University of Utah Interview Questions

Updated Sep 30, 2014

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Utah.

Hiring was through informal talks with a professor

Interview Questions
    Taking a class from the professor helps a long way in securing a research assistant position

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at University of Utah.

Hired through routine graduate program administration procedure - applied internationally to the graduate program and the graduate research assistant position with personal statement, resume, and reference letter before the deadline. 5 months later got an invitation letter, and the graduate research assistant position. It was a very regular graduate school application procedure.

No negotiation. Straightforward RA salary based on NIH guideline

Research Technician Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Utah.

An interview was set up initially by emailing the individual principle investigator of the lab. The interview consisted of talking about my previous research experiences, what my duties would entail, and a tour of the laboratory facilities and an introduction to other lab personnel. I received an offer within a week, but I waited several weeks to respond while I sorted out my options.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, but I did get an unexpected question about my convictions of working with human embryonic stem cells. I was also asked if I would mind maintaining mouse colonies for genetic research. Between animal right activists and religious people, they have to ask those kind of questions in order to know whether or not I could perform the work that they were hiring me to do.   Answer Question
    I asked for $2/hour more based on my experience and education.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Utah.

Good, but difficult questions were asked that lasted about 30 minutes it was nothing much beyond that I would say that it was okay but ultimately it was not called but there could be some preparation made if you wanted to prepare that would be your choice

Undergraduate Researcher Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of Utah.

Got hired because one of my professors worked for the company and they offered me a job based off of my in class performance.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation was open to me as I was an undergraduate.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Utah.

I contacted the professors one by one and arrange a time in their office. Then go through the application process. The interview is to make sure they need my skill and they want to suppose my PhD program.

Interview Questions
    • There was no unexpected question, but the working load is much more than I expect.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Talk with the professor and some basic skill questions

Data Entry Specialist Interview

Asked typical questions about how I handled a difficult situation.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Utah.

Heavily weighted by transcripts and letters of recommendation. Indications of past success are huge. Candidates with some previous graduate school experience have an advantage.

Interview Questions
    Virtually no negotiation. Not much flexibility in what students can haggle.

Marketing and Communications Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at University of Utah in September 2013.

I’ll first start off by talking about the initial application submission. I wasn’t sure if the University of Utah used an automated filtering system/automatic data extraction function with their electronic applicants, and seeing as how I was using a PDF for my resume, I had to call the employment department just to make sure. They informed me that actual humans do review each application, so anyone who submits a PDF or other in-extractable document type need not worry about this.

After submitting my application, it took about 1.5 weeks to first hear back from the hiring manager. She was very enthusiastic and requested that I submit a marketing proposal as part of the first round of interviews. I won’t get into the details of it, but she did provide some guidelines for what was to be included in the proposal. I was given about a week to complete the proposal and submit it back to her.

It took about another week or week and a half to hear back from her again. I was very excited to have been selected to meet with her and a few others in person as part of the second round of interviews. I assumed at this point that there were only less than a handful of candidates they were seriously considering, so I felt confident. However, the second round interview was frankly, grueling. I’m not sure if this is an institution-wide procedure, but I was required to do a 15-minute presentation to the team I would be working with, followed by half an hour of panel interviews (by the same team of people), followed by another 45-minute interview with just the hiring manager and the director, and finally, to wrap up the TWO HOUR ordeal, a 20-minute writing test, which was to write a short marketing piece on the spot.

This was the first time in my career that I’d experienced an interview process such as this one. I understand that a top institution would want to hire the best of the best (well, what company wouldn’t), but is it really necessary to make the candidate do a presentation AND a panel interview? Definitely seemed a little too bureaucratic for my taste. Not to mention, I definitely felt that dialogue was not encouraged. It was simply answer-the-question-answer-the-question-answer-the-question. No time to really have a real, human discussion.

To satisfy the bonus points, I’ll give my two cents on the people and company culture. From what I picked up during the in-person interviews, the atmosphere definitely seemed a little more serious than what I’d imagined. One thing I emphasized several times throughout the interview, was that in my previous experience of being a student at the University of Utah, everyone I’d met who’d worked there seemed so happy and proud of what they did there. Ironically, the people interviewing me hardly seemed happy or proud at all. But maybe this was just a departmental issue. I can attest to this observation because during my presentation, I took a “joke break” and cracked a few jokes to lighten the mood a little, and I got a poor, disheartening response from the team. But the way I see it is, I probably wouldn’t have been a good fit there anyway if I wasn’t allowed to be myself.

Oh, one last thing: I spent around a good 24 hours in total preparing for a job that I wouldn't even get in the end (from brainstorming for the marketing proposal and putting it together, to preparing for the interview, to spending two hours at the in-person interview). I won't say it was a monumental waste of time, but... well, you get it.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think are the top three barriers for non-traditional students or students of an ethnic minority to successfully attain a higher education?   View Answer