University of Utah

Very Easy Interview

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Undergraduate Research Assistant
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Utah in June 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very straight forward. I simply submitted my resume online. I needed the recommendation of two teacher from high school (or professors at the University of Utah). After I submitted my resume, I received a call from the professor from the University of Utah. He asked me a few questions about my interests in his research and some of my coursework. Overall, it was a very simply and relaxed process.

Marketing & Communications Coordinator Interview

Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Utah in June 2014.

Interview Details – It took about two weeks to go through the entire interview process. Initial communications were by phone to schedule an interview onsite for one-on-one with their Director of Marketing. The day I went to the interview, it was not one-on-one, it was a panel interview with three interviewers on the panel. The director was very upbeat and nice. The other two individuals were the exact opposite. The interview was in a small cluttered office. They said I would hear from them with a final decision one way or the other by the end of the week. Started off with questions 'Tell me about yourself' and 'what's the difference between marketing and branding'...I sent a follow up thank you email and called Monday after not hearing from them. On Tuesday I received a letter via post mail stating I didn't get the job.

Interview Question – What do you think is the biggest challenge facing the university campus store industry
Give an example of how you have effectively managed a tight budget to accomplish a marketing activity
  Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Utah in April 2014.

Interview Details – Very relaxed interview process. They gave me a programming assignment in Java and asked to finish in 4 days. The assignment was generally easy. It required implementing a data structures based algorithm.

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at University of Utah in September 2013.

Interview Details – They asked me a lot of questions regarding the projects i did during my undergraduate.

Interview Question – No Difficult Question   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Assistant Professor In Health Sciences Interview

Assistant Professor In Health Sciences
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at University of Utah.

Interview Details – Standard two presentations; misleading statements about the amount of support and collegiality there would be, etc.

Interview Question – What endpoints will you use to evaluate your experiments?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I received a higher start-up package than expected - the only thing good about the department was the Chair.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Utah in January 2010.

Interview Details – Wrote a letter to my PI with my CV. I was invited out for an interview, which involved a presentation of my research with detailed questions and answers followed by a discussion of potential projects with the PI and one on one meetings with other individuals in the lab.

Interview Question – I presented my PhD research, and was grilled by the entire lab on my technical work.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no real negotiation phase. postdoc salaries are linked to the NIH scale. I was able to decide when I started.

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Utah.

Interview Details – Hiring was through informal talks with a professor

Interview Question – Questions are tailored to your prior experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Taking a class from the professor helps a long way in securing a research assistant position

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at University of Utah in March 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewing at the University of Utah to join their Molecular Biology PhD program is a really great experience. They know they're competing with Harvard, Stanford, etc (much bigger and more well-known schools), so they try to compete by showing off the city and the outdoors opportunities, and also by showing off the wonderful faculty and students at the U.

Every interview candidate has a chance to go skiing/snowboarding at Brighton and to meet with pretty much any faculty member they want to.

Interview Question – Describe your desired research program.   Answer Question

Lab Technician Interview

Lab Technician
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Utah in December 2009.

Interview Details – Hired because I knew the lab manager and had lab experience, was a telephone interview, went very smoothly.

Interview Question – How long are you wiling to work here? This job requires 6 months of training and you will only be hired if you can commit at least 2 years, I would prefer 5.   View Answer

Teaching Assistant Interview

Teaching Assistant
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Utah in December 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for the job of teaching assistant online along with applying for Masters degree here at Uni of Utah, I think they give you preference if not only your academic records are good but also you mention on the application that you won't be able to attend school without getting the TAship.

Interview Question – Once they have reviewed and approved your resume submitted online, you are assigned to some professor and then he asks a few simple questions related to the course you will be TAing, nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for University of Utah? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Utah interview questions and advice in Salt Lake City, UT. All 21 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of Utah employees and interview candidates.