University of Utah Graduate Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2014

2.0

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Utah.

There are two ways to get your feet in the door. Either doing a detailed research and contacting faculty members prior to officially submitting your application For that here's my suggestion. 1) Do your homework ahead of time and make a thorough research on different programs, colleges at which you would like to pursue a degree 2) Once you can be more specific about what you want to do, what kind of research interests you figure out the best faculty members that fits the field you would like to do research in 3) Make sure you update your CV (must be detailed, several pages for someone who has completed college, worked a job at least for a year or two) and look into sample cover letters to make sure to include why you are applying to specific program. It is crucial to link how your previous experience would make you a good fit to the program you are applying. Even if you don't have any experience in the field, be enthusiastic, original and show you know where the field is going, or at least show interest in doing research in the field (be sure to include reasons and justifications for that). It is not easy to write these letters so, that's why if you have any chance to attend conferences, workshops related to the field try to do that. At least use the internet effectively to get a better sense of why that field of research is important and how you see yourself contributing to the field once you are accepted to the program.

Interview Questions
  • I met my adviser at an international conference, and prior to attending the conference I already knew he was going to be there and I was well prepared to introduce myself, hand out my CV and tell him why I was interested in joining his research group. Since it was not a formal interview, he liked my proactive approach and things went well (simply because he had a project he needed to find a graduate student to work on)   Answer Question
There is nothing to negotiate for graduate student offers. You just accept it. The salary is pretty much the same within US. Health insurance coverage might be different, but that's it.

Other Interview Reviews for University of Utah

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at University of Utah in March 2010.

We came in on Thursday. A busy Friday talked with 5 or so professors. On Saturday, went to ski. Its great. Sat evening, its poster session. There were lots of poster presented by fellow graduate student. Its a great opportunity to learn what they doing.

Interview Questions
    • No questions asked. They just talk their way. You just sit there listening   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at University of Utah in September 2013.

They asked me a lot of questions regarding the projects i did during my undergraduate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Utah.

Hiring was through informal talks with a professor

Interview Questions
    Taking a class from the professor helps a long way in securing a research assistant position

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at University of Utah.

Hired through routine graduate program administration procedure - applied internationally to the graduate program and the graduate research assistant position with personal statement, resume, and reference letter before the deadline. 5 months later got an invitation letter, and the graduate research assistant position. It was a very regular graduate school application procedure.

No negotiation. Straightforward RA salary based on NIH guideline

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Utah.

I contacted the professors one by one and arrange a time in their office. Then go through the application process. The interview is to make sure they need my skill and they want to suppose my PhD program.

Interview Questions
    • There was no unexpected question, but the working load is much more than I expect.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at University of Utah.

Heavily weighted by transcripts and letters of recommendation. Indications of past success are huge. Candidates with some previous graduate school experience have an advantage.

Interview Questions
    Virtually no negotiation. Not much flexibility in what students can haggle.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Interviewing at the University of Utah to join their Molecular Biology PhD program is a really great experience. They know they're competing with Harvard, Stanford, etc (much bigger and more well-known schools), so they try to compete by showing off the city and the outdoors opportunities, and also by showing off the wonderful faculty and students at the U.

Every interview candidate has a chance to go skiing/snowboarding at Brighton and to meet with pretty much any faculty member they want to.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Utah in July 2008.

The interview process is similar to may graduate programs with the exception that the University of Utah offers several additional benefits, such as skiing, and hiking that are often used to help entice students to come.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. I asked if I could come here and they said yes.

Worked for University of Utah? Contribute to the Community!