University of Toronto Interview Questions & Reviews

2.5

Administrative Interview

initial communication

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at University of Toronto.

Written application, writing sample, questions about research interest

Interview Questions
    • What comparative policy issues I consider to be most important in pol. sci.   View Answer

For Undergraduates only:
    Submit an application to Professor along with the transcripts. Prof interviews regarding basics of the field of research. Once Prof. agrees to take you, send subsequent application to NSERC Canada, which requires acceptance signatures from the Prof. Based on the academic performance and prof recommendation, NSERC processes limited number of applicants each year.

Project Assistant (Work Study) Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Toronto in September 2011.

There was a single interview with 1 admin staff, 1 tech staff, and 1 faculty member. It lasted about a half hour and each interviewer asked questions pertaining to their area of expertise as it affected the job.

Interview Questions
    • What would you change about our department   View Answer
    There is no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Toronto in February 2012.

The prof will contact you and set up an interview with you. He/she will ask domain specific questions.

Interview Questions
    There was nothing that I can negotiate.

PhD Candidate Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Toronto in June 2009.

GPA and transcripts are first to be looked at.
    1. good references are crucial
    2. coupling chemistry and water chemistry questions will be asked
    3. self motivation and strong commitment are highly desired

MAsc Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at University of Toronto.

First I applied for the university through University of Toronto's website. They asked for CV and a letter of interest.
    Then I visited some of the professors in the related department (optional) to find out if any of them is willing to get a master student. The first professor interviewed me and sent me to another professor and so on. At the end I was interviewed by four professors and told that I will be contacted after more thinking and reviewing my undergraduate grades and projects.
    I was offered by one the four professors who interviewed me previously and I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Design a related question and answer it. (like an exam question and I was expected to answer it on the blackboard)   Answer Question
    • What are the major related projects that you have done in undergrad and what technical and theoretical challenges you have faced?   Answer Question
    • What tools and software do you know?   Answer Question
    no negotiation room

Isabel Bader Theatre Usher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Toronto in January 2010.

Straightforward interview questions, conflict resolution, teamwork, leadership, you have to provide examples of how you have had to work with others in a front of house setting dealing with people who may be difficult or frustrated.

Interview Questions
    • Provide an example where you have had to deal with a difficult person.   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Toronto.

Professors will hire based on the following criteria:

1. if you have worked in this course
    2. Other experience, if you have worked for another prof in another course
    3. Marks in the course

Grad students have greater chance to get the position that undergrads.

n/a

Event Coordinator Interview

Sent in application - heard back relatively quickly for an initial meeting with the manager.

Interview Questions
    • If you were manager, how would you work with those under your supervision? Ie what is your management style?   Answer Question