University of Washington

Relevance Date Difficulty

Coordinator Interview

Coordinator
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Washington in August 2013.

Interview Details – Group Interview with multiple people

Interview Question – How do you deal with difficult coworkers   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was offered the position and salary as is.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at University of Washington.

Interview Details – Will suggest to contact the professor directly to discuss the potential research project. Also contact her/his current graduate student will be extremely helpful given that professor are usually very busy to reply the emails.

Interview Question – No tricky question. Make sure you emphasize your research interest.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at University of Washington in November 2010.

Interview Details – Pleasant interviewers, 3 person panel. Wanted to know about my passion for the mission, how my education had prepared me for the position, wanted real life examples whenever possible. It was obvious that there was a definite need for the position to be filled, but an unwillingness to take just anyone. The position had been offered to someone that had lied about their work experience on LinkedIn, that individuals offer was then rescinded.

Interview Question – Following the interview I was asked to prepare a line item budget in Excel.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Offered and Accepted.

Very Easy Interview

Web Computing Specialist Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in November 2009.

Interview Details – I was called in for an interview about two weeks after I submitted my resume. I was interviewed by three people at once. It was low-key and friendly.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Professor Interview

Research Assistant Professor
Seattle, WA

I applied in-person - interviewed at University of Washington in April 2010.

Interview Details – I was promoted from within the institution, so there was a semi-formal interview process.

Negotiation Details – There was very little negotiation for this position because I did not have a competitive offer from another university. If I had come with a competitive offer, the negotiation process would have been very different.

Program Operations Specialist Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in December 2013.

Interview Details – Online application and email communication for the most part - lovely! Interview process is different dept to dept, tho a creeping trend of "have to ask every single applicant the exact same questions" has appeared and makes interviewing there rather awkward for both sides.

Interview Question – Unexpected - asking about chemistry in a computer support position interview. Supporting social science faculty.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not enough salary

Web Specialist Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in July 2009.

Interview Details – The process from the time I had my first phone screen to the time I was offered the job was quite fast. I think it was a total of 2-3 weeks, but my position was entry-level and only required one panel interview. I was brought in for a panel interview which was immediately followed by a one-on-one interview. I did a lot of listening during the process, which allowed me to pick up on personalities, management style (as much as possible, anyway) and the interaction among panelists. My main takeaway is to ask for a bathroom break during transitions!

Interview Question – I don't recall an unexpected question, just an unexpected personality. The panelist joined in half-way through the interview (which was planned) and clearly wanted me to "talk shop". I put on my tech hat for the panelist for a couple answers. Otherwise the questions were your ordinary mix of experience and behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I simply asked to make at least my current salary, which was nice at the time as I'd just received a raise. I should have been more aggressive, but I was younger and still wet behind the ears.

Grants Coordinator Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Washington in April 2009.

Interview Details – I was an internal applicant, so it's possible that the interviewing process is more extensive for those who are not already UW employees. The interview itself was conducted by a small panel made up of one of the Associate Directors and two of the Grant Administrators who I would be working under. It lasted for an hour, with most of the questions focused on grant and contract knowledge, as well as knowledge of office procedures. Of particular benefit was an in-depth understanding of OMB Circulars and familiarity with NIH processes.

Interview Question – When I interviewed there were no outlandish or unexpected questions. However, training into the position was not really an option. Applicants had to already have several years in grant management experience, including management of grants from federal agencies.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My "negotiation" experience was somewhat disappointing. Essentially, it consisted of a salary offered with a take-it-or-leave-it intent. There has been a change in management since I worked at the University though, so it's possible that this phase has changed as well.

Very Easy Interview

Mechanical Engineering Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied in-person and interviewed at University of Washington.

Interview Details – I was not interviewed for this position. What ended up happening was me going to Professor and asking whether he had any current projects available. He looked at my excellent grades then had me work for free for a quarter (3 months) then I was paid for the next quarters. However, my adviser kept telling me that I should have insisted on getting paid for the first quarter as well. So if you are smart and talented (not necessarily in the research area, does not matter) be sure to know your value and don't settle for just anything. There are many willing grad students for research assistantships but not very many that are bright, i.e., can think out of the box.

Interview Question – The difficulty came in when I did not stand my ground on getting paid right away.   Answer Question

Research Scientist III Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Washington in March 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty relax for my unit. Since the laboratory unit is small, everyone from the lab were involved in the process. Their goal is to find a colleague that has the personality to match up with the rest of the people in the lab. The hiring is based the vote from everyone.

Interview Question – There wasn't too much technical questions for the position I was hiring for. I think they generally looking for someone who's trainable instead of someone who's already trained   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Washington

Worked for University of Washington? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Washington interview questions and advice in Washington State. All 53 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of Washington employees and interview candidates.