University of Utah Interview Questions

Updated Sep 30, 2014
Updated Sep 30, 2014

2.3

Marketing and Communications Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at University of Utah in September 2013.

I’ll first start off by talking about the initial application submission. I wasn’t sure if the University of Utah used an automated filtering system/automatic data extraction function with their electronic applicants, and seeing as how I was using a PDF for my resume, I had to call the employment department just to make sure. They informed me that actual humans do review each application, so anyone who submits a PDF or other in-extractable document type need not worry about this.

After submitting my application, it took about 1.5 weeks to first hear back from the hiring manager. She was very enthusiastic and requested that I submit a marketing proposal as part of the first round of interviews. I won’t get into the details of it, but she did provide some guidelines for what was to be included in the proposal. I was given about a week to complete the proposal and submit it back to her.

It took about another week or week and a half to hear back from her again. I was very excited to have been selected to meet with her and a few others in person as part of the second round of interviews. I assumed at this point that there were only less than a handful of candidates they were seriously considering, so I felt confident. However, the second round interview was frankly, grueling. I’m not sure if this is an institution-wide procedure, but I was required to do a 15-minute presentation to the team I would be working with, followed by half an hour of panel interviews (by the same team of people), followed by another 45-minute interview with just the hiring manager and the director, and finally, to wrap up the TWO HOUR ordeal, a 20-minute writing test, which was to write a short marketing piece on the spot.

This was the first time in my career that I’d experienced an interview process such as this one. I understand that a top institution would want to hire the best of the best (well, what company wouldn’t), but is it really necessary to make the candidate do a presentation AND a panel interview? Definitely seemed a little too bureaucratic for my taste. Not to mention, I definitely felt that dialogue was not encouraged. It was simply answer-the-question-answer-the-question-answer-the-question. No time to really have a real, human discussion.

To satisfy the bonus points, I’ll give my two cents on the people and company culture. From what I picked up during the in-person interviews, the atmosphere definitely seemed a little more serious than what I’d imagined. One thing I emphasized several times throughout the interview, was that in my previous experience of being a student at the University of Utah, everyone I’d met who’d worked there seemed so happy and proud of what they did there. Ironically, the people interviewing me hardly seemed happy or proud at all. But maybe this was just a departmental issue. I can attest to this observation because during my presentation, I took a “joke break” and cracked a few jokes to lighten the mood a little, and I got a poor, disheartening response from the team. But the way I see it is, I probably wouldn’t have been a good fit there anyway if I wasn’t allowed to be myself.

Oh, one last thing: I spent around a good 24 hours in total preparing for a job that I wouldn't even get in the end (from brainstorming for the marketing proposal and putting it together, to preparing for the interview, to spending two hours at the in-person interview). I won't say it was a monumental waste of time, but... well, you get it.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think are the top three barriers for non-traditional students or students of an ethnic minority to successfully attain a higher education?   View Answer

Recruiting Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Utah in January 2010.

Interview process consisted of phone interview then a 1:1 interivew followed by a presentation to a group/pan interivew. The team was helpful and enthusiastic.

Senior Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Utah in October 2008.

The hiring process consisted of four interviews.

Marketing & Communications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Utah in June 2014.

It took about two weeks to go through the entire interview process. Initial communications were by phone to schedule an interview onsite for one-on-one with their Director of Marketing. The day I went to the interview, it was not one-on-one, it was a panel interview with three interviewers on the panel. The director was very upbeat and nice. The other two individuals were the exact opposite. The interview was in a small cluttered office. They said I would hear from them with a final decision one way or the other by the end of the week. Started off with questions 'Tell me about yourself' and 'what's the difference between marketing and branding'...I sent a follow up thank you email and called Monday after not hearing from them. On Tuesday I received a letter via post mail stating I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think is the biggest challenge facing the university campus store industry
      Give an example of how you have effectively managed a tight budget to accomplish a marketing activity
        Answer Question

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at University of Utah in March 2012.

I applied through graduate school and found an academic adviser who was interested to hire me to work in his/her lab. Then I kept email communication with the Professor and he/she interviewed me on different topics. He/she assigned me tasks to make sure I qualify for the position.

Interview Questions
    • I was not able to perform as expected in one of my PI's project.   Answer Question
    No negociation

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of Utah in July 2014.

It took them 3 months after I applied for them to call me. When they did I was asked to come in and take a test that included questions about SQL, Excel, and problem solving. After taking the test it only took a couple of days fro them to call me for an interview. The odd thing was that both times they called, for the test and the interview, they just had me write down the address and time and never sent me a confirmation email with all the details.

The actual interview had the typical interview questions like "explain a time when you had to confront a colleague." It was a very standard interview and they seemed bored and uninterested to be there from the very beginning, even though I felt like I gave good answers and tried to liven it up a little. There were two financial analysts and one person from HR in the interview. They explained all of the job functions and so-called benefits of working for them. The benefits really just included the same things that every other company has, namely a couple of weeks of PTO a year, 401k match, Health Insurance, and a few Holidays off. Nothing spectacular. They said that the next step would be to meet with their boss if he chose to and then they would make their decision. It was about a week and a half later when I received an email indicating that they were not going to select me for the job.

Overall I was unimpressed with the organization of the interview process and the company seemed very bureaucratic.

Interview Questions
    • If there are eight cubes that all look the same, but one of them is heavier than the others, can you figure out which one is the heavier one by only measuring twice using a balanced scale.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Utah.

Resume submitted, committee interview, hiring supervisor interview, job offer. Had previously worked with the supervisor during a mufti institutional event. Knew he would be an exceptional boss. The hiring committee was diverse but generally identified the need for improved customer service.

Interview Questions
    • Most challenging part of current position.   View Answer
    Amount to match current salary.

Executive Cabinet Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Utah in May 2008.

Sat in a circle with the elected executive officers. Fairly easy. Tag-teamed the questions. Some of the questions were a bit subjective: what does diversity mean to you.

App Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Utah in September 2009.

face to face interview was easy

no negotiation

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of Utah in April 2010.

Initially submitted resume online. I heard back from Idaho Technology within a couple of weeks of posting my resume. They did a screening interview very brief about 10 mins. Later, I was contacted by lab manager to have a sit down interview. The interview consisted of technical questions and character questions. I was contacted a week later for a group interview. I meet the lab employees and was taken to lunch at an upscale restaurant downtown. The atmosphere was relaxed and it was more casual conversation than interview questions. I was contacted a week later with a rejection.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example when you had to reach a deadline and the circumstances were not ideal.   View Answer