University of Wisconsin-Madison Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

2.5

Research Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Interview

Interviewed with department Administrator, Program Specialist, Manager for first round of interview, then with the addition of physicians and staff for second interview. The people were very nice, and the interviews were primarily about experience and what my goals were. For me, it felt like a good fit. I was told after the second interview that I was one of two that was up for the job. The manager was going abroad for the holidays and called before departure and told me to "hang in there" and hoped to contact my references before she left, and if not, would have the Program Specialist do so while she was gone. So I alerted my references about the upcoming contact and it never happened. In addition, the week the manager returned I waited until the end of the week before contacting. After sending an email, it was never returned. I waited another week and sent another email which was finally returned by the manager...and was told that she did not return my previous email because she did not have the answers yet...I would have appreciated her telling me that rather than ignoring my email for a week. I was told to wait again, and it was not for another nearly two weeks where a letter arrived in my mailbox that I did not get the position. Managers should not say they are contacting references if they have no intention...it was a bit humiliating to give my references a heads up and them having to tell me they were not contacted.
    The Administrative Program Specialist was very welcoming which I appreciated. The physicians were wonderful as well as staff. The overall time of this process was about three months.

Interview Questions

• Mainly about my experience and my forecast for the next 5 years.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 8+ weeksinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Interview

I contacted the professor that posted an earlier job via e-mail. The previous position was no longer available but she expected to be able to hire another person in the coming months, so we scheduled a time to meet in person. We remained in contact after the meeting and I was offered a job about 6 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions focused on if I would fit into the research group's style.   Answer Question

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Interview

I had 2 panel interviews: one with peers and manager, second with physicians. All contact was made through HR. There was about a month turn around from when the application was submitted to when I started. I believe that the process has changed from when I was hired. Most contact seems to come through the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation - was told where I would be starting.

Graduate Student (PhD) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Interview

A month or two after I applied online, the department chair called me and informed me that the program would like for me to interview. They paid for my flight and hotel. The faculty, staff, and current graduate students were friendly and helpful. I was allowed to select 4-5 faculty members with whom I would like to meet. All of my chosen faculty members were able to meet with me except for one, who was out of town. There were 6 meetings that day. 4 of the meetings were with the faculty members I selected, one was with the department chair, and the last meeting was with a member of the selection committee. I was informed of their decision within 6 weeks of the interview. It would have been sooner, but I had apparently been wait-listed.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty straightforward. They asked me about my undergraduate research, why I was interested in the graduate program, and why I thought it would be a good match for me.   Answer Question

Lead Accountant - UW Madison Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison in August 2014.

Interview

Three stages....first, written response to the "exam" which is the actual application part, consisting of three to four or more questions. The telephone interview came next and they emailed me about an hour before with more questions they wanted to ask. The telephone interview was with a panel of 3-4 people, and is extremely difficult to gage as you can not read their expressions or body language. Finally the in person interview was between two groups of four people each time. And again they emailed me two pages of questions which you can prepare responses to ahead of time.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had to deal with a group of difficult people, and what you did to handle them?   1 Answer

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Pretty smooth. Our department is small. It's hard to get funding for a PhD Student. We don't have undergraduates, so no TA position available. Sometimes we need to look for fundings from another department.

Instructor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI).

Interview

Responded to ad with job application letter and resume. Called to come for personal interview. Three on One interview with program director and two staff members. Background check. Reference check. Offered job. Accepted and began two weeks later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offered 25% appointment for one year.

Administrative Program Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI).

Interview

Long delays in communication between initial application and interview process. Though I expected a two-step process, there was only one interview held over a half-day with various groups and individuals.

Interview Questions

• There were no unexpected or creative interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was convinced that there were no negotiations possible, as the hiring manager offered the maximum allowed by the ruling College's HR official. I later learned that this was all a fiction.

Supervisor Position Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Interview

Applied through student job center, got an email inviting to interview within two weeks. Interviewed the next week and got a response the week after. The process was relax and the interviewers did not make me feel uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• How would you manage a group of college students when you, yourself is a college student?   Answer Question

Security Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Interview

It is a long process, but it is a police department and want to know who they are hiring. Sometimes it does take them a while to make a decision. Most people do not make it through the background check because they are not honest about their past.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your Ahha Momnet.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They tell you up front what you will be paid. No negotiation.