University of Waterloo

Getting the Interview

18 candidate interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at University of Waterloo in October 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview first; if passed, flowed by on-site 1:1 interview; if passed, job offer will come.

Interview Question – Reverse the word sequence in a string   View Answer

Sys Analyst Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Waterloo in February 2010.

Interview Details – 2 Strings each take 1/2 hr long to burn out at unknown rate , how do you time 45 min?

Interview Question – 2 Strings each take 1/2 hr long to burn out at unknown rate , how do you time 45 min?   View Answer

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Postdoctoral Researcher

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at University of Waterloo in March 2011.

Interview Details – I have been interviewed once. It was phone-interview. I can suggest that you should remain relax because it makes easy to understand and explain what you want to say. Sometimes nervous can ruin all interview.

Interview Questions

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of Waterloo.

Interview Details – Very straight forward. I was interviewed by a professor. Questions about academic and any extracurricular activities I was involved in.

Interview Question – What part of your professional life as a student would you change and why?   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

The process took a day - interviewed at University of Waterloo in April 2012.

Interview Details – Basically talk about your plan of your research work

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, mathematician usually don't have much funding

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Waterloo in July 2011.

Interview Details – It was an interview over the phone for about 30 min. We were talking about my background, experience, research interests, and future plans. I asked about the projects to work on, conference attendance, collaboration with other people. I was told about the potential projects, the lab, and the conference attendance policy.

Interview Question – I did not have any difficult or unexpected question during the interview   View Answer

Clerk Interview

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of Waterloo in August 2010.

Interview Details – There will be one I interview before the hiring and it is mostly luck of the draw. There is a lot of internal promotion and external recruiting.

Interview Question – How do you resolve a conflict between two people if you do not understand the problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Events and Outreach Associate Interview

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Waterloo in October 2011.

Interview Details – Very friendly interview, one interview and will be chosen through Jobmine.
Constant email communication between supervisor before and after interview.

Interview Question – Tell us when you had to negotiate tasks under a stressful situation and tell us how and why you handled it that way.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Email back and forth and visiting. Very casual and informal.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Waterloo.

Interview Details – It was simple and straight forward. They told me straight away what the project is and what skills they are looking for. And asking me what can i do for them.

Interview Question – Explain the extent of my knowledge for specific coding language.   Answer Question

Co-op Alumni Advancement Assistant Interview

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Waterloo in October 2013.

Interview Details – One half hour interview in-person with supervisor, followed by a 10 minute Excel proficiency test.

Interview Question – Personality/Problem-solving questions   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for University of Waterloo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Waterloo interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of Waterloo employees and interview candidates.