University of Utah

Updated Nov 19, 2014

2.3

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at University of Utah in June 2012.

Every thing was very simple and straight forward. I was referred by someone who use to work here back then and it was all a breeze. I interviewed on a Friday and surprisingly I had an offer on the following Tuesday (in spite of being an international candidate living in Salt Lake City for more than 2 years).

Interview Questions
    My supervisor offered me the lowest on the scale for the position. I asked him if we could move to the mid range and he said he would look at it after I started. I grabbed the opportunity without further discussion because I was unemployed for 2 years.

Resident Advisor Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Utah.

Resume submission, group interview that was spread across 2 3-hour sessions, 2 in-person interviews. They watch you very carefully during the group interview to see how you are interacting with people. Being a follower and not being positive about the tasks they gave us were the two biggest things that eliminated people. The tasks themselves were pretty pointless (build a city out of blocks) and were just to see how we interacted with a group.

Interview Questions
    • "How would you deal with complaints you don't know how to handle?"   Answer Question

Scanning Coordinator Interview

This was a great interview experience. I had all interviewers ask very useful questions without feeling overwhelmed. There were 6 people interviewing me and i was able to give insight into how I could help each of their departments, which was useful in allowing my future coworkers to understand my work ethic.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

The depatment emailed me about the position. I applied. About 5 of us were interviewed. The interview happened a week after the job position was posted. One of our professors took the interview wiht a client, who was from the chemistry department.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at University of Utah in March 2012.

I applied through graduate school and found an academic adviser who was interested to hire me to work in his/her lab. Then I kept email communication with the Professor and he/she interviewed me on different topics. He/she assigned me tasks to make sure I qualify for the position.

Interview Questions
    • I was not able to perform as expected in one of my PI's project.   Answer Question
    No negociation

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Utah.

There are two ways to get your feet in the door. Either doing a detailed research and contacting faculty members prior to officially submitting your application For that here's my suggestion. 1) Do your homework ahead of time and make a thorough research on different programs, colleges at which you would like to pursue a degree 2) Once you can be more specific about what you want to do, what kind of research interests you figure out the best faculty members that fits the field you would like to do research in 3) Make sure you update your CV (must be detailed, several pages for someone who has completed college, worked a job at least for a year or two) and look into sample cover letters to make sure to include why you are applying to specific program. It is crucial to link how your previous experience would make you a good fit to the program you are applying. Even if you don't have any experience in the field, be enthusiastic, original and show you know where the field is going, or at least show interest in doing research in the field (be sure to include reasons and justifications for that). It is not easy to write these letters so, that's why if you have any chance to attend conferences, workshops related to the field try to do that. At least use the internet effectively to get a better sense of why that field of research is important and how you see yourself contributing to the field once you are accepted to the program.

Interview Questions
    • I met my adviser at an international conference, and prior to attending the conference I already knew he was going to be there and I was well prepared to introduce myself, hand out my CV and tell him why I was interested in joining his research group. Since it was not a formal interview, he liked my proactive approach and things went well (simply because he had a project he needed to find a graduate student to work on)   Answer Question
    There is nothing to negotiate for graduate student offers. You just accept it. The salary is pretty much the same within US. Health insurance coverage might be different, but that's it.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at University of Utah in March 2010.

We came in on Thursday. A busy Friday talked with 5 or so professors. On Saturday, went to ski. Its great. Sat evening, its poster session. There were lots of poster presented by fellow graduate student. Its a great opportunity to learn what they doing.

Interview Questions
    • No questions asked. They just talk their way. You just sit there listening   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Started working in the same place where I got my doctorate. Based on my performance in previous years I got this offer. So no specific interview process or questions to me for this job.

Pharmacy Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Utah in December 2010.

I work with the "U" in the past and I have some Problems With My Back Ending on a surgery, back on December last year I am fully recovery now. I been trying to come back if is possible to my previous job in the inpatient site but I don't have any success I am willing to start from bases even with all experience that I have.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Utah.

Resume submitted, committee interview, hiring supervisor interview, job offer. Had previously worked with the supervisor during a mufti institutional event. Knew he would be an exceptional boss. The hiring committee was diverse but generally identified the need for improved customer service.

Interview Questions
    • Most challenging part of current position.   View Answer
    Amount to match current salary.