University of Wisconsin

Updated Jan 14, 2015
Updated Jan 14, 2015

2.7

Career Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Wisconsin in July 2011.

They first interviewed my references. Each of my references were interviewed by phone for at least one hour. It is their process to filter candidates out this way but I felt it was a burden on my references, though I understand-as they don't want to waste time with candidates and poor references. I was accepted as one of the finalists and invited onto campus. It was a wonderful interview, lots of joking and serious conversation about the future possibilities of the department. In all, it took three hours. I was sure I was going to get an offer but was rejected. The reason I am a little sour from the experience is that they hired internally-sort of. Departments were merging and the director hired someone they had worked with before. Looking back, the director was the least interested in me throughout the interview. Others on the panel spoke of me having the best references and work experience than others who had applied for the position.

Assistant Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at University of Wisconsin in April 2010.

I first give a 45 min presentation and then meet with about 8 peoples individually, I had lunch with the group.
    it is very extensive interview, you better have a really good sleep at the night before the interview. The peoples are very cold and you get be used to no smile situation.

Interview Questions
    • why you want to work here, what is your goal in the next five years.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Wisconsin.

Standard graduate school application and interview. Online application with essays, test scores, recommendations. Interview and visit weekend with day-long series of interviews, weekend-long assessment by interaction with current students.

no negotiation possible

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Wisconsin.

I was required to prepare a two-page maximum cover letter in response as to how my experiences met each minimum qualification and submitted my resume in addition to a standard online job seeking account. I was contacted a month later that I was selected for an interview and was asked for my availability on a given day. The interview was with 4 members, one the direct boss I would have been working under, a lady from the offices in Madison, an AmeriCorps Vista member, and the co-department head. The interview was over Skype where I was projected on a screen in front of them.

Interview Questions
    • There were multiple questions regarding my experience educating youth, of which my experience is limited, making those questions difficult to answer.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Wisconsin in October 2010.

It first started with tough examination. The exam has fore sections and most of the people only managed to finished 2 sections. After that is a nice, inform section, going through the history of the company, the future they have. Most important, the hiring positions they have.

Student Services Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kenosha, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Kenosha, WI

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of Wisconsin in October 2010.

Confirmation letter acknowledging application received. Phone call offering to schedule initial phone screening. Phone screening interview with three people lasting about 1 hour. Letter offering second in person interview. Second interview consisted of 1) Panel of students, faculty, staff 2) Independent interview with program director 3) 15 minute presentation open to all members of campus community followed by Q&A. Offer by email. Negotiation by phone and email.

Salary proposition too low.

Dining Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oshkosh, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Oshkosh, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of Wisconsin in January 2009.

Phone interview

Interview Questions
    • What was your biggest failure?   Answer Question
    • Tell us of a time when you failed to complete a project or task on time, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Wisconsin in April 2010.

Good interview process that allowed for insite into the position through meeting with multiple staff members. Campus tour was also part of the review process.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think of the current Univ. logo and how it applies to our department?   Answer Question

Student Services Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of Wisconsin in January 2009.

It was a process that included a presentation, a panel of questions, and a question answer panel. I also had a 1 on 1 with the supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want this particular position (dealing with at-risk youth).   Answer Question
    There was no room for negotiation. I was offered a salary and could accept or decline.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at University of Wisconsin in November 2011.

The panel interview was as expected for University of Wisconsin - a "round up" of employees available to serve, some of which have no concept of what would (or wouldn't) make an applicant successful in the position. I was surprised however, with such a large institution, of some of the comments made during the process. Although I am no HR expert, they seem to have bordered on the illegal.
    I earned one of two finalist spots and when I finally met with the ultimate hiring manager, he couldn't be bothered talking to me. Mostly spoke about himself and then cut us off at the half hour mark. It was apparent that the hiring decision was made prior to my interview and he was just going through the motions. It was disappointing that I took time off of work (two separate days, over two hours) to go through the interview process when, prepared my references, completed a background check, come to find out, the job went to an internal candidate that was earmarked from the beginning (based on a reliable internal source). The processes and procedures of University of Wisconsin require the protocol of a search and screen committee and panel interview. Although I feel I was the more qualified applicant, I regret I was simply used as a requirement fulfillment for this department to hire the person they had in mind from the beginning. My advice to future applicants is to verify if there is an internal applicant applying for the same position you are considering. If there is, I would suggest withdrawing your application as I have seen this very thing happen again and again at UW. It is a flaw in the system that unfortunately I fell victim to.