University of Warwick

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Fellow (Design of Gas Sensing Systems) Interview

Research Fellow (Design of Gas Sensing Systems)

I applied online - interviewed at University of Warwick in October 2013.

Interview Details – I received an invitation to the interview in 1.5-2 months after app deadline. It was a phone interview. The panel included 3 persons (Prof, HR, researcher)

Interview Question – The questions were about my experience with programming of MCU/FPGA, designing of gas detection systems, but not detailed ones. There was a question on my style of presenting slides to the audience.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – This was the position for 1.5 years. When I was accepted, it turned out that the position is just for 9 months. The salary offered started from the lowest threshold even though I had an excellent matching and already had 4 years of experience in the same position. Persons I was in contact after the inerview promised great future, but did not provide direct answers to my questions and tried to avoid them - only generic answers.

Associate Professor Interview

Associate Professor

Interviewed at University of Warwick

Interview Details – Lack of transparency in interview requirements. Deliberately difficult questions to trick interviewee. Received offer by phone same day. Asked the chair to meet again. Chair said they were busy cleaning up after the interviews.

Interview Question – Question challenging why I wanted to work at the university.   Answer Question

Research Officer Interview

Research Officer
Coventry, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Warwick in September 2013.

Interview Details – Clear communication prior to the interview and after job offer

Negotiation Details – straightforward

PhD Student In Mathematical Biology and Biophysical Chemistry Interview

PhD Student In Mathematical Biology and Biophysical Chemistry
Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Warwick in July 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process basically is a process of talking to the supervisor and students.
The typical questions entail:
-Your degree classification for undergraduate or masters beforehand.
-Why you want to pursue a PhD.

Other than that, they will generally test you on your knowledge base of the subject at hand. It really depends; for a PhD position with lots of competitors (usually due to a higher stipend) the questions will be technical and you will be asked specific details about the project you suggested. Any papers you have published before will be taken on-board as well. However, as a undergrad, you aren't expected to have published many papers on any subjects. Hence, it generally falls down to how enthusiastic about the subject you are and how willing you are to learn new concepts.

Interview Question – Every question is unique. Unfortunately/fortunately unlike a job in a certain sector, as each supervisor is so different in their field.   Answer Question

Residential Tutor Interview

Residential Tutor
Coventry, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Warwick.

Interview Details – Application is submitted online or via email. All initial interactions are via a secretary. A panel interview follows. Can be anywhere from 2-6+ people, typically wardens with possibly the head of residential life or sub-wardens included. Multiple questions are asked. After the first application if unsuccessful, which is moderately common, a second application is often successful. Interview feedback is also given if unsuccessful. This process can take several months overall. A role-playing, hands-on assessment center may now be included in the interview process.

Interview Question – If a student came to you with a problem but asked you to keep it in confidence before relating it, what would you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The compensation in the form of free accommodation is non-negotiable.

Very Easy Interview

Waiter Interview

Waiter
Coventry, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Warwick in March 2010.

Interview Details – After applying online on unitemps I was invited to the unitemps office in University House (its now in the Student Union on campus. They basically brought me in to see if I had stupidly coloured hair or some piercings as they can't have waiters looking too outlandish for banquet dinners.
Luckily my hair and body piercings (i didnt have any) were acceptable and so i was told i had the job after about 5 minutes.

Interview Question – do you have any piercings?   Answer Question

Careers Consultant Interview

Careers Consultant
Coventry, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Warwick in June 2010.

Interview Details – first stage - panel interview ( people) and group exercise
second stage - panel interview (3 people) and presentation

Interview Questions

• How would you build relationships across the University ?   Answer Question
  • How we reach out to students who may not feel confident approaching the careers centre or whose career ideas are at a very early stage ?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – for personal reasons

Worked for University of Warwick? Contribute to the Community!