Unum Group Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015

3.2

Human Resources Interview

Interview

First I had a Phone screen, then an in person one on one interview. INterview consisted basic behavioral questions, tell me about a time when ...very friendly, interview was very relaxed and easy

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Unum Group.

Interview

The interview process seemed to be going well. Initally the HR representative was very responsive. However, after the last round of interviews, I sent several emails and she was unresponsive.

Feedback: Close the loop of the interview process and be responsive to a candidate. Extremely dissapointed with the HR rep's professionalism.

Systems Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Unum Group.

Interview

I applied online via the company website. I was contacted in a few days by an HR representative who completed an initial phone screen. HR representative was very professional and likable. The initial phone screen covered my work history, strengths and weaknesses, career goals, etc. The initial screen was followed up by an onsite interview. The interview was conducted by the hiring manager and two technical resources. Questions covered work history, experience, etc. Technical questions were not very challenging and consisted of basic SQL queries, XML processing, some basic .Net framework questions.

Interview Questions

• Given a data model, write a query that illustrates basic joins and aggregate functions.   Answer Question

Programmer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Unum Group.

Interview

Applied - It took about 4 weeks to get a call from HR. HR Called - Discussing the position. Interview - scheduled at the time HR called. Went in on a Friday for interview and was given offer on the following Monday.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Easy, straightforward, vary fair-competitive offer.

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Unum Group.

Interview

1. Applied online
    2. Face-to-face interview with Territory Manager & Sales Manager
    3. Phone interview with HR/Recruiting
    4. Phone interview with Client Services Manager
    5. Regional Assessment Center (RAC) interview
        a. 6 consecutive 30 minute interviews with managers from around the country
        b. Case study preparation time (1 hr)
        c. Case study presentation to “board” of managers & HR representatives
        d. Discuss/debate your position with the other candidates, observed by board
    6. Travel home, offer or rejection within 24 hours

The process took about 5 weeks for me. It is definitely geared to expose the right & wrong candidates for the position.

It was very enjoyable, I would strongly recommend it to anyone who has a natural way with people, and can have intelligent dialogue. The RAC day was intense, but flew by. You got the sense that everyone you met with wanted you to perform well and just wanted to get to know you. Managers seemed to realize that the process would sort the candidates out, and they were not there to sink anyone.

Make sure you know thoroughly who Unum is, why you want to work there, and why it's a good fit.

Interview Questions

• The debate was tough, as it required you to defend your point with conviction, and try to sink other candidates positions, while not being a total jerk.   Answer Question

Professional Development Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Unum Group (Portland, ME) in November 2014.

Interview

First round interview was phone/video interview about 60 mins with a senior HR staffing specialist. Pretty much all situational/behavioral questions. Really need to nail down concrete examples of what you've specifically done and contributed in situations. 5 min case study at the end that was extremely simple. Received immediate call back for second round interview 1 hour after my first interview. Second round was 2-on-1 with one PDP associate and one HR staffing specialist via phone/video interview. This was about 45-60 mins and again was 100% behavioral questions so have at least 3 examples and practice a lot. Was notified again right after my interview that I was selected to attend the super day. Prior to that I had to take a exam, part personality, part logic and a 3 hour case study simulation. The final round interview was a dinner with the interviewers the night before and then a full day at the office. There were three interview sessions, each with two of the executives from the executive committee. One interview was all behavioral questions and the other two were full case studies (profit/loss, M&A). Practice case-in-point, BCG, Bain etc. Was notified 30 mins after I left that I was being offered a position. Very competitive salary and benefits. The execs were so supportive, however I had another offer in the location I wanted to be in.

Interview Questions

• The behavioral questions were tough, they will probe for very specific answers.
      'In 40 years when you're giving your retirement speech, who do you hope is in the audience?'
      'If you were known for one thing at the end of your career, what would you want that to be?'

Answer Question

Wanted to be in Boston and the length of the program. However it was a very tough choice

Claims Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Unum Group (Glendale, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview process was about 2 months long. It was a long process, every time you would get through one interview there would be another online exam then another phone interview and on it went.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how your came up with a solution to a problem and how did it end?   Answer Question

FMLA Leave Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Unum Group in November 2014.

Interview

I applied through a temporary agency for the position. I started the process by having an interview with the temporary agency and taking a watson glacer critical thinking test. After qualifying I was told I would be contact within a few weeks about an actual interview with some hiring managers. I got an interview about 2 weeks after my initial meeting with the temp agency. I did a panel interview with two sets of hiring managers each session taking about 30 minutes. They asked questions about what I knew about Unum group as a whole and what I knew about the position overall. I was asked about 10-12 questions in which I had to tell in detail* about what I had accomplished to get through a difficult situation at work, or a time where I used my skills in a business setting.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Unum and what we do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Unable to negotiate, was given the starting salary before beginning the interview process.

Actuarial Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Unum Group in October 2014.

Interview

It was a phone interview. We first went through my resume, then moved to behavioral questions. The entire thing lasted 40 or 45 minutes. The behavioral questions were challenging, and i often felt stumped even though I had prepared. I was asked to use a specific example about when a group partner didm;t fully cooperate. then asked a similar question for "a different group project" and then on yet another question, I was told to use an example from a different group project. I felt like I didn't have enough group projects with uncooperating partners!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to make a quick decision about something where you maybe didn't have all the components necessary to make the decision.   Answer Question

Professional Development Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Unum Group.

Interview

I applied a little late and the process took about 3 weeks. First interview was a video interview with an HR consultant, consisting mostly of behavioral questions and a short case study. The second interview was a video interview with an HR consultant, the PDP manager, and a current PDP associate, where behavioral questions were asked with more follow up questions and a short case study. The final interview was on site in Chattanooga, where senior leaders took all the interviewees out to dinner with current PDP members. The next day there were 3 interviews with case studies at the end of each.