University of Utah Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

2.4

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at University of Utah in September 2013.

Interview

I’ll first start off by talking about the initial application submission. I wasn’t sure if the University of Utah used an automated filtering system/automatic data extraction function with their electronic applicants, and seeing as how I was using a PDF for my resume, I had to call the employment department just to make sure. They informed me that actual humans do review each application, so anyone who submits a PDF or other in-extractable document type need not worry about this.

After submitting my application, it took about 1.5 weeks to first hear back from the hiring manager. She was very enthusiastic and requested that I submit a marketing proposal as part of the first round of interviews. I won’t get into the details of it, but she did provide some guidelines for what was to be included in the proposal. I was given about a week to complete the proposal and submit it back to her.

It took about another week or week and a half to hear back from her again. I was very excited to have been selected to meet with her and a few others in person as part of the second round of interviews. I assumed at this point that there were only less than a handful of candidates they were seriously considering, so I felt confident. However, the second round interview was frankly, grueling. I’m not sure if this is an institution-wide procedure, but I was required to do a 15-minute presentation to the team I would be working with, followed by half an hour of panel interviews (by the same team of people), followed by another 45-minute interview with just the hiring manager and the director, and finally, to wrap up the TWO HOUR ordeal, a 20-minute writing test, which was to write a short marketing piece on the spot.

This was the first time in my career that I’d experienced an interview process such as this one. I understand that a top institution would want to hire the best of the best (well, what company wouldn’t), but is it really necessary to make the candidate do a presentation AND a panel interview? Definitely seemed a little too bureaucratic for my taste. Not to mention, I definitely felt that dialogue was not encouraged. It was simply answer-the-question-answer-the-question-answer-the-question. No time to really have a real, human discussion.

To satisfy the bonus points, I’ll give my two cents on the people and company culture. From what I picked up during the in-person interviews, the atmosphere definitely seemed a little more serious than what I’d imagined. One thing I emphasized several times throughout the interview, was that in my previous experience of being a student at the University of Utah, everyone I’d met who’d worked there seemed so happy and proud of what they did there. Ironically, the people interviewing me hardly seemed happy or proud at all. But maybe this was just a departmental issue. I can attest to this observation because during my presentation, I took a “joke break” and cracked a few jokes to lighten the mood a little, and I got a poor, disheartening response from the team. But the way I see it is, I probably wouldn’t have been a good fit there anyway if I wasn’t allowed to be myself.

Oh, one last thing: I spent around a good 24 hours in total preparing for a job that I wouldn't even get in the end (from brainstorming for the marketing proposal and putting it together, to preparing for the interview, to spending two hours at the in-person interview). I won't say it was a monumental waste of time, but... well, you get it.

Interview Questions

• What do you think are the top three barriers for non-traditional students or students of an ethnic minority to successfully attain a higher education?   1 Answer

Recruiting Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Utah in January 2010.

Interview

Interview process consisted of phone interview then a 1:1 interivew followed by a presentation to a group/pan interivew. The team was helpful and enthusiastic.

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Utah in October 2008.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of four interviews.

Marketing & Communications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2014.

Interview

It took about two weeks to go through the entire interview process. Initial communications were by phone to schedule an interview onsite for one-on-one with their Director of Marketing. The day I went to the interview, it was not one-on-one, it was a panel interview with three interviewers on the panel. The director was very upbeat and nice. The other two individuals were the exact opposite. The interview was in a small cluttered office. They said I would hear from them with a final decision one way or the other by the end of the week. Started off with questions 'Tell me about yourself' and 'what's the difference between marketing and branding'...I sent a follow up thank you email and called Monday after not hearing from them. On Tuesday I received a letter via post mail stating I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the biggest challenge facing the university campus store industry
      Give an example of how you have effectively managed a tight budget to accomplish a marketing activity

Answer Question

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at University of Utah in March 2012.

Interview

I applied through graduate school and found an academic adviser who was interested to hire me to work in his/her lab. Then I kept email communication with the Professor and he/she interviewed me on different topics. He/she assigned me tasks to make sure I qualify for the position.

Interview Questions

• I was not able to perform as expected in one of my PI's project.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negociation

Resident Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Utah.

Interview

Resume submission, group interview that was spread across 2 3-hour sessions, 2 in-person interviews. They watch you very carefully during the group interview to see how you are interacting with people. Being a follower and not being positive about the tasks they gave us were the two biggest things that eliminated people. The tasks themselves were pretty pointless (build a city out of blocks) and were just to see how we interacted with a group.

Interview Questions

• "How would you deal with complaints you don't know how to handle?"   Answer Question

Bio Statistician II Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Utah in December 2012.

Interview

it is not very easy. a lots of statistical knowledge to ask and program questions. how to work with others? why do you choose our department.and if you work different people.and good teams. good coworkers and help each other.

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2014.

Interview

applied online, two interviews, one on one style, mostly talked about scheduling, experience, and what type of worker one is. The process of hiring, especially for part-time, is quite quick.

Executive Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2015.

Interview

The entire process took 2-3 Business Days. I was an employee referral, and met with the Administrative Manager and the Department Chair/Professor face-to-face to discuss qualifications, background and job duties.

Interview Questions

• What are your long term goals (i.e. two years)?   1 Answer
    • Give an example of a time you dealt with a difficult customer and how did you resolve the issue?   1 Answer

Software Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Utah in December 2014.

Interview

3 rounds. Applied through university website. Got call from HR after a week. They scheduled technical phone interview with the team. Happy to got the call from her on the same day for face to face round which they scheduled for next week. Met the team and manager.

After face to face got a call from them to meet the director of the department. Got the offer next week !!

Interview Questions

• Mostly technical question and some behavioral questions.   Answer Question