University of Wisconsin Interview Questions

Updated Jun 1, 2014
Updated Jun 1, 2014

2.7

Fond Du Lac County Bilingual 4-H Youth Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Wisconsin.

I was required to prepare a two-page maximum cover letter in response as to how my experiences met each minimum qualification and submitted my resume in addition to a standard online job seeking account. I was contacted a month later that I was selected for an interview and was asked for my availability on a given day. The interview was with 4 members, one the direct boss I would have been working under, a lady from the offices in Madison, an AmeriCorps Vista member, and the co-department head. The interview was over Skype where I was projected on a screen in front of them.

Interview Questions
    • There were multiple questions regarding my experience educating youth, of which my experience is limited, making those questions difficult to answer.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Wisconsin.

Standard graduate school application and interview. Online application with essays, test scores, recommendations. Interview and visit weekend with day-long series of interviews, weekend-long assessment by interaction with current students.

no negotiation possible

Associate Professor Interview

Fast and efficient interview process. A lot of university resources for clinical research, clinical and family support and options to go through and choose from; ask details so you can fit your specific profile. Senior administrators are useful, but pay attention to the fine print. Overall a comfortable setup and a friendly interview environment.

Student Assistant Interview

Referred to the Career Services Office. A very speedy process.

Housing Tutor Interview

Easy online application. Received an email for the interview. Three people interviewing- 2 current tutors and 1 other housing employee. Asked general question on why you'd be good for the job, etc. Then there was a portion where they gave you three questions in your field and had you explain how to do each problem.

Research Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of Wisconsin.

Found job on UW-Madison's website, contacted lab via email. We set up an interview time that worked and it was very comfortable. Questions related to the job and previous education. Hiring process was quick.

Interview Questions
    • Not applicable. The interview questions were expected.   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Wisconsin.

Very easy interview process, it was more personal questions to see if I was a good fit as opposed to business related questions.

Veterinary Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Wisconsin in June 2012.

I was given many details over email prior to the interview such as wage and expected hours. The interview itself was very informal, but that's may be just how my department was. Since I interviewed, they had started having candidates stay for a few hours and follow other techs around.

There is no negotiation

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Wisconsin in February 2012.

go through resume, why you apply for chemistry library, what you want to get from this position

flexibility of work time

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at University of Wisconsin in November 2011.

The panel interview was as expected for University of Wisconsin - a "round up" of employees available to serve, some of which have no concept of what would (or wouldn't) make an applicant successful in the position. I was surprised however, with such a large institution, of some of the comments made during the process. Although I am no HR expert, they seem to have bordered on the illegal.
    I earned one of two finalist spots and when I finally met with the ultimate hiring manager, he couldn't be bothered talking to me. Mostly spoke about himself and then cut us off at the half hour mark. It was apparent that the hiring decision was made prior to my interview and he was just going through the motions. It was disappointing that I took time off of work (two separate days, over two hours) to go through the interview process when, prepared my references, completed a background check, come to find out, the job went to an internal candidate that was earmarked from the beginning (based on a reliable internal source). The processes and procedures of University of Wisconsin require the protocol of a search and screen committee and panel interview. Although I feel I was the more qualified applicant, I regret I was simply used as a requirement fulfillment for this department to hire the person they had in mind from the beginning. My advice to future applicants is to verify if there is an internal applicant applying for the same position you are considering. If there is, I would suggest withdrawing your application as I have seen this very thing happen again and again at UW. It is a flaw in the system that unfortunately I fell victim to.