University of Utah Interview Questions

Updated Dec 18, 2014
Updated Dec 18, 2014

2.3

Data Entry Specialist Interview

Asked typical questions about how I handled a difficult situation.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Utah.

Heavily weighted by transcripts and letters of recommendation. Indications of past success are huge. Candidates with some previous graduate school experience have an advantage.

Interview Questions
    Virtually no negotiation. Not much flexibility in what students can haggle.

Marketing and Communications Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at University of Utah in September 2013.

I’ll first start off by talking about the initial application submission. I wasn’t sure if the University of Utah used an automated filtering system/automatic data extraction function with their electronic applicants, and seeing as how I was using a PDF for my resume, I had to call the employment department just to make sure. They informed me that actual humans do review each application, so anyone who submits a PDF or other in-extractable document type need not worry about this.

After submitting my application, it took about 1.5 weeks to first hear back from the hiring manager. She was very enthusiastic and requested that I submit a marketing proposal as part of the first round of interviews. I won’t get into the details of it, but she did provide some guidelines for what was to be included in the proposal. I was given about a week to complete the proposal and submit it back to her.

It took about another week or week and a half to hear back from her again. I was very excited to have been selected to meet with her and a few others in person as part of the second round of interviews. I assumed at this point that there were only less than a handful of candidates they were seriously considering, so I felt confident. However, the second round interview was frankly, grueling. I’m not sure if this is an institution-wide procedure, but I was required to do a 15-minute presentation to the team I would be working with, followed by half an hour of panel interviews (by the same team of people), followed by another 45-minute interview with just the hiring manager and the director, and finally, to wrap up the TWO HOUR ordeal, a 20-minute writing test, which was to write a short marketing piece on the spot.

This was the first time in my career that I’d experienced an interview process such as this one. I understand that a top institution would want to hire the best of the best (well, what company wouldn’t), but is it really necessary to make the candidate do a presentation AND a panel interview? Definitely seemed a little too bureaucratic for my taste. Not to mention, I definitely felt that dialogue was not encouraged. It was simply answer-the-question-answer-the-question-answer-the-question. No time to really have a real, human discussion.

To satisfy the bonus points, I’ll give my two cents on the people and company culture. From what I picked up during the in-person interviews, the atmosphere definitely seemed a little more serious than what I’d imagined. One thing I emphasized several times throughout the interview, was that in my previous experience of being a student at the University of Utah, everyone I’d met who’d worked there seemed so happy and proud of what they did there. Ironically, the people interviewing me hardly seemed happy or proud at all. But maybe this was just a departmental issue. I can attest to this observation because during my presentation, I took a “joke break” and cracked a few jokes to lighten the mood a little, and I got a poor, disheartening response from the team. But the way I see it is, I probably wouldn’t have been a good fit there anyway if I wasn’t allowed to be myself.

Oh, one last thing: I spent around a good 24 hours in total preparing for a job that I wouldn't even get in the end (from brainstorming for the marketing proposal and putting it together, to preparing for the interview, to spending two hours at the in-person interview). I won't say it was a monumental waste of time, but... well, you get it.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think are the top three barriers for non-traditional students or students of an ethnic minority to successfully attain a higher education?   View Answer

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Utah in September 2013.

They asked me a lot of questions regarding the projects i did during my undergraduate.

Study Coordinator Interview

Fairly simple and straight forward. Had to highlight all of my experiences and why i wanted to work in that field.

Interview Questions
    • If you could write an autobiography what would the title be and why?   Answer Question
    No negotiations

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Utah in April 2013.

The process was a bit truncated as it was the end of the year and they wanted to move fast. I participated in a phone interview with the full committee. After that I was invited for the two-day on-campus interview. During the trip I met with 3 committees, the search committee, students, and gave a campus talk.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question centered on how I go about maintaining self-care in a difficult/highly political work environment.   Answer Question
    They definitely low-balled me at first. I looked up salaries for comparable people at the institution (public records) and received what I asked for.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Utah in December 2012.

I applied for the job of teaching assistant online along with applying for Masters degree here at Uni of Utah, I think they give you preference if not only your academic records are good but also you mention on the application that you won't be able to attend school without getting the TAship.

Interview Questions
    • Once they have reviewed and approved your resume submitted online, you are assigned to some professor and then he asks a few simple questions related to the course you will be TAing, nothing difficult.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Research Fellow Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Utah in November 2012.

The hiring process began in grad school where I volunteered to do research on a project. After I graduated, I found an opportunity with the lead researcher. There was not really an interview, more of a get to know you conversation.

Staff RN Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Utah in September 2012.

One interview with a single manager. Currently, I think they have 2 or more interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • n/a (interview questions were not difficult or unusual   Answer Question
    I was asked what my salary requirements were. HR offered what I asked for, no negotiating.

Graduate Student Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Utah in July 2012.

I was approached about this opportunity. After submitting a resume I was contacted within a week to set up an interview. The interview was very informal, and focused on the responsibilities of the job and the commitment it would require.

Within another week I had a job offer, and started teaching the hen the semester started two weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about my knowledge of e software we would be using in the class, as well as my use of the University's LMS.   Answer Question