University of Utah

Updated Dec 18, 2014
Updated Dec 18, 2014

2.3

Facility Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Utah.

The hiring and interview process was good. Applications are done online and then someone gives you a call to schedule the interview with the department manager. The manager then gets back to you following the interview to let you know if you are offered the job or not.

Interview Questions
    An offer was made and I had the option to accept or decline.

Assistant Professor In Health Sciences Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Utah.

Standard two presentations; misleading statements about the amount of support and collegiality there would be, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What endpoints will you use to evaluate your experiments?   Answer Question
    I received a higher start-up package than expected - the only thing good about the department was the Chair.

Clinical RN Interview

Email communications with manager followed by formal interview with manager followed by peer interview

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had a conflict with a co-worker and explain how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Utah.

Hiring was through informal talks with a professor

Interview Questions
    Taking a class from the professor helps a long way in securing a research assistant position

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at University of Utah.

Hired through routine graduate program administration procedure - applied internationally to the graduate program and the graduate research assistant position with personal statement, resume, and reference letter before the deadline. 5 months later got an invitation letter, and the graduate research assistant position. It was a very regular graduate school application procedure.

No negotiation. Straightforward RA salary based on NIH guideline

Research Technician Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Utah.

An interview was set up initially by emailing the individual principle investigator of the lab. The interview consisted of talking about my previous research experiences, what my duties would entail, and a tour of the laboratory facilities and an introduction to other lab personnel. I received an offer within a week, but I waited several weeks to respond while I sorted out my options.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, but I did get an unexpected question about my convictions of working with human embryonic stem cells. I was also asked if I would mind maintaining mouse colonies for genetic research. Between animal right activists and religious people, they have to ask those kind of questions in order to know whether or not I could perform the work that they were hiring me to do.   Answer Question
    I asked for $2/hour more based on my experience and education.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Utah.

Good, but difficult questions were asked that lasted about 30 minutes it was nothing much beyond that I would say that it was okay but ultimately it was not called but there could be some preparation made if you wanted to prepare that would be your choice

Undergraduate Researcher Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of Utah.

Got hired because one of my professors worked for the company and they offered me a job based off of my in class performance.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation was open to me as I was an undergraduate.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Utah.

I contacted the professors one by one and arrange a time in their office. Then go through the application process. The interview is to make sure they need my skill and they want to suppose my PhD program.

Interview Questions
    • There was no unexpected question, but the working load is much more than I expect.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Talk with the professor and some basic skill questions