University of Utah

Updated Nov 19, 2014
Updated Nov 19, 2014

2.3

Resident Advisor Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Utah.

Resume submission, group interview that was spread across 2 3-hour sessions, 2 in-person interviews. They watch you very carefully during the group interview to see how you are interacting with people. Being a follower and not being positive about the tasks they gave us were the two biggest things that eliminated people. The tasks themselves were pretty pointless (build a city out of blocks) and were just to see how we interacted with a group.

Interview Questions
    • "How would you deal with complaints you don't know how to handle?"   Answer Question

Scanning Coordinator Interview

This was a great interview experience. I had all interviewers ask very useful questions without feeling overwhelmed. There were 6 people interviewing me and i was able to give insight into how I could help each of their departments, which was useful in allowing my future coworkers to understand my work ethic.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

The depatment emailed me about the position. I applied. About 5 of us were interviewed. The interview happened a week after the job position was posted. One of our professors took the interview wiht a client, who was from the chemistry department.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Utah.

There are two ways to get your feet in the door. Either doing a detailed research and contacting faculty members prior to officially submitting your application For that here's my suggestion. 1) Do your homework ahead of time and make a thorough research on different programs, colleges at which you would like to pursue a degree 2) Once you can be more specific about what you want to do, what kind of research interests you figure out the best faculty members that fits the field you would like to do research in 3) Make sure you update your CV (must be detailed, several pages for someone who has completed college, worked a job at least for a year or two) and look into sample cover letters to make sure to include why you are applying to specific program. It is crucial to link how your previous experience would make you a good fit to the program you are applying. Even if you don't have any experience in the field, be enthusiastic, original and show you know where the field is going, or at least show interest in doing research in the field (be sure to include reasons and justifications for that). It is not easy to write these letters so, that's why if you have any chance to attend conferences, workshops related to the field try to do that. At least use the internet effectively to get a better sense of why that field of research is important and how you see yourself contributing to the field once you are accepted to the program.

Interview Questions
    • I met my adviser at an international conference, and prior to attending the conference I already knew he was going to be there and I was well prepared to introduce myself, hand out my CV and tell him why I was interested in joining his research group. Since it was not a formal interview, he liked my proactive approach and things went well (simply because he had a project he needed to find a graduate student to work on)   Answer Question
    There is nothing to negotiate for graduate student offers. You just accept it. The salary is pretty much the same within US. Health insurance coverage might be different, but that's it.

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Started working in the same place where I got my doctorate. Based on my performance in previous years I got this offer. So no specific interview process or questions to me for this job.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Utah.

Resume submitted, committee interview, hiring supervisor interview, job offer. Had previously worked with the supervisor during a mufti institutional event. Knew he would be an exceptional boss. The hiring committee was diverse but generally identified the need for improved customer service.

Interview Questions
    • Most challenging part of current position.   View Answer
    Amount to match current salary.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of Utah in July 2014.

It took them 3 months after I applied for them to call me. When they did I was asked to come in and take a test that included questions about SQL, Excel, and problem solving. After taking the test it only took a couple of days fro them to call me for an interview. The odd thing was that both times they called, for the test and the interview, they just had me write down the address and time and never sent me a confirmation email with all the details.

The actual interview had the typical interview questions like "explain a time when you had to confront a colleague." It was a very standard interview and they seemed bored and uninterested to be there from the very beginning, even though I felt like I gave good answers and tried to liven it up a little. There were two financial analysts and one person from HR in the interview. They explained all of the job functions and so-called benefits of working for them. The benefits really just included the same things that every other company has, namely a couple of weeks of PTO a year, 401k match, Health Insurance, and a few Holidays off. Nothing spectacular. They said that the next step would be to meet with their boss if he chose to and then they would make their decision. It was about a week and a half later when I received an email indicating that they were not going to select me for the job.

Overall I was unimpressed with the organization of the interview process and the company seemed very bureaucratic.

Interview Questions
    • If there are eight cubes that all look the same, but one of them is heavier than the others, can you figure out which one is the heavier one by only measuring twice using a balanced scale.   Answer Question

Marketing & Communications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Utah in June 2014.

It took about two weeks to go through the entire interview process. Initial communications were by phone to schedule an interview onsite for one-on-one with their Director of Marketing. The day I went to the interview, it was not one-on-one, it was a panel interview with three interviewers on the panel. The director was very upbeat and nice. The other two individuals were the exact opposite. The interview was in a small cluttered office. They said I would hear from them with a final decision one way or the other by the end of the week. Started off with questions 'Tell me about yourself' and 'what's the difference between marketing and branding'...I sent a follow up thank you email and called Monday after not hearing from them. On Tuesday I received a letter via post mail stating I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think is the biggest challenge facing the university campus store industry
      Give an example of how you have effectively managed a tight budget to accomplish a marketing activity
        Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Utah in April 2014.

Very relaxed interview process. They gave me a programming assignment in Java and asked to finish in 4 days. The assignment was generally easy. It required implementing a data structures based algorithm.

I didn't negotiate

Facility Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Utah.

The hiring and interview process was good. Applications are done online and then someone gives you a call to schedule the interview with the department manager. The manager then gets back to you following the interview to let you know if you are offered the job or not.

Interview Questions
    An offer was made and I had the option to accept or decline.