University of Utah Interview Questions in Salt Lake City, UT

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.2

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

I met the PI of the lab and discussed the research focus of the lab and potential projects. I then met with members of the lab to discuss their projects and then gave a 1 hour presentation of my graduate work.

Interview Questions

• What about this lab's research focus interests you? Do you or will you have your own funding? Would the "weird" reputation of Utah pose any issues for you?   Answer Question

Executive Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2015.

Interview

The entire process took 2-3 Business Days. I was an employee referral, and met with the Administrative Manager and the Department Chair/Professor face-to-face to discuss qualifications, background and job duties.

Interview Questions

• What are your long term goals (i.e. two years)?   1 Answer
    • Give an example of a time you dealt with a difficult customer and how did you resolve the issue?   1 Answer

Bookstore Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2015.

Interview

I thought it was not too hard. It's pretty quick, but they do ask a good amount of questions. It's very important to be on time, in fact, early is best. Dress to impress and speak clearly, especially since this position is a lot of talking with customers.

Interview Questions

• How is your knowledge of Apple and PC products?   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Resume submitted, committee interview, hiring supervisor interview, job offer. Had previously worked with the supervisor during a mufti institutional event. Knew he would be an exceptional boss. The hiring committee was diverse but generally identified the need for improved customer service.

Interview Questions

• Most challenging part of current position.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Amount to match current salary.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) in July 2014.

Interview

It took them 3 months after I applied for them to call me. When they did I was asked to come in and take a test that included questions about SQL, Excel, and problem solving. After taking the test it only took a couple of days fro them to call me for an interview. The odd thing was that both times they called, for the test and the interview, they just had me write down the address and time and never sent me a confirmation email with all the details. The actual interview had the typical interview questions like "explain a time when you had to confront a colleague." It was a very standard interview and they seemed bored and uninterested to be there from the very beginning, even though I felt like I gave good answers and tried to liven it up a little. There were two financial analysts and one person from HR in the interview. They explained all of the job functions and so-called benefits of working for them. The benefits really just included the same things that every other company has, namely a couple of weeks of PTO a year, 401k match, Health Insurance, and a few Holidays off. Nothing spectacular. They said that the next step would be to meet with their boss if he chose to and then they would make their decision. It was about a week and a half later when I received an email indicating that they were not going to select me for the job. Overall I was unimpressed with the organization of the interview process and the company seemed very bureaucratic.

Interview Questions

• If there are eight cubes that all look the same, but one of them is heavier than the others, can you figure out which one is the heavier one by only measuring twice using a balanced scale.   Answer Question

Marketing & Communications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2014.

Interview

It took about two weeks to go through the entire interview process. Initial communications were by phone to schedule an interview onsite for one-on-one with their Director of Marketing. The day I went to the interview, it was not one-on-one, it was a panel interview with three interviewers on the panel. The director was very upbeat and nice. The other two individuals were the exact opposite. The interview was in a small cluttered office. They said I would hear from them with a final decision one way or the other by the end of the week. Started off with questions 'Tell me about yourself' and 'what's the difference between marketing and branding'...I sent a follow up thank you email and called Monday after not hearing from them. On Tuesday I received a letter via post mail stating I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the biggest challenge facing the university campus store industry Give an example of how you have effectively managed a tight budget to accomplish a marketing activity   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2014.

Interview

Very relaxed interview process. They gave me a programming assignment in Java and asked to finish in 4 days. The assignment was generally easy. It required implementing a data structures based algorithm.

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate

Assistant Professor In Health Sciences Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Standard two presentations; misleading statements about the amount of support and collegiality there would be, etc.

Interview Questions

• What endpoints will you use to evaluate your experiments?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I received a higher start-up package than expected - the only thing good about the department was the Chair.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Hiring was through informal talks with a professor

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Taking a class from the professor helps a long way in securing a research assistant position

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2014.

Interview

applied online, two interviews, one on one style, mostly talked about scheduling, experience, and what type of worker one is. The process of hiring, especially for part-time, is quite quick.