University of Washington

Updated Dec 10, 2014

2.6

CLUE Tutor--physics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Washington.

After submitting a resume and cover letter, qualified applicants are contacted for an in-person interview. The 90-minute interview process has two stages. The first is a skills test, with which the prospective tutor demonstrates their ability to answer, or at least try to elucidate, physics questions that would typically be asked during a drop-in tutoring session. The second is a panel interview, with the current lead tutor (and incoming, if any), assistant director of ASP, and possibly the director. The panel interview has a typical interview portion ("describe a conflict you overcame..." etc), and a role-playing portion.

Interview Questions
    • The most interesting question I was asked during my own interview was about how to handle a student who regularly used profanity, violent language, and raised their voice when speaking to tutors. I gathered that this was not abstract, but an actual problem presented by a regular student. (Though, mercifully, this is not a typical problem at this tutoring center.)   Answer Question
    No negotiation. The minimum pay is set by a collective bargaining agreement, and in four years I never saw any instances of CLUE paying above the minimum. Hours are somewhat negotiable.

MA III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online – interviewed at University of Washington in June 2014.

From the time I submitted my resume to a face to face interview was about 3 weeks. I proceeded with a courtesy thank you e-mail and received a response for a group interview (2 weeks later) and was told they would get back with me. I have yet to hear back. This was a 6 week process. I then received a call from the HR department wanting to forward my resume to another department, I told her that I was still waiting to hear from the previous department. She was going to contact them to see if I was a candidate & get back with me.Still waiting (3 months) & this morning I reviewed a pre employment questionare, followed by a personal email from a college at a different department offering to accept my resume.
    The Process Takes Too long

Interview Questions
    • Are you the kind of person that if you have a case load and another coworker has a heavier load would you help them ? ?   View Answer

Research Study Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at University of Washington in May 2014.

Approximately five minutes into the interview, the interviewer suggested that the department might not fill the position, but they had another position. The original position was posted because the current research study coordinator was on medical leave. Unless this employee returned before their deadline, the position would be open. Evidently, the interviewer expected the employee to return. Then the interviewer began to discuss the second position, which was administrative with no research related responsibilities.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be interested in a new position that we are, or may be developing?   View Answer

Assistant Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Washington.

I applied for the position online, at which point my resume was forwarded to the department and then I was contacted for an interview via email. I was not given an email update when my resume status changed, though it was updated on the UW job website.

The interview itself wasn't bad, though I was underqualified for the position and it showed. I found the interview panel (three people) to be professional and friendly. The questions were mostly related to the job, but they also tried to get to know me as well. It was a pleasant experience even though I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How will you handle working with and assisting people who have more experience than you?   Answer Question

GIS Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of Washington.

Two 5-on-1 interviews.

Interview Questions
    No flexibility on salary.

Assistant Director of Development Interview

pannel interview and one-on-one with the Associate Vice President of Advancement

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at University of Washington.

Will suggest to contact the professor directly to discuss the potential research project. Also contact her/his current graduate student will be extremely helpful given that professor are usually very busy to reply the emails.

Interview Questions
    • No tricky question. Make sure you emphasize your research interest.   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Washington.

Applied through Huskyjobs (university job website) and got called for an interview few days later. Then whole process took less than a month.

Program Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Washington.

You pretty much have to know someone to get an interview/job in the UW system. Although i know this is the case with most jobs. I first had an interview with three department administrators followed by two phone interviews. It was all the "typical" interview questions,..strengths and weaknesses, how to deal with a difficult situation, how to deal with competing program needs...nothing unexpected.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary in regard to "typical" interview questions.   Answer Question

Data Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Washington.

Interview process was first a phone screening and then an in person interview. Enjoyable process. Questions were reasonable and they really seemed to want to find a good fit for both the employee and employer.

Interview Questions
    • No trick questions here - just good old fashioned "tell me about a time when..." types of scenarios.   Answer Question