University of Washington

Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Operations Specialist Interview

Program Operations Specialist
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in December 2013.

Interview Details – Online application and email communication for the most part - lovely! Interview process is different dept to dept, tho a creeping trend of "have to ask every single applicant the exact same questions" has appeared and makes interviewing there rather awkward for both sides.

Interview Question – Unexpected - asking about chemistry in a computer support position interview. Supporting social science faculty.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not enough salary

Web Specialist Interview

Web Specialist
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in July 2009.

Interview Details – The process from the time I had my first phone screen to the time I was offered the job was quite fast. I think it was a total of 2-3 weeks, but my position was entry-level and only required one panel interview. I was brought in for a panel interview which was immediately followed by a one-on-one interview. I did a lot of listening during the process, which allowed me to pick up on personalities, management style (as much as possible, anyway) and the interaction among panelists. My main takeaway is to ask for a bathroom break during transitions!

Interview Question – I don't recall an unexpected question, just an unexpected personality. The panelist joined in half-way through the interview (which was planned) and clearly wanted me to "talk shop". I put on my tech hat for the panelist for a couple answers. Otherwise the questions were your ordinary mix of experience and behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I simply asked to make at least my current salary, which was nice at the time as I'd just received a raise. I should have been more aggressive, but I was younger and still wet behind the ears.

Computer Lab Assistant and Network Management Interview

Computer Lab Assistant and Network Management

Interviewed at University of Washington

Interview Details – I have to submit my resume and wait for my manager to call me for interview.
he interview in person with some computer system related questions.

Interview Question – no, most of questions is about computer system and network system which I have already learned at school.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – the offered position not well fit with my school major.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Grants Coordinator Interview

Grants Coordinator
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in April 2009.

Interview Details – I was an internal applicant, so it's possible that the interviewing process is more extensive for those who are not already UW employees. The interview itself was conducted by a small panel made up of one of the Associate Directors and two of the Grant Administrators who I would be working under. It lasted for an hour, with most of the questions focused on grant and contract knowledge, as well as knowledge of office procedures. Of particular benefit was an in-depth understanding of OMB Circulars and familiarity with NIH processes.

Interview Question – When I interviewed there were no outlandish or unexpected questions. However, training into the position was not really an option. Applicants had to already have several years in grant management experience, including management of grants from federal agencies.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My "negotiation" experience was somewhat disappointing. Essentially, it consisted of a salary offered with a take-it-or-leave-it intent. There has been a change in management since I worked at the University though, so it's possible that this phase has changed as well.

Very Easy Interview

Mechanical Engineering Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Mechanical Engineering Graduate Research Assistant
Seattle, WA

I applied in-person and interviewed at University of Washington.

Interview Details – I was not interviewed for this position. What ended up happening was me going to Professor and asking whether he had any current projects available. He looked at my excellent grades then had me work for free for a quarter (3 months) then I was paid for the next quarters. However, my adviser kept telling me that I should have insisted on getting paid for the first quarter as well. So if you are smart and talented (not necessarily in the research area, does not matter) be sure to know your value and don't settle for just anything. There are many willing grad students for research assistantships but not very many that are bright, i.e., can think out of the box.

Interview Question – The difficulty came in when I did not stand my ground on getting paid right away.   Answer Question

Research Scientist III Interview

Research Scientist III
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Washington in March 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty relax for my unit. Since the laboratory unit is small, everyone from the lab were involved in the process. Their goal is to find a colleague that has the personality to match up with the rest of the people in the lab. The hiring is based the vote from everyone.

Interview Question – There wasn't too much technical questions for the position I was hiring for. I think they generally looking for someone who's trainable instead of someone who's already trained   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Program Coordinator
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in October 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by on campus interview. There were 3 total candidates.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself fitting here with regard to the mission of the University?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None

Part-Time Lecturer Interview

Part-Time Lecturer

Interviewed at University of Washington

Interview Details – My advisor introduced me this job. They just asked me which courses I would like to teach. Need to mark the homework in sure. Handling students for me is the most challenging. It is good that I don't need to back to UW every day. I share a office with another.

Macy's Sales Associate Interview

Macy's Sales Associate
Seattle, WA

I applied online and interviewed at University of Washington.

Interview Details – intervied in a small room, the guy read questions off a paper, about 6 then picked a few more from another sheet; he seemed nice and said that he would have to check with the managers who were hiring. i got the impression i was going to get hired, but then got the rejection email

Interview Question – all said on this site   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Washington.

Interview Details – I found my job on naturejobs. I e-mailed an application and had one phone interview. After the phone interview all correspondence was through e-mail. Upon arrival and the workplace I was asked to give a presentation to the lab on my previous research. I was already hired so this was informal. I have since learned that this occurs before hiring in most cases.

Interview Question – None, the interview was very straight forward. I was asked about my past research and lab experience.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, my salary was based on an NOH payscale for people with my level of experience