University of Utah

Average Difficulty
43 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Utah.

Interview Details – Hiring was through informal talks with a professor

Interview Question – Questions are tailored to your prior experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Taking a class from the professor helps a long way in securing a research assistant position

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at University of Utah.

Interview Details – Hired through routine graduate program administration procedure - applied internationally to the graduate program and the graduate research assistant position with personal statement, resume, and reference letter before the deadline. 5 months later got an invitation letter, and the graduate research assistant position. It was a very regular graduate school application procedure.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Straightforward RA salary based on NIH guideline

Research Technician Interview

Research Technician

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Utah.

Interview Details – An interview was set up initially by emailing the individual principle investigator of the lab. The interview consisted of talking about my previous research experiences, what my duties would entail, and a tour of the laboratory facilities and an introduction to other lab personnel. I received an offer within a week, but I waited several weeks to respond while I sorted out my options.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions, but I did get an unexpected question about my convictions of working with human embryonic stem cells. I was also asked if I would mind maintaining mouse colonies for genetic research. Between animal right activists and religious people, they have to ask those kind of questions in order to know whether or not I could perform the work that they were hiring me to do.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for $2/hour more based on my experience and education.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Utah.

Interview Details – Good, but difficult questions were asked that lasted about 30 minutes it was nothing much beyond that I would say that it was okay but ultimately it was not called but there could be some preparation made if you wanted to prepare that would be your choice

Interview Question – note your questions   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Undergraduate Researcher Interview

Undergraduate Researcher

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at University of Utah.

Interview Details – Got hired because one of my professors worked for the company and they offered me a job based off of my in class performance.

Interview Question – What do you want to do with the rest of your life?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was open to me as I was an undergraduate.

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Utah.

Interview Details – I contacted the professors one by one and arrange a time in their office. Then go through the application process. The interview is to make sure they need my skill and they want to suppose my PhD program.

Interview Question – There was no unexpected question, but the working load is much more than I expect.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

Interviewed at University of Utah

Interview Details – Talk with the professor and some basic skill questions

Interview Question – most questions are very basic and normal   Answer Question

Data Entry Specialist Interview

Data Entry Specialist

Interviewed at University of Utah

Interview Details – Asked typical questions about how I handled a difficult situation.

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at University of Utah.

Interview Details – Heavily weighted by transcripts and letters of recommendation. Indications of past success are huge. Candidates with some previous graduate school experience have an advantage.

Interview Question – What do you want to work on?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Virtually no negotiation. Not much flexibility in what students can haggle.

Graduate Student Instructor Interview

Graduate Student Instructor

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at University of Utah in February 2009.

Interview Details – Typical grad student interview, but they send acceptances the week following interviews, which is a great benefit.

Interview Question – Why not another university?   Answer Question