University of York Interview Questions

Updated Jul 12, 2014
Updated Jul 12, 2014

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of York

Part Time Administrator Interview

This was a job share role, for a part-time job in a STEM department. As I do freelance work as a science writer, I thought this would be very interesting. The interview process began when the woman who I was sharing the role with came to meet me in the reception area and took me for a walk around the building. When she showed me the library, I explained about my interest in science, but she didn't seem to care. I asked her what she did in her role, to show my interest in the duties of the position; she looked at me like I was crazy and said, "I'm an administrator." The actual interview was a panel interview, with three people on the panel: one was my potential manager, one was an HR person, and I forget who the third person was.

Interview Questions
    • It was a long time ago, so I don't remember the exact question, but I was asked what I would do in a situation if my manger was away - I vaguely remember something to do with someone not being able to attend an event.   View Answer

Part-Time Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of York.

Obvious internal communication failure during hiring process. I was hired with after submitting a CV that shows 20+ years of office experience, including managing an office by myself.

At the interview, when I was asked how I would handle particular problems that occurred when she was not available, the interviewer appeared shocked when I revealed that I knew how to handle them myself without asking for help, and that I would consider how to deal with problems on a case by case basis. I would be a pretty pathetic worker if after 20+ years of employment (as indicated on a 3-page CV!) I could not handle difficult situations on my own or make my own decisions.

It appeared that they were looking for a young, recent graduate with only a small amount of work experience and little self confidence, and that my prospective employer did not appreciate the benefit of having someone who could take care of things independently so she could get on with her important work - and possibly get promoted herself.,

The interview itself consisted of a tour around the building, a test on Microsoft Word and a panel interview.

I obviously did not get the job, but it is for the best as it seems from the above that I would have been dealing with an insecure manager.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you were not prepared for a task.   View Answer