University of Utah Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2014

2.2

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Utah in April 2014.

Very relaxed interview process. They gave me a programming assignment in Java and asked to finish in 4 days. The assignment was generally easy. It required implementing a data structures based algorithm.

I didn't negotiate

Staff RN Interview

I applied online - interviewed at University of Utah in September 2012.

One interview with a single manager. Currently, I think they have 2 or more interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • n/a (interview questions were not difficult or unusual   Answer Question
    I was asked what my salary requirements were. HR offered what I asked for, no negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at University of Utah in September 2013.

They asked me a lot of questions regarding the projects i did during my undergraduate.

Facility Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at University of Utah.

The hiring and interview process was good. Applications are done online and then someone gives you a call to schedule the interview with the department manager. The manager then gets back to you following the interview to let you know if you are offered the job or not.

Interview Questions
    An offer was made and I had the option to accept or decline.

Assistant Professor In Health Sciences Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at University of Utah.

Standard two presentations; misleading statements about the amount of support and collegiality there would be, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What endpoints will you use to evaluate your experiments?   Answer Question
    I received a higher start-up package than expected - the only thing good about the department was the Chair.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Utah in January 2010.

Wrote a letter to my PI with my CV. I was invited out for an interview, which involved a presentation of my research with detailed questions and answers followed by a discussion of potential projects with the PI and one on one meetings with other individuals in the lab.

Interview Questions
    • I presented my PhD research, and was grilled by the entire lab on my technical work.   Answer Question
    no real negotiation phase. postdoc salaries are linked to the NIH scale. I was able to decide when I started.

Clinical RN Interview

Email communications with manager followed by formal interview with manager followed by peer interview

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had a conflict with a co-worker and explain how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Utah.

Hiring was through informal talks with a professor

Interview Questions
    Taking a class from the professor helps a long way in securing a research assistant position

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at University of Utah.

Hired through routine graduate program administration procedure - applied internationally to the graduate program and the graduate research assistant position with personal statement, resume, and reference letter before the deadline. 5 months later got an invitation letter, and the graduate research assistant position. It was a very regular graduate school application procedure.

No negotiation. Straightforward RA salary based on NIH guideline

Research Technician Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Utah.

An interview was set up initially by emailing the individual principle investigator of the lab. The interview consisted of talking about my previous research experiences, what my duties would entail, and a tour of the laboratory facilities and an introduction to other lab personnel. I received an offer within a week, but I waited several weeks to respond while I sorted out my options.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, but I did get an unexpected question about my convictions of working with human embryonic stem cells. I was also asked if I would mind maintaining mouse colonies for genetic research. Between animal right activists and religious people, they have to ask those kind of questions in order to know whether or not I could perform the work that they were hiring me to do.   Answer Question
    I asked for $2/hour more based on my experience and education.