University of Utah Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2014

2.2

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Utah in December 2012.

I applied for the job of teaching assistant online along with applying for Masters degree here at Uni of Utah, I think they give you preference if not only your academic records are good but also you mention on the application that you won't be able to attend school without getting the TAship.

Interview Questions
    • Once they have reviewed and approved your resume submitted online, you are assigned to some professor and then he asks a few simple questions related to the course you will be TAing, nothing difficult.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Accounting Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online - interviewed at University of Utah in July 2008.

Depends on the Department, usually a phone interview, then a interview or two.

Interview Questions
    Departments will always blame human resources for the amount of money they can offer you, but Human Resources only suggests a range based upon your experience. The department can choose to pay you whatever they want.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Utah in July 2008.

The interview process is similar to may graduate programs with the exception that the University of Utah offers several additional benefits, such as skiing, and hiking that are often used to help entice students to come.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. I asked if I could come here and they said yes.

Graduate Student Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of Utah in July 2012.

I was approached about this opportunity. After submitting a resume I was contacted within a week to set up an interview. The interview was very informal, and focused on the responsibilities of the job and the commitment it would require.

Within another week I had a job offer, and started teaching the hen the semester started two weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about my knowledge of e software we would be using in the class, as well as my use of the University's LMS.   Answer Question

Lab Technician I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

The process took a day - interviewed at University of Utah in April 2010.

Talked with PI. Was a referal from previous lab.

Interview Questions
    • What was it like working with another lab tech?   View Answer
    Not willing to negotiate without leverage. Offered $1 more per hour than competitor.

Lab Technician I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Utah in July 2010.

Was referred by previous employer.

Interview Questions
    • What was it like to work with enother employee.   View Answer
    There was one offer and no more.

Driver I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Utah in May 2011.

The process of applying to the driver position was actually quite easy. I applied online, as the University has just adopted an "online only" hiring process. That only took me about 3 min to complete because once you have applied to one position, it saves the information so that you can blow through other applications.

It took about 3 weeks to get a call, and I was invited to an interview. It was the easiest interview that I have ever done. It took about 15 min, the manager outlined the work, which was actually driving a cart to pick up outdoor trash. I took it!

Interview Questions
    • This is more of a waste management job than a driving job, would you still be interested?   View Answer

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at University of Utah in April 2010.

Initially submitted resume online. I heard back from Idaho Technology within a couple of weeks of posting my resume. They did a screening interview very brief about 10 mins. Later, I was contacted by lab manager to have a sit down interview. The interview consisted of technical questions and character questions. I was contacted a week later for a group interview. I meet the lab employees and was taken to lunch at an upscale restaurant downtown. The atmosphere was relaxed and it was more casual conversation than interview questions. I was contacted a week later with a rejection.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example when you had to reach a deadline and the circumstances were not ideal.   View Answer

Quality Assurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Verona, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Utah in January 2009.

Turned in resume, and had a phone interview.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Utah in July 2010.

The process of interviewing for a postdoctoral research (fellow) is to first get a phone interview. These are given to the top ~10 candidates. If the interviewer is still interested (usually the top ~4), he/she will fly the candidate out to the university to meet in person to have more time with individual. Research processes are shared to help both parties determine if the new position will be a good fit. Additional meetings with other professors are scheduled and a seminar on recent work is usually presented by the interviewee. After that, we wait until we hear back with a no or yes.

Interview Questions
    • What do you want to do if you come work here?   View Answer