University of Texas at Austin

Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resources III Interview

Human Resources III
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in May 2011.

Interview Details – Most jobs at UT go through the same process - online application (complete every step, even the typing test and spelling test if required) or you will be automatically disqualified. There is a phone screen, followed by the hiring committee panel interview and then a final interview with the team you would actually be working with. Preference is given to University work experience. There is usually a Background Check required and for many positions a 3 year driving record.

Interview Question – Questions are the usual thing - What is your biggest challenge in your previous job. Why do you want to work here. What is your biggest weakness. etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – With UT there is very little negotiation. Salary approvals go through a lengthy process and getting an increase is very difficult.

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Undergraduate Research Assistant
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in December 2010.

Interview Details – I simply submitted my resume through GURU and received an email from the graduate student. He asked for a simple meet and greet. I was not expecting a full interview. He went through each and every line of my resume and asked me to explain each role and how I can apply those skills to the new position. Make sure the experiences you have listed on your resume relate somehow to the position you want.

Interview Question – 'Please tell me how *insert past position* will help you succeed as a researcher in our lab.'   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase.

ITS Help Desk Student Consultant Interview

ITS Help Desk Student Consultant
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Interview Details – Phone interview to pre-screen candidates. Ask you about yourself and a few technical questions mostly dealing with how you would troubleshoot an issue or how to find an IP address, etc. In person interview is you being interviewed by the hiring manager and one full-time employee. It is more technical and also has you role play a call.

Interview Question – How you would you troubleshoot an email that is not working   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Program Coordinator
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Interview Details – Three step process. Applications are reviewed by the University HR office, then all eligible candidates are forwarded to the hiring department. Usually applicants undergo a first round of interviews with a group, and are invited back for a final interview with supervisors. The process can sometimes take months.

Interview Question – Have you ever worked with (a certain 'group' of students) before?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – ALWAYS negotiate your entry salary. Once your salary is fixed, the opportunities to significantly increase your pay are rare.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Interview Details – Two interviews, one with each of the two managers at the lab. Simply asked me about my skills using LabVIEW, my goals, and my interest in the area of research and lasers.

Interview Question – It was all behavioral.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in September 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted application through their website. Contacted by HR a few weeks later to set up an interview. Met with director and person who's job I was taking over. 2 weeks later I was contacted for a second interview with additional people the job was working with. I was offered the position a week or so later.

Interview Question – Explain a situation where there was ambiguity. How did you solve the problem?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation with the salary.

Instructional Designer Interview

Instructional Designer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in May 2010.

Interview Details – Initial contact through online job search, once you've loaded your profile you can use it to apply again in the future.

Initial interview with entire team (5 people) then a follow up interview with the supervisor.

Will vary widely from department to department,

Typical interview questions.

Was asked to show my portfolio and complete an "in-basket" exercise to demonstrate my skills with HTML, content evaluation and attention to detail.

Interview Question – Describe a situation in which you needed to resolve a conflict with persons way above your pay grade.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was clearly laid out during initial contact. Flexible hours were negotiated.

Departmental Buyer Interview

Departmental Buyer
Austin, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in February 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online via the UT job search function, but was already working in the department in a different role. Submitted resume only. Interview was with a 5 person interview board of people within and outside the department. Interview consisted of competency based questions. Interviewed on Friday and selected on Monday.

Interview Question – Once you were finished with your work, or if you had nothing to do, what would you do with your time?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, was not able to negotiate.

Senior Software Developer/Analyst Interview

Senior Software Developer/Analyst
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in January 2009.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews followed by a video interview then job offer. Showed my body of work and was hired within a week of first phone call.

Interview Question – Average questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Laboratory Assistant Interview

Laboratory Assistant
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in May 2011.

Interview Details – applied online and then received an email confirming that i had been hired for this position, and could start when i returned from out of town. When i did return a few days later, i was informed that the hiring manager had "forgotten" that he had given the job to me. By then, the position was filled and my job given away

Interview Question – there werent any difficult questions   Answer Question