University of Toronto

Updated Dec 2, 2014
Updated Dec 2, 2014

2.5

Teaching Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Toronto.

Once admitted to a graduate program, you will be assigned an advisor (if not already previously arranged) or you will meet with the department administrator. Based on your previous studies or current research interests, you will typically be assigned, rather than be asked to choose, a professor to work with. There's no negotiating this. Because of this, it's not uncommon for scheduling conflicts to arise between the undergraduate class you're assigned and your own graduate school courses.

In some cases, professors will ask to meet you ahead of the class starting to judge the fit, but the likelihood of swapping assignments is slim. Show confidence so you're not taken advantage of by unreasonable work expectations, but do ask as many questions as needed to clarify the professor's expectations and avoid surprises later.

Interview Questions
    • Professors will ask to meet you ahead of the class starting to judge the fit, but the likelihood of swapping assignments is slim. You may be asked how knowledgable you are on the subject matter be taught in class - if in doubt, ask the professor for material and/or suggestions on how to catch up.

There was no mention prior to hiring, but all Teaching Assistants must join the union and pay dues. This also means deferring to the agenda set by the union and occasional strikes during contract negotiations.

Answer Question

Digitalization Assistant Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Toronto in September 2008.

The interview was not very formal and the hiring process was quick. Interviewer was very direct and the questions were straight forward. Dress code was also informal as the position was meant for a student part time. Hence, interviewer was very friendly and was very approachable. The knowledge needed for this job was limited but there was a small learning curve when working there.

Research Student Interview

Simple questions regarding day to day jobs in a lab. Theoretical questions related to biochemistry. Practical questions related to carrying out experiments. General questions on personal history, interests, plans for the future, etc.

Summer Student Interview

Applied for to become a summer helper/ assistant for Continuing Studies Office. Job entailed some on the ground promotion and mainly administrative work (e.g. database management).

Interview Questions
    • Typical behavioural interview questions along with some on key computer skills (access, coding), etc.   Answer Question

Toronto Interview

nothing much but just a lot of question is so dumbing down myself, I am frustrated by the ease of the question, not intellectually chanllenging and not at all test the ability of mine. hence, do expect more and harder question during the second round of interview, if not it means there are too few people entering the posisiotn

Engineering Outreach - DEEP Leadership Instructor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Toronto in March 2014.

Basic Application Process - Applied Online first.
    Received a call for group interview with senior instructors, had to do activities in interview that tested your teaching and student handling capabilities
    After passing group interview, got a call for 1:1 interview with directors of the outreach office (2 people), Mostly behavioural interview (What does leadership mean to you? Why are you applying etc)

Family reasons

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person – interviewed at University of Toronto.

Received call via email, filled out application, and submitted cover letter and cv.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Toronto.

Applied online for a non-paid position as a research assistant in the department of chemistry. The application consisted of questions about my subjects of study, GPA, prior research experience. I was asked by the professor to come in for an interview. I was offered a job on the spot after touring the lab and accepted.

Teaching Assistant Interview

you have to apply before the deadline and have all your paper docs ready. sometimes you get a phone call interview from professor who is interested your background and like to have you work in his/her group. but if there is no professor like to have you then you will not hear back from the department. as long as you have the offer, you can just give applications and the department staff will arrange your TA work

Teaching Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of Toronto.

I applied online to TA job postings. The corresponding professors contacted me by email to arrange an interview if I was selected for that stage. I believe only their preferred applicant is interviewed for quicker hiring, but one professor said he was interviewing others as well. The interviews were short and informal, often focused on education and experience with the subject being taught and the role of a Teaching Assistant. Developing a rapport helped because you work directly with them and represent them. Skills like detail orientation and reliability are also important. Availability is huge, always asked about in my experience.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle a student disagreeing with their mark?   Answer Question
    The wage is set in the collective agreement and very favourable. However, we did discuss number of hours expected after I accepted the offer, which was signed by both of us to determine the pay I received.