University of Toronto

Updated Jan 7, 2015
Updated Jan 7, 2015

2.5

Teaching Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of Toronto.

I applied online to TA job postings. The corresponding professors contacted me by email to arrange an interview if I was selected for that stage. I believe only their preferred applicant is interviewed for quicker hiring, but one professor said he was interviewing others as well. The interviews were short and informal, often focused on education and experience with the subject being taught and the role of a Teaching Assistant. Developing a rapport helped because you work directly with them and represent them. Skills like detail orientation and reliability are also important. Availability is huge, always asked about in my experience.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle a student disagreeing with their mark?   Answer Question
    The wage is set in the collective agreement and very favourable. However, we did discuss number of hours expected after I accepted the offer, which was signed by both of us to determine the pay I received.

Information Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of Toronto.

Apply at the door, simple interview process for work-study.

No negotiation

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Toronto.

Initial interview was about an hour long followed by a skills test.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were faced with a stressful situation that demonstrated your coping skills   Answer Question

Programmer/Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Toronto.

Hired through the u of t portal. they asked varied in depth and semi structured questions. Try to be prepared with past experiences prior to interview

Summer Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Toronto in March 2013.

I was in a different city and we skyped without video. Typical resume questions

Administrative Interview

initial communication

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at University of Toronto.

Written application, writing sample, questions about research interest

Interview Questions
    • What comparative policy issues I consider to be most important in pol. sci.   View Answer

Research Assistant Interview

For Undergraduates only:
    Submit an application to Professor along with the transcripts. Prof interviews regarding basics of the field of research. Once Prof. agrees to take you, send subsequent application to NSERC Canada, which requires acceptance signatures from the Prof. Based on the academic performance and prof recommendation, NSERC processes limited number of applicants each year.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Toronto in January 2013.

Get to know the professors in the department you are interested in. Having a personal connection beforehand with some professors will greatly help you in the TA selection process since you will be well-known in the department. Your relevant course grades will be important, so make sure you do well in those.

Interview Questions
    • Just getting to know the professors beforehand, if you are a shy person by nature you will not do well in a teaching position!   Answer Question

MAsc Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person – interviewed at University of Toronto.

First I applied for the university through University of Toronto's website. They asked for CV and a letter of interest.
    Then I visited some of the professors in the related department (optional) to find out if any of them is willing to get a master student. The first professor interviewed me and sent me to another professor and so on. At the end I was interviewed by four professors and told that I will be contacted after more thinking and reviewing my undergraduate grades and projects.
    I was offered by one the four professors who interviewed me previously and I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Design a related question and answer it. (like an exam question and I was expected to answer it on the blackboard)   Answer Question
    • What are the major related projects that you have done in undergrad and what technical and theoretical challenges you have faced?   Answer Question
    • What tools and software do you know?   Answer Question
    no negotiation room