University of Toronto PhD Student Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2015

PhD Student Interview

Interview

The interview process was long and endurance driven but it had to be done. I was interviewed by the whole lab and then finally spoke with the professor. He was nice and polite and very detailed about the project that I was about to embark.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think that I should accept you into this lab?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for University of Toronto

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2011.

Interview

I was a master student working in the same lab. So for me there wasn't any interview. But based on other colleagues, you do need to have outstanding grades or publications in order to get an interview opportunity. The interview includes a talk with the professor, and usually lunch with the current lab members. Both are important.

Interview Questions

• what is your research interest? and why are you interested in our lab?   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2008.

Interview

The undergraduate grade is important (GPA: at least 3.4 out of 4.0). Getting accepted into the program is not difficult, but finding a supevisor with funding is the tricky part. A good way to find out which professor has the most funding is perform a manual search on publication database (e.g. PubMed) and see who has the most publications in the past 3 - 5 years. Pick out 2 - 3 professor that has the highest productivity, and go for the one that you have interest and experience in.

Interview Questions

• How can your experience contribute to our lab?   Answer Question
    • Have you thought of an innovative question to explore within our lab's resources?   Answer Question