University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

www4.uwm.edu

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Interview Questions

2.7

Associate Lecturer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

There was no formal interview for this position - I submitted my resume and application and received a call in the middle of the summer offering me a position for the following school year.

Interview Questions
    • I was never asked an interview question, which was pretty strange.   Answer Question
    You cannot negotiate pay.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

I submitted an application and resume, was called back after two weeks for an interview. I just had one interview and was offered the position later that day.

Interview Questions
    • I actually had no problem answering any of the questions. I do have a lot of experience though.   Answer Question
    I was offered the position and I asked how flexible the pay rate was (the listed rate was one dollar less). I was asked what I was looking for and I simply said my rate and it was accepted.

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

This is a state position, application process is long, slow, and without much of the feedback you find in the private sector. Unless it is an emergency for the hiring manager expect it to take weeks to months. If you need a job TODAY, this process isn't for you.

There are formal questions, and tests, that you will be required to take, your resume is only a very small piece of the puzzle. The application tests will be reviewed and graded by people who have nothing to do with the position but are looking for completeness and coherency of answers. All applicants are scored and applications are ranked based on score. Only then does the hiring department get to see the top X (in my case 5) applicants for the position.

From here I had two phone interviews, the first a very basic screening, the second I was asked a list of set questions posed to all applicants, all non-technical and very "HR" type questions, "Tell us about a challenge you overcame at your last position." These answers are also scored and ranked.

After this you may be granted an in-person interview with hiring department, managers and staff. Most of who I was interviewed by I would not have contact with in my position, they had little real interest in the interview process. Many of them were "lifers" and had little understanding or my role or care, they just wanted to get out of their regular jobs.

Your in-person interview will be scored, and ranked, and turned into the state. A bureaucrat someplace will rank the applicants based on the scores + their own feelings on reading notes, politics, whatever and make a "recommendation" on who to hire. The hiring manager generally has to follow this recommendation, but not always if they are willing to risk politics. It may take weeks to contact the person they want to make an offer to, although they expected a reply from me within 48 hours. If you are not offered a position it can be weeks to months before they let you know they weren't interested. Again, this process is _much_ slower than the private sector.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were very difficult or unexpected. Infact as far as the technical interview they only were expecting minimal knowledge needed to fill the position. People who would have never made the cut for a private-sector position would have been easily offered the job.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. Salaries are determined by position grade and salary assigned to that grade.

Language Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Once I applied I quickly had the opportunity to interview. It was a fairly informal setting in one of the conference rooms on campus. The interviewer was friendly and open to having a nice conversation about the position and expectations.

Interview Questions
    • What attributes do you believe make you a good candidate for a tutoring position?   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Once you apply to a program you should contact the graduate director and ask about teaching assistant positions. In certain departments you may need to interview, however my admittance was based off of my application, writing sample and transcripts.

Interview Questions
    Not a negotiable offer. Take it or leave it.

Graduate Student Services Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in July 2011.

Submitted my application and resume, was called in for an interview about a week later. The interview was very basic with questions like:
    -How would you work with a difficult patron?
    -What is your biggest strength/weakness?
    -Are you a team player?

Interview Questions
    • They asked a question about diversity and working with various cultural/racial groups, which can be a touchy subject to address.   Answer Question

Security Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in July 2009.

There is only one interview for University Housing positions. Recently UH had created a job fair like interview process. This is where all the departments interview candidates on the same day. This is to increase hiring productivity. You should wear at least a collard shirt and khakis. Be prepared to answer questions about previous experiences, your strengths, weaknesses, expectations, and so on. It is a pretty standard interview.

Interview Questions
    • There really isn't a difficult question. If you are qualified for the position and work hard, you will get it.   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Extremely lenghty process beginning with exhaustive multiple question online application and several months before grading of application was provided, then several more months before face-to-face panel interview. Notification that they went with another candidate took more months and there was no response when asked why this was the case.

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions about Project Management practices that left little room for assessing this as an organization that was open to change management of process improvement.   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Phone interview, then panel interview, then one on one with hiring manager.

no negotiation