University of Texas at Austin Interview Questions

Updated Sep 18, 2014

2.5

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

What an interview is like really depends on the department and how savvy they are at interviewing people. The head HR office is not involved in the process. UT staff are not very well educated about what questions they legally can/cannot ask.
    Before being hired, I interviewed for an event assistant position at UT and the woman asked me only a few questions and took very little interest in my answers. I left with the realization that she already knew who she wanted for the position and was just doing the obligatory round of interviews. My assumption proved to be correct, as the rejection letter I received said they had selected an internal candidate.
    My interview with my department was a bit tougher. The first round was a phone interview with the Director. This was followed by a single in-person visit to the office which consisted of an interview with the Director alone and then an interview with the department members I would be assisting, then closure with the Director. The team was not very friendly but the questions were fairly standard. I was hired for the position. My teammates are awkward and do not know how to interview people or what to ask. These days we take it fairly easy on candidates with the questions we ask. The interviews are definitely easier than when I was hired. Having the team interview candidates is fairly pointless because while the Director hears our feedback, he hires people whose personalities are similar to his and whether or not it looks like they will stay in the department for a while.

Interview Questions
    • I think the most difficult question is always something along the lines of, do you get along with others, or how do you deal with conflict, or do people bother you.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Based solely on undergraduate research, GPA and test scores

No negotiations

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Applied through www.hirealonghorn.com, and was notified of interview selection through e-mail. Scheduled a phone interview which lasted for about 30 minutes. Simple questions similar to a behavioral type of interview. "Tell me about yourself", "What are your strengths?", etc are examples of what you should expect.

Senior Administrative Associate Interview

UT has a curious mix of go-getters and "dead weight" when it comes to staff. Seasoned line managers who have hired people before still depend on a business manager who coordinates local HR to identify the best candidates. It has been common in the last 10 years for 100 applicants to apply for admin positions, so expect a phone interview before moving forward with two rounds of interviews in person.

Interview Questions
    • A manager once asked me who my favorite superhero was. She was trying to get a sense of my cultural fit with the division depending on the attitude with which I answered. UT's central HR department would call this an irrelevant question at best because their main concern seems to be to avoid lawsuits ("minimize risk"), but I think the aim of the question was worthwhile. At that time, she was simply doing the best she could to assess cultural fit in a place where central HR tries to maintain the semblance of cultural agnosticism.   Answer Question

Student Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in September 2013.

Meet with the interviewer. Typical questions such as work experience. Not many technical questions. After a while, the interview got more personal and less professional.

Interview Questions
    • Not really any difficult questions. Just simple work experience questions.   Answer Question
    Recieved an email stating I was offered the job.

Research Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

I contacted the team lead directly. We had a phone conversation before in-person meeting. As my background was fairly matching the group expectations, I had the offer immediately after the in-person meeting

As the team leader made it clear that this position would not pay more than what was offered, the negotiation ended at that point.

Student Position Interview

I applied online - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Your future supervisor almost always interviews you. Interviews are usually in their office and very laid back. Interviews usually end with a tour of the office/lab that you will be working in.

There was none

Administrative Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

One panel interview. From start to finish (application to interview), the process took about a month.

Interview Questions
    • Each interview panelist utilized behavioral interviewing questions.   Answer Question

Research Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in May 2013.

One-round phone interview

Interview Questions
    • Asking very detailed about your course projects, since the PI are essentially university professors   Answer Question
    They offered me two positions and let me choose one.

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Texas at Austin in December 2010.

I simply submitted my resume through GURU and received an email from the graduate student. He asked for a simple meet and greet. I was not expecting a full interview. He went through each and every line of my resume and asked me to explain each role and how I can apply those skills to the new position. Make sure the experiences you have listed on your resume relate somehow to the position you want.

Interview Questions
    • 'Please tell me how *insert past position* will help you succeed as a researcher in our lab.'   View Answer
    There was no negotiation phase.