Unwired Planet

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
Redwood City, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Unwired Planet in January 2009.

Interview Details – The engineering team seems to be smart. The recruiter contacted me out of the blue. He was prepared and had a good pitch. I first spoke to an engineering director via phone. It lasted about 50minutes, lots of technical and situational type of questions. The recruiter got back to me a few days later and invited me for an onsite. I met 4 engineers and a manager. They asked appropriate level of questions and the interview ran smoothly. Everyone was on time. I had to white board a number of questions. I sensed some attitude from one of the engineers. Not sure what that was about. But overall, it seemed like a good team. Not a great environment, it was pretty stale and bland. Overall though, it was okay. Nothing incredible and nothing horrible.

Side note. Too bad they are not doing well now. It was a good place while it lasted.

Interview Question – Memory mapping in C. It had been a while and I was going in for a mgr role.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Recruiter was very good. He negotiated well.

Very Easy Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Redwood City, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Unwired Planet in May 2011.

Interview Details – I applied through a staffing agency. The first round consisted on phone interview.

After this, they invited me for an on-site interview. I was interviewed by two managers for the first hour. It was nothing but going through my resume and previous experience. I guess they did not like me then. When I was with two other managers in the second hour, one of the managers was called off (May be by one of the two people from the first hour).

That was it.

First thing is, they had my resume and background before, so not sure what they were smoking when they called me for an on-site if they did not like my background.

Second, for a company whose stock is a penny stock at $2.00, they seem to have lot of attitude.

Interview Question – previous experience   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Redwood City, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Unwired Planet in September 2009.

Interview Details – The interview was conducted by seven people and 45 minutes by each people.

At first Hiring manager asked about my background, work experiences. Then he started asking about C++ questions - couple of questions are on how to implement a Singleton class, and write the code. How does the Virtual functions work and write a small program.

The next person was one of the principal Engineer, he drilled down on basic C and C++. Asked me on Linked List implementation, how does ++, -- operator work. Wrote some code and show the outcome.

The next candidate was again one of the principal Engineer, he was asking about basic C/C++ questions -
a. ListA has some elements and ListB has another/common set of elements - find the common ones between these two lists. What are the algorithms can be used??
b. String class implementations

The next person was asking about my work experiences and walk through my resume.

Several other Senior Managers from QE, PAC was asking high level questions.

Interview Question – Write a Singleton class and explain.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – yes I was able to negotiate with Hiring Manager

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Redwood City, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Unwired Planet in June 2010.

Interview Details – Friendly and polite HR and hiring managers who took the time to describe the position and the skills needed for the role. After first phone interviews I was asked to fly over for an on-site interview with all of the senior leaders of the particular group. Flight was paid for and hotel/car rental was supposed to be paid for but weren't. I ended up with that part of the bill and they didn't even bother checking. The building and surrounding facilities are nice but the overall location is not so good. People were polite and on time for the interviews. Since my flight back wasn't until late that day, I was given a room to stay and do some work for the rest of the day after my last interview. No particular interview format, the usual questions but nothing very structured. The bad: they never got back to me, even to say "no thanks, you don't meet the requirements of the position". So my entire perception of that being a decent company went down the drain.

Interview Question – You seem overqualified for the position. Why are you interested in it?   Answer Question

Sales Operations Interview

Redwood City, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Unwired Planet in April 2010.

Interview Details – Openwave's standard procedure is to do several rounds of interviews: an HR phone screening, hiring manager phone screening, hiring manager 1:1, team member 1:1s, cross-functional peer 1:1s and superior 1:1 (optional depending on position level). In my particular case both phone screenings were skipped because I was acquianted with the hiring manager at a previous company. The other interviews were relatively casual. Review of resume versus job requirements and general Q & A. I was not asked any behavioral oriented questions. Everyone I interviewed with was professional, pleasant and seemed genuinely happy to be working for the company.

Executive Administrative Interview

Redwood City, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Unwired Planet in February 2010.

Interview Details – I was called by a recruiter who saw my resume on line. He asked lots of questions about my experience and indicated that he would call to schedule an interview. Never happened.

Interview Question – How do you manage to coordinate a meeting among 5 or 6 busy execs?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Unwired Planet in March 2011.

Interview Details – I applied through university career website. I was selected for interview. They asked me lots of questions. After two weeks they replied me back that they would like to following up with me. After another week I got their decision and that is NO.

Interview Question – If you don't know anything, what is the procedure to know about that matter?   Answer Question

Senior Regional Account Manager Interview

São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Unwired Planet in September 2009.

Interview Details – there was basiclly four phases enterviews I have to do:
- HR
- other Account Manager
- three Regional Directors - Sales for CALA, Professional Services and global Support;
- CaLA Area Vice President
the processa was smooth and i think they all asked about my experience, people I know on customers I will deal with and my future vision of the company.

Interview Question – what is your experience on managing accounts and which level are the people you know?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Unwired Planet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Unwired Planet interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Unwired Planet employees and interview candidates.