University of Washington

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Washington in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online Aug 1, 2013. First contact was Aug 27th boilerplate email, "Dear Candidate...we're conducting 15 minute phone interviews over the next 3 days, if you are interested in pursuing this opportunity, please choose a time from one of the following 4 hour blocks and we will call you. 15 minute phone interview on was with the Administrator of the department, mostly feeling me out about the (low) pay range. An email followed that day requesting an in person interview the following week.

Parking is challenging, get a ride if possible. Interview was approximately 1.5 hours long with 3 people, the Administrator I'd been emailing/speaking with previously, and 2 Department Heads. Questions were very standard, read from an HR form, "Describe a time when you faced a conflict with a coworker and how you handled it", "If you were given an assignment and a deadline that you found was impossible to meet...", etc.

Overall it seemed to go very well. Both Department heads seemed very interested and impressed. Administrator was quiet.

Got a form email on 9/25/13 that another candidate had been chosen.

(The position had been eliminated a year previously due to budget cuts. It felt as though I may have been one of several required competitive candidates, so they could bring back the person who'd previously held the position. But this is only a guess.)

Interview Question – No unexpected or difficult questions.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in September 2011.

Interview Details – One phone interview, followed by one in person interview before receiving offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – In addition to salary caps, you may be up against budget caps. But it never hurts to ask.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in October 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by on campus interview. There were 3 total candidates.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself fitting here with regard to the mission of the University?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in January 2012.

Interview Details – Very thorough and reasonable with timing. Did not drag.

Reason for Declining – Salary was too low

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in February 2010.

Interview Details – My new manager had me pre-picked as the destined new hire for this position. She had hand selected me from my former position at the University of Washington and knew I was a faithful and reliable and smart worker. The interview was a formal process in order to get hired for the posted position.

Interview Question – How have you helped a struggling coworker incapable of doing their job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, there is no negotiation when one is forced to be in a union contract classified position.

Seattle, WA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in February 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted resume and was called in for an interview. Answered the standard questions, and was called back for a second interview a few weeks later. At the second interview I was asked more program specific questions, like how I would handle organizing multiple programs at once, and what experience I have dealing with students from other countries (the position was in an international programs department).

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in December 2009.

Interview Details – To get an interview at the Univ of Washington, an individual needs to submit an application for a specific position to the UW Human Resources Department. The Department reviews the application to ensure it is appropriate for the position applied for. If the applicant meets the job criteria, the application is rated by and HR person for appropriateness for the position applied for. They select the top applications and forward them to the requesting supervisor. The supervisor selects the candidates they wish to interview from those forwarded to them, and contacts the application. An interview is set up. The applicant may have to pass specific tests within each dept, depending upon the position. The applicant gets an opportunity to ask any questions he or she may have. The hiring person hires the candidate they think is the best for the position. The candidate may leave their application on the HR site, and forward it to other open positions they are interested in, as these positions get posted.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any qualms working in a Department which performs research on lab animals?   View Answer
  • Why do you want to work in this department?   View Answer

Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at University of Washington in April 2008.

Interview Details – I had 1 30 minute interview and was called to be offered the position 5 days later.

Interview Question – Do you mind singing in the office?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a bit. I got a $3,000 more on my salary.

Program Coordinator

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at University of Washington in January 2009.

Interview Details – we had a one-on-one interview at the conference room. The interviewer asks mostly about my background and personality. There were no behavioral questions. There were two rounds of the interviews in total. I think enthusiasm to get the job is the most important trait they are looking for.

Program Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at University of Washington.

Interview Details – After submitting an online resume (no other options) you may be contacted by a recruiter or hiring manager for an interview. An initial interview may be simply a screening interview before the real thing.

The real interview will be with a panel of 3-4 people who will probably take turns asking you prepared questions off of a piece of paper and will take about 1 hour.

Interview Question – If we were to talk to your coworkers, what would they say about you?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Washington

Worked for University of Washington? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Washington Program Coordinator interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of Washington employees and interview candidates.