University of Washington Interview Questions

Updated Sep 5, 2014

2.6

Web Computing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in November 2009.

I was called in for an interview about two weeks after I submitted my resume. I was interviewed by three people at once. It was low-key and friendly.

Research Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied in-person - interviewed at University of Washington in April 2010.

I was promoted from within the institution, so there was a semi-formal interview process.

There was very little negotiation for this position because I did not have a competitive offer from another university. If I had come with a competitive offer, the negotiation process would have been very different.

Research Scientist I Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at University of Washington.

Phone interview with PI, then a face to face with PI and lead research scientist.

Interview Questions
    • No behavioral question, only interest and prior experience.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Program Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in December 2013.

Online application and email communication for the most part - lovely! Interview process is different dept to dept, tho a creeping trend of "have to ask every single applicant the exact same questions" has appeared and makes interviewing there rather awkward for both sides.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected - asking about chemistry in a computer support position interview. Supporting social science faculty.   Answer Question

Not enough salary

Web Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in July 2009.

The process from the time I had my first phone screen to the time I was offered the job was quite fast. I think it was a total of 2-3 weeks, but my position was entry-level and only required one panel interview. I was brought in for a panel interview which was immediately followed by a one-on-one interview. I did a lot of listening during the process, which allowed me to pick up on personalities, management style (as much as possible, anyway) and the interaction among panelists. My main takeaway is to ask for a bathroom break during transitions!

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall an unexpected question, just an unexpected personality. The panelist joined in half-way through the interview (which was planned) and clearly wanted me to "talk shop". I put on my tech hat for the panelist for a couple answers. Otherwise the questions were your ordinary mix of experience and behavioral questions.   Answer Question
    I simply asked to make at least my current salary, which was nice at the time as I'd just received a raise. I should have been more aggressive, but I was younger and still wet behind the ears.

Computer Lab Assistant and Network Management Interview

I have to submit my resume and wait for my manager to call me for interview.
    he interview in person with some computer system related questions.

Interview Questions
    • no, most of questions is about computer system and network system which I have already learned at school.   View Answer

the offered position not well fit with my school major.

Grants Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in April 2009.

I was an internal applicant, so it's possible that the interviewing process is more extensive for those who are not already UW employees. The interview itself was conducted by a small panel made up of one of the Associate Directors and two of the Grant Administrators who I would be working under. It lasted for an hour, with most of the questions focused on grant and contract knowledge, as well as knowledge of office procedures. Of particular benefit was an in-depth understanding of OMB Circulars and familiarity with NIH processes.

Interview Questions
    • When I interviewed there were no outlandish or unexpected questions. However, training into the position was not really an option. Applicants had to already have several years in grant management experience, including management of grants from federal agencies.   Answer Question
    My "negotiation" experience was somewhat disappointing. Essentially, it consisted of a salary offered with a take-it-or-leave-it intent. There has been a change in management since I worked at the University though, so it's possible that this phase has changed as well.

Mechanical Engineering Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied in-person - interviewed at University of Washington.

I was not interviewed for this position. What ended up happening was me going to Professor and asking whether he had any current projects available. He looked at my excellent grades then had me work for free for a quarter (3 months) then I was paid for the next quarters. However, my adviser kept telling me that I should have insisted on getting paid for the first quarter as well. So if you are smart and talented (not necessarily in the research area, does not matter) be sure to know your value and don't settle for just anything. There are many willing grad students for research assistantships but not very many that are bright, i.e., can think out of the box.

Interview Questions
    • The difficulty came in when I did not stand my ground on getting paid right away.   Answer Question

Research Scientist III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Washington in March 2009.

The interview process was pretty relax for my unit. Since the laboratory unit is small, everyone from the lab were involved in the process. Their goal is to find a colleague that has the personality to match up with the rest of the people in the lab. The hiring is based the vote from everyone.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't too much technical questions for the position I was hiring for. I think they generally looking for someone who's trainable instead of someone who's already trained   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in October 2011.

Phone interview followed by on campus interview. There were 3 total candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself fitting here with regard to the mission of the University?   View Answer
    None