University of Toronto Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2015

2.4

MAsc Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

First I applied for the university through University of Toronto's website. They asked for CV and a letter of interest. Then I visited some of the professors in the related department (optional) to find out if any of them is willing to get a master student. The first professor interviewed me and sent me to another professor and so on. At the end I was interviewed by four professors and told that I will be contacted after more thinking and reviewing my undergraduate grades and projects. I was offered by one the four professors who interviewed me previously and I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Design a related question and answer it. (like an exam question and I was expected to answer it on the blackboard)   Answer Question
    • What are the major related projects that you have done in undergrad and what technical and theoretical challenges you have faced?   Answer Question
    • What tools and software do you know?   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation room

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

Professors will hire based on the following criteria: 1. if you have worked in this course 2. Other experience, if you have worked for another prof in another course 3. Marks in the course Grad students have greater chance to get the position that undergrads.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

n/a

Event Coordinator Interview

Interview

Sent in application - heard back relatively quickly for an initial meeting with the manager.

Interview Questions

• If you were manager, how would you work with those under your supervision? Ie what is your management style?   Answer Question

IT Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Toronto in September 2012.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for an interview. The interview itself consisted of behavioural and technical questions, and all questions were fair. I was informed of the work environment and what my role would be. After the interview, I was promptly told of my results and my offer package.

Interview Questions

• How do you find a solution to a problem if you don't have any assistance from seniors?   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Interview

The interview process was long and endurance driven but it had to be done. I was interviewed by the whole lab and then finally spoke with the professor. He was nice and polite and very detailed about the project that I was about to embark.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think that I should accept you into this lab?   Answer Question

Summer Student Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

Potential applicants have to contact the professors directly through email. The number of professors contacted can range from a few to more than 50. In the email, the applicant has to state an interest to work in the lab, demonstrate some knowledge of what the lab is working on, incorporate a resume that details qualifications and experiences. Interested professors will email back and set up the interview. The interview process varies greatly, depending on the professor. Some professors are very selective while others are not.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions relating to the professor's current research   Answer Question

Usher Interview

Interview

The interview process was short and simple. All the questions were based on the interviewees feedback on customer service as working both independently, and as a team member. A question like, "what qualities do you have to contribute to our hall and services" was asked.

Interview Questions

• "What is a challenge or fear you feel you might experience as a Convocation Hall employee"   Answer Question

PhD Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Toronto in May 2012.

Interview

Professors will care about what you did before. More technical questions. Lots of research plan in the future. Questions like what will be your research interest will be asked. It is very competetive as the school is very famous. But they treat everyone good once you get enrolled.

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2012.

Interview

called to book the inverview via phone. Asked several references, including 2 professional references to the interview. Asked some general questions such as why should they hire me, why would I want to work there and what skills/weaknesses I had. Also some situational questions that were a bit tricky to answer.

Interview Questions

• what is your one weakness that wouldn't allow you to work as a receptionist?   Answer Question

Research Student Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Toronto in March 2012.

Interview

Sent email to a professor with same research interest as mine. Got interview and was hired.

Interview Questions

• None. It was a light interview with more emphasis on just asking about my skills, past projects and interests. My marks in relevant courses gave me a pass on skill check. I believe they are interested with students with good grades and real passion for the work that they do.   Answer Question