University of Toronto Teaching Assistant Interview Questions

2.0

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

Once admitted to a graduate program, you will be assigned an advisor (if not already previously arranged) or you will meet with the department administrator. Based on your previous studies or current research interests, you will typically be assigned, rather than be asked to choose, a professor to work with. There's no negotiating this. Because of this, it's not uncommon for scheduling conflicts to arise between the undergraduate class you're assigned and your own graduate school courses. In some cases, professors will ask to meet you ahead of the class starting to judge the fit, but the likelihood of swapping assignments is slim. Show confidence so you're not taken advantage of by unreasonable work expectations, but do ask as many questions as needed to clarify the professor's expectations and avoid surprises later.

Interview Questions

• Professors will ask to meet you ahead of the class starting to judge the fit, but the likelihood of swapping assignments is slim. You may be asked how knowledgable you are on the subject matter be taught in class - if in doubt, ask the professor for material and/or suggestions on how to catch up. There was no mention prior to hiring, but all Teaching Assistants must join the union and pay dues. This also means deferring to the agenda set by the union and occasional strikes during contract negotiations.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for University of Toronto

Teaching Assistant Interview

Interview

you have to apply before the deadline and have all your paper docs ready. sometimes you get a phone call interview from professor who is interested your background and like to have you work in his/her group. but if there is no professor like to have you then you will not hear back from the department. as long as you have the offer, you can just give applications and the department staff will arrange your TA work

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

I applied online to TA job postings. The corresponding professors contacted me by email to arrange an interview if I was selected for that stage. I believe only their preferred applicant is interviewed for quicker hiring, but one professor said he was interviewing others as well. The interviews were short and informal, often focused on education and experience with the subject being taught and the role of a Teaching Assistant. Developing a rapport helped because you work directly with them and represent them. Skills like detail orientation and reliability are also important. Availability is huge, always asked about in my experience.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a student disagreeing with their mark?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The wage is set in the collective agreement and very favourable. However, we did discuss number of hours expected after I accepted the offer, which was signed by both of us to determine the pay I received.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2013.

Interview

Get to know the professors in the department you are interested in. Having a personal connection beforehand with some professors will greatly help you in the TA selection process since you will be well-known in the department. Your relevant course grades will be important, so make sure you do well in those.

Interview Questions

• Just getting to know the professors beforehand, if you are a shy person by nature you will not do well in a teaching position!   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

Professors will hire based on the following criteria: 1. if you have worked in this course 2. Other experience, if you have worked for another prof in another course 3. Marks in the course Grad students have greater chance to get the position that undergrads.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

n/a