University of Toronto Research Assistant Interview Questions

2.4

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Toronto.

Applied online for a non-paid position as a research assistant in the department of chemistry. The application consisted of questions about my subjects of study, GPA, prior research experience. I was asked by the professor to come in for an interview. I was offered a job on the spot after touring the lab and accepted.

Other Interview Reviews for University of Toronto

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at University of Toronto.

Written application, writing sample, questions about research interest

Interview Questions
    • What comparative policy issues I consider to be most important in pol. sci.   View Answer

For Undergraduates only:
    Submit an application to Professor along with the transcripts. Prof interviews regarding basics of the field of research. Once Prof. agrees to take you, send subsequent application to NSERC Canada, which requires acceptance signatures from the Prof. Based on the academic performance and prof recommendation, NSERC processes limited number of applicants each year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Toronto in February 2012.

The prof will contact you and set up an interview with you. He/she will ask domain specific questions.

Interview Questions
    There was nothing that I can negotiate.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Toronto in September 2010.

Emailed the professor saying i wanted the job. He emailed me back. Set up a date to meet in his office and he asked me behavioural and situation questions. Also asked me about my previous work experiences and how it might relate to this position. Need strong math skills, and asked if I had interest in the field of work .

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Toronto in March 2009.

After the initial emails, sent to many primary investigators, I received an email from one of the junior researchers looking for a research assistant to help with a project. The initial email gave me an idea of what the project was about, so I read about it beforehand to have something to say during the interview. Also, during the interview, there were several background questions regarding the material required knowledge for the project, which I was able to answer. Very down-to-earth atmosphere and carefree interview, just to find someone to help them with their project. Overall good process, but should rely less on marks before choosing someone. Perhaps some more weight on previous experience would help.

Interview Questions
    • What projects were you involved with in the past?   View Answer
    • What goals do you have for the future that fall in line with working in a research lab   View Answers (2)