University of Washington

Updated Dec 10, 2014
Updated Dec 10, 2014

2.6

Data Analyst Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at University of Washington in June 2009.

I was called in for the night before it occurred. It seemed last minute. Interviewers did not have the job description with them, so I had to review the job for them. I had all qualifiers and more, but interviewers seemed bored. Questions had little to do with position.

Interview Questions
    • If you could interview someone from history, who would it be?   View Answer

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Washington in February 2007.

Applicants meet 1:1 with faculty to discuss faculty research and the student's past experience and research interests. Questions were often based on the student's resume/CV and application packet. I believe that grades and GRE scores are less important than research experience and letters of reccomendation from people within the field.

Several faculty asked what made me competitive compared to other applicants.

At lunch, all the applicants were taken to a casual local restaurant with current students in the program.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you more competitive than any other applicants?   View Answer

Program Assistant Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Washington in December 2010.

Lots of questions about self and how react to certain situations.

Project Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at University of Washington in April 2010.

The hiring process was lengthy, consisting of several interviews with people throughout the department. I had an initial 1:1 interview with another individual at the same level as the job for which I was applying, and with the hiring manager. This was then followed by another group interview (logistically for the team a phone interview worked better), and then with individual faculty members, and finally with the director of the department. The department is vibrant and diverse with regard to background and expertise, and it is an intense workplace with high performance expected at all times.

Interview Questions
    • You're managing a project that requires several supplies to be shipped to multiple countries, and one of your country contacts is unable to get the supplies they need for the project in time. They have already hired everyone for the project and now there will be a 3 month delay. How do you handle that?   Answer Question
    • If your direct supervisor confronts you saying that one of the projects you manage is not producing the way it should, how would you respond to him or her?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a reasonable salary, and there was some movement with regard to the initial offer. Not much, but an extra $5K was the top end for the position range.

Operation Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Washington in February 2012.

This is an interview for the operation internship for Goldman Sachs. It is a two-round interview. One round is half hour, so it was one-hour long in total.

Interview Questions
    • Given a scenario, say, you need do a presentation for your client. The presentation is supposed to last for at least 2 hours. But your clients have to rush to another meeting, so you only have 20min left to get this presentation done, so how can you deal with this situation?   View Answer

Research Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Washington in August 2012.

Had a one-on-one interview for a research tech position in a biomedical research lab. Interview was the P.I. asking about my previous research experience, quizzing my knowledge on various experimental techniques, and inquiring about previous academic coursework, the latter of which was difficult to recall as several of the courses had been taken several years ago.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Washington in September 2011.

I was teaching out of my department so I had to contact the department I wanted to teach in. They were nearly at capacity but I was given an interview. The interview consisted of some common questions that are difficult if you don't have a thorough understanding of the subject matter. Then I was contacted two days before the term started because I was the last TA they were going to pick.

Interview Questions
    • It had to do with Newton's third law pairs, work, and something else that I forget.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Washington in November 2010.

Pleasant interviewers, 3 person panel. Wanted to know about my passion for the mission, how my education had prepared me for the position, wanted real life examples whenever possible. It was obvious that there was a definite need for the position to be filled, but an unwillingness to take just anyone. The position had been offered to someone that had lied about their work experience on LinkedIn, that individuals offer was then rescinded.

Interview Questions
    • Following the interview I was asked to prepare a line item budget in Excel.   View Answer
    Offered and Accepted.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

interviewed at University of Washington in June 2012.

through at least three rounds interview, online interview , talking with HR, and personal interview with lab members, gave a presentation talking about your previous work and your future plans, and so on

Research Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Washington in August 2014.

I went through two phone interviews and an in-person interview with over 10 people. The in-person interview lasted for about 1 1/2 hours. In retrospect, it was probably good to interview with that many people as I have worked on many projects.

No negotiation