University of Warwick Interview Questions

2.8

Research Fellow (Design of Gas Sensing Systems) Interview

I applied online - interviewed at University of Warwick in October 2013.

I received an invitation to the interview in 1.5-2 months after app deadline. It was a phone interview. The panel included 3 persons (Prof, HR, researcher)

Interview Questions
    • The questions were about my experience with programming of MCU/FPGA, designing of gas detection systems, but not detailed ones. There was a question on my style of presenting slides to the audience.   Answer Question

This was the position for 1.5 years. When I was accepted, it turned out that the position is just for 9 months. The salary offered started from the lowest threshold even though I had an excellent matching and already had 4 years of experience in the same position. Persons I was in contact after the inerview promised great future, but did not provide direct answers to my questions and tried to avoid them - only generic answers.

Associate Professor Interview

Lack of transparency in interview requirements. Deliberately difficult questions to trick interviewee. Received offer by phone same day. Asked the chair to meet again. Chair said they were busy cleaning up after the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Question challenging why I wanted to work at the university.   Answer Question

Research Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Warwick in September 2013.

Clear communication prior to the interview and after job offer

straightforward

PhD Student In Mathematical Biology and Biophysical Chemistry Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Warwick in July 2009.

The interview process basically is a process of talking to the supervisor and students.
    The typical questions entail:
    -Your degree classification for undergraduate or masters beforehand.
    -Why you want to pursue a PhD.

Other than that, they will generally test you on your knowledge base of the subject at hand. It really depends; for a PhD position with lots of competitors (usually due to a higher stipend) the questions will be technical and you will be asked specific details about the project you suggested. Any papers you have published before will be taken on-board as well. However, as a undergrad, you aren't expected to have published many papers on any subjects. Hence, it generally falls down to how enthusiastic about the subject you are and how willing you are to learn new concepts.

Interview Questions
    • Every question is unique. Unfortunately/fortunately unlike a job in a certain sector, as each supervisor is so different in their field.   Answer Question

Residential Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Warwick.

Application is submitted online or via email. All initial interactions are via a secretary. A panel interview follows. Can be anywhere from 2-6+ people, typically wardens with possibly the head of residential life or sub-wardens included. Multiple questions are asked. After the first application if unsuccessful, which is moderately common, a second application is often successful. Interview feedback is also given if unsuccessful. This process can take several months overall. A role-playing, hands-on assessment center may now be included in the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • If a student came to you with a problem but asked you to keep it in confidence before relating it, what would you do?   View Answer
    The compensation in the form of free accommodation is non-negotiable.

Waiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Warwick in March 2010.

After applying online on unitemps I was invited to the unitemps office in University House (its now in the Student Union on campus. They basically brought me in to see if I had stupidly coloured hair or some piercings as they can't have waiters looking too outlandish for banquet dinners.
    Luckily my hair and body piercings (i didnt have any) were acceptable and so i was told i had the job after about 5 minutes.

Careers Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Warwick in June 2010.

first stage - panel interview ( people) and group exercise
    second stage - panel interview (3 people) and presentation

Interview Questions
    • How would you build relationships across the University ?   Answer Question
    • How we reach out to students who may not feel confident approaching the careers centre or whose career ideas are at a very early stage ?   Answer Question

for personal reasons

Worked for University of Warwick? Contribute to the Community!