University of Toronto

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview Details – Applied online for a non-paid position as a research assistant in the department of chemistry. The application consisted of questions about my subjects of study, GPA, prior research experience. I was asked by the professor to come in for an interview. I was offered a job on the spot after touring the lab and accepted.

Interview Question – What do you see yourself doing in 5 years?   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview Details – Written application, writing sample, questions about research interest

Interview Question – What comparative policy issues I consider to be most important in pol. sci.   View Answer

Interviewed at University of Toronto

Interview Details – For Undergraduates only:
Submit an application to Professor along with the transcripts. Prof interviews regarding basics of the field of research. Once Prof. agrees to take you, send subsequent application to NSERC Canada, which requires acceptance signatures from the Prof. Based on the academic performance and prof recommendation, NSERC processes limited number of applicants each year.

Interview Question – Why choose this lab over the other one?   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Toronto in February 2012.

Interview Details – The prof will contact you and set up an interview with you. He/she will ask domain specific questions.

Interview Question – Nothing very special.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was nothing that I can negotiate.

Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Toronto in September 2010.

Interview Details – Emailed the professor saying i wanted the job. He emailed me back. Set up a date to meet in his office and he asked me behavioural and situation questions. Also asked me about my previous work experiences and how it might relate to this position. Need strong math skills, and asked if I had interest in the field of work .

Interview Question – Describe a situation where your skills were tested   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Toronto in March 2009.

Interview Details – After the initial emails, sent to many primary investigators, I received an email from one of the junior researchers looking for a research assistant to help with a project. The initial email gave me an idea of what the project was about, so I read about it beforehand to have something to say during the interview. Also, during the interview, there were several background questions regarding the material required knowledge for the project, which I was able to answer. Very down-to-earth atmosphere and carefree interview, just to find someone to help them with their project. Overall good process, but should rely less on marks before choosing someone. Perhaps some more weight on previous experience would help.

Interview Questions

• What projects were you involved with in the past?   View Answer
  • What goals do you have for the future that fall in line with working in a research lab   View Answers (2)

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Toronto

Worked for University of Toronto? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Toronto Research Assistant interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of Toronto employees and interview candidates.