University of Toronto Interview Questions in Canada

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.5

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Toronto in June 2014.

Interview

I was initially contacted by email to set up an in person interview.
    The interview was relatively short (about 20-25 minutes). They asked a some general questions:
    Tell me about yourself?
    Why did you apply to this job?
    Do you know what this department does?
    Do you understand what you will be doing at this job?
    Do you have similar experience?
    And afterwards they asked questions about the job/tasks in particular:
    Are you comfortable doing repetitive tasks? How do you keep yourself focused?
    Tell me an example of when you made a mistake at work and how you handled it?
    How would you ensure that you minimal technical mistakes?
    If you make a mistake in your work, what would you do?
    How would you handle a conflict with a coworker?
    Do you have any questions for me?

Interview Questions

• Tell me an example of when you made a mistake at work and how you handled it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't really a negotiation phase, it was a set hourly wage for the entire summer.

Research Student Interview

Interview

Simple questions regarding day to day jobs in a lab. Theoretical questions related to biochemistry. Practical questions related to carrying out experiments. General questions on personal history, interests, plans for the future, etc.

Summer Student Interview

Interview

Applied for to become a summer helper/ assistant for Continuing Studies Office. Job entailed some on the ground promotion and mainly administrative work (e.g. database management).

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioural interview questions along with some on key computer skills (access, coding), etc.   Answer Question

Toronto Interview

Interview

nothing much but just a lot of question is so dumbing down myself, I am frustrated by the ease of the question, not intellectually chanllenging and not at all test the ability of mine. hence, do expect more and harder question during the second round of interview, if not it means there are too few people entering the posisiotn

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Toronto in March 2014.

Interview

Basic Application Process - Applied Online first.
    Received a call for group interview with senior instructors, had to do activities in interview that tested your teaching and student handling capabilities
    After passing group interview, got a call for 1:1 interview with directors of the outreach office (2 people), Mostly behavioural interview (What does leadership mean to you? Why are you applying etc)

Family reasons

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Received call via email, filled out application, and submitted cover letter and cv.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Applied online for a non-paid position as a research assistant in the department of chemistry. The application consisted of questions about my subjects of study, GPA, prior research experience. I was asked by the professor to come in for an interview. I was offered a job on the spot after touring the lab and accepted.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Interview

you have to apply before the deadline and have all your paper docs ready. sometimes you get a phone call interview from professor who is interested your background and like to have you work in his/her group. but if there is no professor like to have you then you will not hear back from the department. as long as you have the offer, you can just give applications and the department staff will arrange your TA work

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

I applied online to TA job postings. The corresponding professors contacted me by email to arrange an interview if I was selected for that stage. I believe only their preferred applicant is interviewed for quicker hiring, but one professor said he was interviewing others as well. The interviews were short and informal, often focused on education and experience with the subject being taught and the role of a Teaching Assistant. Developing a rapport helped because you work directly with them and represent them. Skills like detail orientation and reliability are also important. Availability is huge, always asked about in my experience.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a student disagreeing with their mark?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The wage is set in the collective agreement and very favourable. However, we did discuss number of hours expected after I accepted the offer, which was signed by both of us to determine the pay I received.

Information Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Apply at the door, simple interview process for work-study.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation