University of Utah

2.2

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Utah.

Resume submitted, committee interview, hiring supervisor interview, job offer. Had previously worked with the supervisor during a mufti institutional event. Knew he would be an exceptional boss. The hiring committee was diverse but generally identified the need for improved customer service.

Interview Questions
    • Most challenging part of current position.   View Answer
    Amount to match current salary.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of Utah in July 2014.

It took them 3 months after I applied for them to call me. When they did I was asked to come in and take a test that included questions about SQL, Excel, and problem solving. After taking the test it only took a couple of days fro them to call me for an interview. The odd thing was that both times they called, for the test and the interview, they just had me write down the address and time and never sent me a confirmation email with all the details.

The actual interview had the typical interview questions like "explain a time when you had to confront a colleague." It was a very standard interview and they seemed bored and uninterested to be there from the very beginning, even though I felt like I gave good answers and tried to liven it up a little. There were two financial analysts and one person from HR in the interview. They explained all of the job functions and so-called benefits of working for them. The benefits really just included the same things that every other company has, namely a couple of weeks of PTO a year, 401k match, Health Insurance, and a few Holidays off. Nothing spectacular. They said that the next step would be to meet with their boss if he chose to and then they would make their decision. It was about a week and a half later when I received an email indicating that they were not going to select me for the job.

Overall I was unimpressed with the organization of the interview process and the company seemed very bureaucratic.

Interview Questions
    • If there are eight cubes that all look the same, but one of them is heavier than the others, can you figure out which one is the heavier one by only measuring twice using a balanced scale.   Answer Question

Marketing & Communications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Utah in June 2014.

It took about two weeks to go through the entire interview process. Initial communications were by phone to schedule an interview onsite for one-on-one with their Director of Marketing. The day I went to the interview, it was not one-on-one, it was a panel interview with three interviewers on the panel. The director was very upbeat and nice. The other two individuals were the exact opposite. The interview was in a small cluttered office. They said I would hear from them with a final decision one way or the other by the end of the week. Started off with questions 'Tell me about yourself' and 'what's the difference between marketing and branding'...I sent a follow up thank you email and called Monday after not hearing from them. On Tuesday I received a letter via post mail stating I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think is the biggest challenge facing the university campus store industry
      Give an example of how you have effectively managed a tight budget to accomplish a marketing activity
        Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Utah in April 2014.

Very relaxed interview process. They gave me a programming assignment in Java and asked to finish in 4 days. The assignment was generally easy. It required implementing a data structures based algorithm.

I didn't negotiate

Assistant Professor In Health Sciences Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Utah.

Standard two presentations; misleading statements about the amount of support and collegiality there would be, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What endpoints will you use to evaluate your experiments?   Answer Question
    I received a higher start-up package than expected - the only thing good about the department was the Chair.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Utah.

Hiring was through informal talks with a professor

Interview Questions
    Taking a class from the professor helps a long way in securing a research assistant position

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Utah in September 2013.

They asked me a lot of questions regarding the projects i did during my undergraduate.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Utah in December 2012.

I applied for the job of teaching assistant online along with applying for Masters degree here at Uni of Utah, I think they give you preference if not only your academic records are good but also you mention on the application that you won't be able to attend school without getting the TAship.

Interview Questions
    • Once they have reviewed and approved your resume submitted online, you are assigned to some professor and then he asks a few simple questions related to the course you will be TAing, nothing difficult.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Graduate Student Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Utah in July 2012.

I was approached about this opportunity. After submitting a resume I was contacted within a week to set up an interview. The interview was very informal, and focused on the responsibilities of the job and the commitment it would require.

Within another week I had a job offer, and started teaching the hen the semester started two weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about my knowledge of e software we would be using in the class, as well as my use of the University's LMS.   Answer Question

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at University of Utah in June 2012.

Every thing was very simple and straight forward. I was referred by someone who use to work here back then and it was all a breeze. I interviewed on a Friday and surprisingly I had an offer on the following Tuesday (in spite of being an international candidate living in Salt Lake City for more than 2 years).

Interview Questions
    My supervisor offered me the lowest on the scale for the position. I asked him if we could move to the mid range and he said he would look at it after I started. I grabbed the opportunity without further discussion because I was unemployed for 2 years.