University of Waterloo

Updated Jan 3, 2015
Updated Jan 3, 2015

2.8

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Waterloo.

Very straight forward. I was interviewed by a professor. Questions about academic and any extracurricular activities I was involved in.

Interview Questions
    • What part of your professional life as a student would you change and why?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at University of Waterloo.

Online application-> possible interview -> department comity acceptance

No negotiation

Receptionist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of Waterloo.

Interview was informal. Two interviewers asked typical situational questions but mainly described the job. By showing examples of how I had previous work experience with those job description activities, I got the job.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Minimum wage.

HRMS Project Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Waterloo.

The interview was very easy going. They asked things like 'what do you like to do in your spare time', and the typical, what are your strengths and weaknesses. I perceived the people interviewing me to be very friendly. I could tell they were dedicated to their job but liked to be relaxed too. They then asked me about my knowledge of some programs that were involved with the job. The hiring process went through smoothly as it was done through JobMind.

Interview Questions
    • There were no real difficult or unexpected questions. They only difficult ones would be 'when in the workplace did you experience a time of conflict and how did you deal with it?'.   View Answer
    None

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Waterloo in April 2012.

Basically talk about your plan of your research work

no negotiation, mathematician usually don't have much funding

Instructional Support Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Waterloo in March 2012.

I saw the posting on their website and then I applied through email and received a response back from the interviewer with information about where to go for my interview a week later. I met with 3 people for the interview which lasted about 1 hour. I then heard back a few weeks later with their decision.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle upset professors or lecturers when it comes to creating their content?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Waterloo in January 2012.

First you have to contact the professor through email and let him know about your experience and academic background in the related field. After that if professor is satisfied with you, he will most probably would like to interview you on skype. Mostly he asks technical questions.

Interview Questions
    If it covers all your tuition and living expenses, you should accept the offer

Events and Outreach Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Waterloo in October 2011.

Very friendly interview, one interview and will be chosen through Jobmine.
    Constant email communication between supervisor before and after interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us when you had to negotiate tasks under a stressful situation and tell us how and why you handled it that way.   View Answer
    Email back and forth and visiting. Very casual and informal.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Waterloo in July 2011.

It was an interview over the phone for about 30 min. We were talking about my background, experience, research interests, and future plans. I asked about the projects to work on, conference attendance, collaboration with other people. I was told about the potential projects, the lab, and the conference attendance policy.

Interview Questions
    • I did not have any difficult or unexpected question during the interview   View Answer

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Waterloo in March 2011.

I have been interviewed once. It was phone-interview. I can suggest that you should remain relax because it makes easy to understand and explain what you want to say. Sometimes nervous can ruin all interview.