Unum Group Disability Benefits Specialist Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014
9 interviews

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Disability Benefit Specialist Interview

I submitted my resume and three days later I got an email that said to fill out the questionnaire that was attached. I was given 48 hours to complete it. After I emailed the questionnaire, I received an email saying that they wanted to do a phone interview with me. My phone interview is next week.

Other Interview Reviews for Unum Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Unum Group in June 2014.

A recruiter initially contacted me via email and had me complete a Preliminary Questionnaire for the position. After that, I received an email requesting to schedule a phone interview. Once the phone interview process was completed, I was then asked to complete a Math and Critical Thinking test (taken on-site), along with a Caliper Assessment (taken online from-home). Once these assessments were completed, it took 2 weeks before someone got back to me. After following up with the recruiter twice, I was told they wanted to bring me in for an in-person interview. When I arrived at the interview, there was another candidate there with me. They brought us into a conference room where we watched a short video clip which explained the position responsibilities. We were then split up and interviewed by 2 managers at a time. Once the first set of managers were finished interviewing, they switched off so that the second set of managers could interview you. Two days later, I received a phone call with an official job offer.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were behavioral-based. They are looking for very specific and real life examples in your answers. If your answer is too vague, they will ask you to specify again with specific examples.   Answer Question

Disability Benefits Specialist Interview

3 part process to getting the job. Application - testing for math and critical thinking and then passing the interview process. The application took the longest amount of time. the testing was two hours and the questions were very simple but if you dont know simple math then move on to a different postion. Finally, the interview process was 2 hours and you had two different set of people interviewing you but asking essentially the same questions. Be prepared to say the same information in different ways to dazzle.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of people you deal wiht day to day may surprise you by being vague or suspicous with their answers to questions - how would you deal with misinformation you recieve?   Answer Question

Disability Benefit Specialist Interview

Within 48 hours of applying for a position in Central MA, I was contacted by an HR Representative (in CA) via email requesting a phone interview for the next day. The phone interview was conducted by a different HR Rep (this one out of TN) and took about 40 minutes. At the end of the call, I was scheduled for testing which i had to do in the office. The test was two parts (math and reasoning) and took about an hour and thirty minutes to complete. Later that afternoon, I was emailed directions to take a very long and tedious online personality/behavioral test that included some SAT style math as well.

The next day, I was contacted to come in for a panel interview and I am awaiting this meeting now.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to deliver bad or disappointing news to someone and the outcome.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Unum Group.

Be prepared for multiple steps and a lot of waiting around for results or for the recruiter to get back to you.

I applied online and got a 30 min phone interview. It was pretty standard except I was asked behavioral questions right away. Then, I went in to take a math and reasoning test which wasn't too difficult. I also had to a Caliper personality test on the internet at home. Next, I was scheduled for "Selection Day" where I had a group Q&A with 3 other candidates, and you get to ask questions regarding benefits, training, perks, etc. Then, each person is taken in a room (which reminded me of an interrogation room) and was interviewed by the hiring directors in sets of 2, for a total of 4 interviewers with separate questions. They ask pretty tough behavioral questions if you're not prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe a time when you were faced with a tough decision and you decided to not take action.   View Answer
    Negotiation was done through the in-house recruiter. It was tough because the compensation package was pre-set and there was very little wiggle room.

Anonymous Employee  in  Glendale, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Unum Group in August 2012.

This is a very nice company who tries very hard to make you feel comfortable during the interview. First there is a short movie and group Q&A and then you are taken to a room where you have two interviews with two supervisors each. During those interviews, you are asked almost exclusively for situation based examples from your past, since they feel those indicate future performance. It can be awkward if you don't have a good example and don't feel comfortable fabricating scenarios on the fly like me. The standard interview questions are minimal.

Interview Questions
    • Examples from your past of:
      - Developing a rapport with a difficult person, how you did it and the results.
      - Dealing with a problems that had options, your choice and the result.
      - A scenario where you had multiple competing tasks and found success; how so.
      - Attentive listening.
      - Resolving differences of opinion constructively.
      - Creating detailed procedures to increase accuracy.
      - Creating an action plan to reach an identified goal.
      It's amazing how many random situations they think you have just floating around in your head. Some of us don't live in the past my friends.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Unum Group in May 2008.

I applied online and was contacted within a week. I then passed a group interview where only five were hired. They used the ancient what items would you use on the moon test. I argued that a revolver would not be necessary but food, water, oxygen, communication devices, shelter and a few other items were essential. One interviewee suggested that the revolver would be necessary to fend off aliens. She did not get the job.

Interview Questions
    • A list of 25 items were presented to the group which was split into 6 subgroups.   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate a starting salary of $40,000 with bonus. I met the bonus and got an 8% raise the following year.

Disability Benefits Specialist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Unum Group in May 2011.

Two weeks after I applied I was contacted to complete a Preliminary Questions form. They basically want to assess what you know about the company and how your skill set applies. After they reviewed that I was scheduled for a one hr telephone interview and from their was moved along to a critical thinking and math test on site that took two hours. From there I got an email to complete "another assessment". It is a Caliper Personality test and about two weeks later they contacted me to say they had made an offer to another candidate.

Disability Benefit Specialist Interview

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Unum Group in January 2011.

I applied online received a confirmation email for a phone interview. I had the phone interview it lasted 50 minutes and i was then contacted for an assessment. The assessment lasted two hours. where you take a typing test and also some behavioral questions. based on that u go in for a group interview with the management.

Interview Questions

Worked for Unum Group? Contribute to the Community!