University of Wisconsin-Madison

Updated Nov 5, 2014
Updated Nov 5, 2014

2.5

Research Specialist Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison.

New interviewer with experienced predecessor. Generic classic questions you can find online. The interviewer was unsure and looked to the predecessor in questioning. I left the interview without even discussing my qualifications. I would not call this experience a professional one. I have worked in other establishments where talent specific qualities were identified and acknowledged. Here I did not get that feeling at all.

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

I had 2 panel interviews: one with peers and manager, second with physicians. All contact was made through HR. There was about a month turn around from when the application was submitted to when I started. I believe that the process has changed from when I was hired. Most contact seems to come through the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation - was told where I would be starting.

Graduate Student (PhD) Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison.

A month or two after I applied online, the department chair called me and informed me that the program would like for me to interview. They paid for my flight and hotel. The faculty, staff, and current graduate students were friendly and helpful. I was allowed to select 4-5 faculty members with whom I would like to meet. All of my chosen faculty members were able to meet with me except for one, who was out of town. There were 6 meetings that day. 4 of the meetings were with the faculty members I selected, one was with the department chair, and the last meeting was with a member of the selection committee. I was informed of their decision within 6 weeks of the interview. It would have been sooner, but I had apparently been wait-listed.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty straightforward. They asked me about my undergraduate research, why I was interested in the graduate program, and why I thought it would be a good match for me.   Answer Question

Lead Accountant - UW Madison Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison in August 2014.

Three stages....first, written response to the "exam" which is the actual application part, consisting of three to four or more questions. The telephone interview came next and they emailed me about an hour before with more questions they wanted to ask. The telephone interview was with a panel of 3-4 people, and is extremely difficult to gage as you can not read their expressions or body language. Finally the in person interview was between two groups of four people each time. And again they emailed me two pages of questions which you can prepare responses to ahead of time.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you had to deal with a group of difficult people, and what you did to handle them?   View Answer

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Pretty smooth. Our department is small. It's hard to get funding for a PhD Student. We don't have undergraduates, so no TA position available. Sometimes we need to look for fundings from another department.

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Responded to ad with job application letter and resume. Called to come for personal interview. Three on One interview with program director and two staff members. Background check. Reference check. Offered job. Accepted and began two weeks later.

Interview Questions
    Offered 25% appointment for one year.

Administrative Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Long delays in communication between initial application and interview process. Though I expected a two-step process, there was only one interview held over a half-day with various groups and individuals.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected or creative interview questions.   Answer Question
    I was convinced that there were no negotiations possible, as the hiring manager offered the maximum allowed by the ruling College's HR official. I later learned that this was all a fiction.

Supervisor Position Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Applied through student job center, got an email inviting to interview within two weeks. Interviewed the next week and got a response the week after. The process was relax and the interviewers did not make me feel uncomfortable.

Interview Questions
    • How would you manage a group of college students when you, yourself is a college student?   Answer Question

Security Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison.

It is a long process, but it is a police department and want to know who they are hiring. Sometimes it does take them a while to make a decision. Most people do not make it through the background check because they are not honest about their past.

Interview Questions
    They tell you up front what you will be paid. No negotiation.

Student Services Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison.

There was a two step interview process. The first round was with two administrative staff and the department chair. The second interview was with two program-affiliated faculty.