University of Toronto Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2015

2.5

Engineering Summer Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2015.

Interview

I approached a professor whose research I was interested in, and asked if we could meet to discuss his research goals. We met for coffee several times and after enough discussion I was offered a summer position in his lab group. He didn't ask for my transcripts, however I believe considering he is a professor in my (small) department, they have easy access should they request it.

Interview Questions

• What aspects of my research are you interested in pursuing?   Answer Question

Manager, Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2014.

Interview

I received an e-mail one week after the posting closed. Some of the instructions given regarding a presentation portion of the interview were not complete. When I arrived at the interview, they asked for additional elements that were not mentioned in the invitation. However, overall the interview went well and was very straightforward. That said, there was a lack of integrity in how the process was handled after the interview. I was never contacted regarding the outcome. Ever. They had said they would make contact in a week or so. After this time had passed, I called and e-mailed multiple times to inquire as to the outcome, and they did not even have the courtesy to respond. I found out that the job was filled by information on the department website, and looked up the successful candidate on LinkedIn. Clearly, the person was not only underqualified for the job, but completely unqualified for the job. It is an obvious case where the manager just simply hired a friend. A lucky escape - would not want to work for such a person, ever.

PASS Program Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2014.

Interview

Interview with a panel of three , but they were super friendly. Sent in my resume and got a reply back a week later to come in for an interview.

Research Assistant - Work Study Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2014.

Interview

This is a part time work study at the university. Very helpful for full time students to earn some pocket money and gain research experience. the interview process is very simply, you meet the professor you are going to work with, answer a few questions, and they usually let you know within the next two business or days. all the background check, reference checks usually come later if you're hired.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Toronto in June 2014.

Interview

I was initially contacted by email to set up an in person interview. The interview was relatively short (about 20-25 minutes). They asked a some general questions: Tell me about yourself? Why did you apply to this job? Do you know what this department does? Do you understand what you will be doing at this job? Do you have similar experience? And afterwards they asked questions about the job/tasks in particular: Are you comfortable doing repetitive tasks? How do you keep yourself focused? Tell me an example of when you made a mistake at work and how you handled it? How would you ensure that you minimal technical mistakes? If you make a mistake in your work, what would you do? How would you handle a conflict with a coworker? Do you have any questions for me?

Interview Questions

• Tell me an example of when you made a mistake at work and how you handled it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't really a negotiation phase, it was a set hourly wage for the entire summer.

Research Student Interview

Interview

Simple questions regarding day to day jobs in a lab. Theoretical questions related to biochemistry. Practical questions related to carrying out experiments. General questions on personal history, interests, plans for the future, etc.

Summer Student Interview

Interview

Applied for to become a summer helper/ assistant for Continuing Studies Office. Job entailed some on the ground promotion and mainly administrative work (e.g. database management).

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioural interview questions along with some on key computer skills (access, coding), etc.   Answer Question

Peer Career Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2014.

Interview

Traditional interview with one employer and you. My supervisor had her questions ready in front of her and took notes. Interview was about 30 mins and no questions were surprising

Interview Questions

• How do you think your experience as a peer career advisor will help you in your own career development?   Answer Question

Toronto Interview

Interview

nothing much but just a lot of question is so dumbing down myself, I am frustrated by the ease of the question, not intellectually chanllenging and not at all test the ability of mine. hence, do expect more and harder question during the second round of interview, if not it means there are too few people entering the posisiotn

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto in March 2014.

Interview

Basic Application Process - Applied Online first. Received a call for group interview with senior instructors, had to do activities in interview that tested your teaching and student handling capabilities After passing group interview, got a call for 1:1 interview with directors of the outreach office (2 people), Mostly behavioural interview (What does leadership mean to you? Why are you applying etc)

Family reasons