University of Washington

Updated Feb 22, 2015

2.6

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at University of Washington.

I went for an in-person interview (no phone screen) right away. I met with the following people individually, each for a half hour, one right after the other:
    1. Program Manager (would be my direct boss)
    2. Program Administrator
    3. HR Specialist
    4. Program Director
    5. Group interview with 4 future colleagues

Within a few days, the Program Manager called for references. A day after she talked with my last reference, I was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • -Have you ever had conflict with a coworker? How did you resolve it?
      -Name your best quality.
      -Name your worst quality.
      -What project are you most proud of and why?
      -Why are you interested in this position?

Answer Question

International Studies Processing Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at University of Washington in October 2014.

Application: I applied online through the UW Hires website, immediately after which I received a confirmation email. However, it was over a month by the time I received a call to schedule an interview.

Interview: The interview was standard, they gave me a tour of the workspace, pointing out the various library stacks that I would work with and explained the expected responsibilities in great detail. They asked me to tell them about myself, and my past work experience and asked for specific examples in which I solved problems and overcame challenges.

Interview Questions
    • After an hour long interview they tested me on my transliteration skills.   View Answer

Accepted another offer.

Senior Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Washington in October 2014.

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks – interviewed at University of Washington.

Round 1 of interviews started 7:30am ended 8:30pm, included breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Met with 24 people from the school of interest, including Dean, faculty, and staff; Conducted 30 minute lecturer

Point of first interview to actual hiring is between approximately 12 weeks.

Nothing difficult really. General questions to get a feel of candidate fit for the culture, specific questions to gauge subject matter knowledge, 30-minute lecturer to evaluate classroom presence.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Washington.

professor-interview over Skype, where the professor asked about how I view his research and what I would like to do in future projects. Also asked about was the previous research experience.

Interview Questions
    • techniques used in prior research and techniques expected in future projects   Answer Question

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Washington in July 2014.

Pretty standard interview questions. First was a phone screen, and then a couple days later an email for an invite to an in person interview. The in person lasted two hours, with the first hour being with three people in the office, then a couple one on one interviews. The questions were clear and nothing to throw you off.

Interview Questions
    • None. They had a sheet with general questions about experience and scenarios you have either had or will probably need to deal with.   Answer Question
    As others have stated, there is no negotiation process.

CLUE Tutor--physics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Washington.

After submitting a resume and cover letter, qualified applicants are contacted for an in-person interview. The 90-minute interview process has two stages. The first is a skills test, with which the prospective tutor demonstrates their ability to answer, or at least try to elucidate, physics questions that would typically be asked during a drop-in tutoring session. The second is a panel interview, with the current lead tutor (and incoming, if any), assistant director of ASP, and possibly the director. The panel interview has a typical interview portion ("describe a conflict you overcame..." etc), and a role-playing portion.

Interview Questions
    • The most interesting question I was asked during my own interview was about how to handle a student who regularly used profanity, violent language, and raised their voice when speaking to tutors. I gathered that this was not abstract, but an actual problem presented by a regular student. (Though, mercifully, this is not a typical problem at this tutoring center.)   Answer Question
    No negotiation. The minimum pay is set by a collective bargaining agreement, and in four years I never saw any instances of CLUE paying above the minimum. Hours are somewhat negotiable.

Research Study Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at University of Washington in May 2014.

Approximately five minutes into the interview, the interviewer suggested that the department might not fill the position, but they had another position. The original position was posted because the current research study coordinator was on medical leave. Unless this employee returned before their deadline, the position would be open. Evidently, the interviewer expected the employee to return. Then the interviewer began to discuss the second position, which was administrative with no research related responsibilities.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be interested in a new position that we are, or may be developing?   View Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at University of Washington.

Will suggest to contact the professor directly to discuss the potential research project. Also contact her/his current graduate student will be extremely helpful given that professor are usually very busy to reply the emails.

Interview Questions
    • No tricky question. Make sure you emphasize your research interest.   Answer Question

Program Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Washington in December 2013.

Online application and email communication for the most part - lovely! Interview process is different dept to dept, tho a creeping trend of "have to ask every single applicant the exact same questions" has appeared and makes interviewing there rather awkward for both sides.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected - asking about chemistry in a computer support position interview. Supporting social science faculty.   Answer Question

Not enough salary

Mechanical Engineering Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied in-person – interviewed at University of Washington.

I was not interviewed for this position. What ended up happening was me going to Professor and asking whether he had any current projects available. He looked at my excellent grades then had me work for free for a quarter (3 months) then I was paid for the next quarters. However, my adviser kept telling me that I should have insisted on getting paid for the first quarter as well. So if you are smart and talented (not necessarily in the research area, does not matter) be sure to know your value and don't settle for just anything. There are many willing grad students for research assistantships but not very many that are bright, i.e., can think out of the box.

Interview Questions
    • The difficulty came in when I did not stand my ground on getting paid right away.   Answer Question