Urban Green Energy

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Development Associate Interview

Business Development Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Urban Green Energy.

Interview Details – They were seeking a new Business Development Associate for their BD team. Had a great phone interview and initial in-person interview but then was told there would be a 3 week waiting period because there were some internal changes to the company. After three weeks, had another interview (phone) with BD Director. Follow up conversation the next week was positive except that they weren't able to hire for a new position at all, only offer an unpaid position with the possibility of it turning into a full time position, depending on performance. Too bad, positive experience in any case and would go through process again if a true position opened up.

Interview Question – Would you be willing to take an unpaid position?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Urban Green Energy

Interview Details – I had a phone interview for an unpaid internship. The interview was really short and really fast. The person that interviewed me asked me basic questions about things on my resume. After about 5 questions, the person interviewing me said alright thats the end of the interview we will contact you about the next steps. I got an email the next day that I was not accepted for the internship.

Interview Question – What experience do you have with FEM?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Urban Green Energy.

Interview Details – E-mailed me to set up a phone interview. Easy questions about school, classes I'm taking and what I've learned. This was my sophomore year in college, so they didn't expect too much from me from a technical standpoint. After the phone interview, brought me in to the office to meet all the other employees.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult; i.e. What classes are you taking right now?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Unpaid intern position

Business Development Interview

Business Development
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Green Energy in October 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview- the recruiter asked questions about sustainability, sales, my foreign language experience, my experience is like cold calling, what I know about the company , etc. Not very difficult

I then came in about a week later and met with their international sales manager and the recruiter who I spoke with on the phone. Similar questions to my phone interview, mostly about my sales experience, my knowledge of distributed energy, how I would sell the company's products to a client, and where I see the biggest opportunity for their products.

When I asked them questions, things became very vague. They dodged questions about their annual sales, the salary and their expected trajectory. When I asked about their training program for sales, their manager said that they didn't have a fully developed program, but that they gave you a few books to read. Yes, that seriously happened.

Interview Question – How would you sell distributed renewable energy systems to a commercial client?   Answer Question

Marketing Position Interview

Marketing Position
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Green Energy in August 2012.

Interview Details – Had two in person interviews in the Manhattan office. The science and product are really promising (though not made in the USA). The focus is clearly on company culture. Most employees seemed to be young and energetic - which is good - but a lack of anyone older than 35 or non-white might be a red flag for those who values diversity and experience. Interview was pretty standard for a small department (3 people) and interviewers were genuinely friendly. The pay scale was devastatingly low, which makes me wonder why they are spending so much money on (non-green) office space in Manhattan, a city that is notoriously hesitant about green energy in general, and wind energy in particular - seemed like a disconnect between theoretical green values and actual business acumen. On perhaps a more mundane note, I am suspicious of eco-companies that have offices filled with dead potted plants.

Interview Question – Questions leaned towards controlling their brand identity with partner organizations, which is impossible without some kind of partnership standards or agreements coming from the higher partner-forming level (sales and contracts). This kind of focus painted a picture of a business with some high level decision-making problems.   Answer Question

Worked for Urban Green Energy? Contribute to the Community!