Unum Group Interview Questions

Updated Sep 6, 2014

3.2

Disability Benefit Specialist Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Unum Group in August 2014.

I applied at UNUM in late July 2014. A couple of days after my application submission I got sent a questionnaire. After answering all the questions clearly and effectively I submitted them back in an email to the HR recruiter from there I was asked when would be a great time to schedule a phone interview. I had the phone interview two days following the email. Once I got on the phone with the recruiter (who was super pleasant) she asked some general information about myself and my skills, and background history. From there we proceeded with the phone screening. She asked rather general questions but I wasn't as prepared as I thought. After that they sent me an email stating their choice to move forward with other candidates. This company is awesome, had I been prepared more I more than likely would have gotten an offer. Be sure to answer all questions is STAR method.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to work on multiple tasks at the same time to meet a deadline?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had to deal with an out rate customer with limited resources? Did you fail at your goal or reach it?   Answer Question

Professional Development Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Unum Group.

I applied a little late and the process took about 3 weeks. First interview was a video interview with an HR consultant, consisting mostly of behavioral questions and a short case study. The second interview was a video interview with an HR consultant, the PDP manager, and a current PDP associate, where behavioral questions were asked with more follow up questions and a short case study. The final interview was on site in Chattanooga, where senior leaders took all the interviewees out to dinner with current PDP members. The next day there were 3 interviews with case studies at the end of each.

Disability Benefit Specialist Interview

I submitted my resume and three days later I got an email that said to fill out the questionnaire that was attached. I was given 48 hours to complete it. After I emailed the questionnaire, I received an email saying that they wanted to do a phone interview with me. My phone interview is next week.

Disability Benefits Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Glendale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Unum Group in June 2014.

A recruiter initially contacted me via email and had me complete a Preliminary Questionnaire for the position. After that, I received an email requesting to schedule a phone interview. Once the phone interview process was completed, I was then asked to complete a Math and Critical Thinking test (taken on-site), along with a Caliper Assessment (taken online from-home). Once these assessments were completed, it took 2 weeks before someone got back to me. After following up with the recruiter twice, I was told they wanted to bring me in for an in-person interview. When I arrived at the interview, there was another candidate there with me. They brought us into a conference room where we watched a short video clip which explained the position responsibilities. We were then split up and interviewed by 2 managers at a time. Once the first set of managers were finished interviewing, they switched off so that the second set of managers could interview you. Two days later, I received a phone call with an official job offer.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were behavioral-based. They are looking for very specific and real life examples in your answers. If your answer is too vague, they will ask you to specify again with specific examples.   Answer Question

Disability Benefits Specialist Interview

3 part process to getting the job. Application - testing for math and critical thinking and then passing the interview process. The application took the longest amount of time. the testing was two hours and the questions were very simple but if you dont know simple math then move on to a different postion. Finally, the interview process was 2 hours and you had two different set of people interviewing you but asking essentially the same questions. Be prepared to say the same information in different ways to dazzle.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of people you deal wiht day to day may surprise you by being vague or suspicous with their answers to questions - how would you deal with misinformation you recieve?   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

very difficult and requires the ability to present in front of your peers. You will be required to interview with at least 5 managers. You will have to study a LTD case and then present your solution in front of the room.

Customer Service Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Unum Group.

Applied online. Received a form with scenerio questions and more info required. Phone interview after this about a week later. Then an in-person interview with 2 hiring managers. Background check was rough - (they need a better outsource!) involving a great deal of emails back and forth to clarify basic info like name and address.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to do a "mock call" to demonstrate customer service skills with 2 interviewing managers. Not easy but fun. Rocked it!   Answer Question

Disability Benefit Specialist Interview

Within 48 hours of applying for a position in Central MA, I was contacted by an HR Representative (in CA) via email requesting a phone interview for the next day. The phone interview was conducted by a different HR Rep (this one out of TN) and took about 40 minutes. At the end of the call, I was scheduled for testing which i had to do in the office. The test was two parts (math and reasoning) and took about an hour and thirty minutes to complete. Later that afternoon, I was emailed directions to take a very long and tedious online personality/behavioral test that included some SAT style math as well.

The next day, I was contacted to come in for a panel interview and I am awaiting this meeting now.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to deliver bad or disappointing news to someone and the outcome.   Answer Question

Financial Risk Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Glendale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Unum Group in April 2014.

I applied online for the Financial Risk Consultant opportunity in Glendale, CA. A few weeks passed and I was contacted via email and asked to complete a screening questionnaire within 5 business days. It asked why I was interested in the company, for me to list relevant skills/ experiences, salary expectations/ history.... More than three weeks passed between the time I submitted the questionnaire and the time I was contacted for a follow up phone interview.

The phone interview was scheduled for a week or so later. The phone interview didn't last to long. It focused more on my motives for leaving jobs and my motives for wanting to apply to this job than it did on my relevant skills and experiences to the job. That was annoying. Also the recruiter presumptuously accused me of having left prior employers on bad terms instead of simply asking. The company doesn't appear to keen on those with employment gaps or who are currently not working

I was told the job paid only $60k to $65k although it required and advanced degree and more than 5 years of experience. The job as the recruiter described sounded much more like an underwriter role than a true business partner or consulting opportunity. The company seems good but the salary was low and the recruiter was nice but a bit too presumptuous

Interview Questions
    • nothing difficult - why do you want to work here, what do you know about the company, are you okay with the commute, are you legally allowed to work in this country   Answer Question

Business Specialist II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

I applied online - interviewed at Unum Group in February 2014.

Applied directly from Unum Group website, received an email about a week later requesting that I fill out a pre-phone interview questionnaire, had the phone interview about a week after returning the questionnaire. Had initial panel interview the following week with 4 individuals, was called back for a 2nd and 3rd interview, all panel interviews with various levels of executives and employees. Entire process took about 4-5 weeks. Some questions based on actual job experience, a lot of questions were behavioral in nature.

Interview Questions
    • Think of a time when your success in negotiating was due to the other party’s trust in you. Walk me through how you earned that trust.   View Answer

Worked for Unum Group? Contribute to the Community!