University of Utah

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at University of Utah in September 2013.

Interview Details – They asked me a lot of questions regarding the projects i did during my undergraduate.

Interview Question – No Difficult Question   Answer Question

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Utah.

Interview Details – Hiring was through informal talks with a professor

Interview Question – Questions are tailored to your prior experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Taking a class from the professor helps a long way in securing a research assistant position

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at University of Utah.

Interview Details – Hired through routine graduate program administration procedure - applied internationally to the graduate program and the graduate research assistant position with personal statement, resume, and reference letter before the deadline. 5 months later got an invitation letter, and the graduate research assistant position. It was a very regular graduate school application procedure.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Straightforward RA salary based on NIH guideline

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Utah.

Interview Details – I contacted the professors one by one and arrange a time in their office. Then go through the application process. The interview is to make sure they need my skill and they want to suppose my PhD program.

Interview Question – There was no unexpected question, but the working load is much more than I expect.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at University of Utah.

Interview Details – Heavily weighted by transcripts and letters of recommendation. Indications of past success are huge. Candidates with some previous graduate school experience have an advantage.

Interview Question – What do you want to work on?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Virtually no negotiation. Not much flexibility in what students can haggle.

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at University of Utah in March 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewing at the University of Utah to join their Molecular Biology PhD program is a really great experience. They know they're competing with Harvard, Stanford, etc (much bigger and more well-known schools), so they try to compete by showing off the city and the outdoors opportunities, and also by showing off the wonderful faculty and students at the U.

Every interview candidate has a chance to go skiing/snowboarding at Brighton and to meet with pretty much any faculty member they want to.

Interview Question – Describe your desired research program.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Utah in July 2008.

Interview Details – The interview process is similar to may graduate programs with the exception that the University of Utah offers several additional benefits, such as skiing, and hiking that are often used to help entice students to come.

Interview Question – Didn't have one.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I asked if I could come here and they said yes.

Worked for University of Utah? Contribute to the Community!