Unwired Planet Interview Questions

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Unwired Planet in May 2011.

I applied through a staffing agency. The first round consisted on phone interview.

After this, they invited me for an on-site interview. I was interviewed by two managers for the first hour. It was nothing but going through my resume and previous experience. I guess they did not like me then. When I was with two other managers in the second hour, one of the managers was called off (May be by one of the two people from the first hour).

That was it.

First thing is, they had my resume and background before, so not sure what they were smoking when they called me for an on-site if they did not like my background.

Second, for a company whose stock is a penny stock at $2.00, they seem to have lot of attitude.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Unwired Planet in June 2010.

Friendly and polite HR and hiring managers who took the time to describe the position and the skills needed for the role. After first phone interviews I was asked to fly over for an on-site interview with all of the senior leaders of the particular group. Flight was paid for and hotel/car rental was supposed to be paid for but weren't. I ended up with that part of the bill and they didn't even bother checking. The building and surrounding facilities are nice but the overall location is not so good. People were polite and on time for the interviews. Since my flight back wasn't until late that day, I was given a room to stay and do some work for the rest of the day after my last interview. No particular interview format, the usual questions but nothing very structured. The bad: they never got back to me, even to say "no thanks, you don't meet the requirements of the position". So my entire perception of that being a decent company went down the drain.

Interview Questions
    • You seem overqualified for the position. Why are you interested in it?   Answer Question

Sales Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Unwired Planet in April 2010.

Openwave's standard procedure is to do several rounds of interviews: an HR phone screening, hiring manager phone screening, hiring manager 1:1, team member 1:1s, cross-functional peer 1:1s and superior 1:1 (optional depending on position level). In my particular case both phone screenings were skipped because I was acquianted with the hiring manager at a previous company. The other interviews were relatively casual. Review of resume versus job requirements and general Q & A. I was not asked any behavioral oriented questions. Everyone I interviewed with was professional, pleasant and seemed genuinely happy to be working for the company.

Executive Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Unwired Planet in February 2010.

I was called by a recruiter who saw my resume on line. He asked lots of questions about my experience and indicated that he would call to schedule an interview. Never happened.

Interview Questions
    • How do you manage to coordinate a meeting among 5 or 6 busy execs?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Unwired Planet in September 2009.

The interview was conducted by seven people and 45 minutes by each people.

At first Hiring manager asked about my background, work experiences. Then he started asking about C++ questions - couple of questions are on how to implement a Singleton class, and write the code. How does the Virtual functions work and write a small program.

The next person was one of the principal Engineer, he drilled down on basic C and C++. Asked me on Linked List implementation, how does ++, -- operator work. Wrote some code and show the outcome.

The next candidate was again one of the principal Engineer, he was asking about basic C/C++ questions -
    a. ListA has some elements and ListB has another/common set of elements - find the common ones between these two lists. What are the algorithms can be used??
    b. String class implementations

The next person was asking about my work experiences and walk through my resume.

Several other Senior Managers from QE, PAC was asking high level questions.

yes I was able to negotiate with Hiring Manager

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Unwired Planet in January 2009.

The engineering team seems to be smart. The recruiter contacted me out of the blue. He was prepared and had a good pitch. I first spoke to an engineering director via phone. It lasted about 50minutes, lots of technical and situational type of questions. The recruiter got back to me a few days later and invited me for an onsite. I met 4 engineers and a manager. They asked appropriate level of questions and the interview ran smoothly. Everyone was on time. I had to white board a number of questions. I sensed some attitude from one of the engineers. Not sure what that was about. But overall, it seemed like a good team. Not a great environment, it was pretty stale and bland. Overall though, it was okay. Nothing incredible and nothing horrible.

Side note. Too bad they are not doing well now. It was a good place while it lasted.

Interview Questions
    • Memory mapping in C. It had been a while and I was going in for a mgr role.   Answer Question
    Recruiter was very good. He negotiated well.

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Unwired Planet in March 2011.

I applied through university career website. I was selected for interview. They asked me lots of questions. After two weeks they replied me back that they would like to following up with me. After another week I got their decision and that is NO.

Interview Questions
    • If you don't know anything, what is the procedure to know about that matter?   Answer Question

Senior Regional Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Unwired Planet in September 2009.

there was basiclly four phases enterviews I have to do:
    - HR
    - other Account Manager
    - three Regional Directors - Sales for CALA, Professional Services and global Support;
    - CaLA Area Vice President
    the processa was smooth and i think they all asked about my experience, people I know on customers I will deal with and my future vision of the company.

Interview Questions
    • what is your experience on managing accounts and which level are the people you know?   View Answer