Update Legal Interview Questions

Updated Jun 10, 2015

1.7

Temp Positions Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Update Legal.

Interview

Met with recruiter who was very nice, the meeting was a laid back experience. We mostly went over my background and resume, and discussed areas I would like to pursue.

Interview Questions

• How long can you commit to one project, How do we know you will stay on a project you are assigned even if you don't like it?   Answer Question

Document Review for Licensed Attorneys Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Update Legal (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I interviewed and I'm quite qualified. I was somewhat perplexed, however when I received an email advising they would pay me a referral fee for qualified candidates I could refer. I advised them "I" was available, but was informed they were just seeking applicants. It's very, very unprofessional and I don't appreciate them wasting professionals time with the numerous documents requesting highly confidential person information such as social security numbers, drivers license, etc. and the expense we incur to just "fill up" their database to give the impression upon the law firms that they have a large applicant pool, all the while using the same preferred temps. I also suspect that since I'm a minority, they don't hire my kind. I won't be recommending this company to any law firms or lawyers to use, I suspect they discriminate and don't really hire anyone else, just a few insiders.

Contract Attorney Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Update Legal.

Interview

I went in and had a chat with the Director. It was laid back and fun. I followed up with her the following day in in a few weeks, I was on a project.

Interview Questions

• The basics: Where did I go to school -- When did I graduate -- My background in document review, etc.   Answer Question

Document Revier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Update Legal (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview was quick after filling out some paperwork. The woman I spoke with was very pleasant. I had interviewed with 2 other document review agencies prior to that, and she seemed the most likely to actually find me temporary work.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interview was questions about my past experiences and explaining them in further detail.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There are none. The company hiring for the project sets the per hr rate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Update Legal (Boston, MA) in September 2014.

Interview

You're called into the office by one of the recruiters. During this interview/meeting they get a feel for your experience and what you're ultimately looking for career wise but what you're willing to do while you pursue that career track. They have you fill out tax information so that once you are placed on a contract, you can get paid the following week. They tell you that some jobs require being an admitted attorney in good standing while others only require a JD. Although I am an attorney in good standing, my current contract is one that only requires a JD so I am making $5 less than most jobs that require being an attorney. However, the contracts Update Legal has tend to run for a solid period of time and are far more beneficial than other agencies in the area who pay JD temp employees between $18-25.

Interview Questions

• "What type of work are you looking for?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Update Legal (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

30 minute interview highlighting relevant education & experience - paperwork had been previously forwarded & completed

Interview Questions

• asked about nature of some projects involving trade secrets and pending patents   1 Answer

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Update Legal (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I sent in my resume for a position in San Francisco that seemed to fit me perfectly - I live in LA, so I would have had to relocate. I spoke to Daniela, she was really cool, had a great English accent, which I am a sucker for - besides that, she was very professional, and knew what she was doing. I went to the LA office to submit the paperwork, and unfortunately did not get the position, as they filled it, probably with someone local, no big deal. They said they would let me know if something comes up that would be a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Why am I working as a paralegal when I could be doing something else?   1 Answer

Contract Attorney for Document Review Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Update Legal (New York, NY) in July 2013.

Interview

I responded to an ad on Craigslist, which sought recent law school graduates for document review. I did not realize that it was posted by a recruiting firm specializing in the legal industry. After they determined that I possessed the minimum prerequisites for the opportunity, they called me to set up an interview. I was e-mailed a job application, which I filled out prior to the interview, and I was instructed to bring my social security card, along with my driver's license with me to the interview. The interview took place in their New York City offices, which was easy to reach via public transportation. The reception area of their office was spacious with comfortable couches. After filling out the required tax forms and contact information for my references, I waited for 10 or so minutes in their reception area. The woman who interviewed me was extremely warm, very welcoming, and easy to talk to. She asked standard interview questions about my credentials, including my education, work experience, and various other technical skills listed on my resume. I got the impression that they really sought to place candidates in the best possible work environment. They seemed to really care about whether the opportunity would be a good fit for the candidate, as opposed to just whether the candidate was qualified for the position. After the interview, my interviewer thanked me for coming, and promised to keep in contact with me via phone. They were extremely prompt, and I felt as though I was an active participant throughout the entire process. Very few recruiting firms have ever made me feel as though they really cared, but Update Legal and its employees truly did. As someone who had just graduated from law school, Update Legal's unassuming, service-oriented attitude about my application really made me feel less anxious about the whole process. While most interviews are borderline nerve-wracking, the entire process with Update Legal was nothing short of extremely pleasant.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions could not be classified as either difficult or unexpected. The interview questions were pretty standard. One of the questions the interviewer asked was: Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

I received another offer for a document review position from another firm that was willing to pay a little bit more.

Document Review Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Update Legal (New York, NY) in July 2009.

Interview

Interview was very quick. Went over resume with recruiter. Asked about availabiliy.