Urban Outfitters Department Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2015

2.2

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was for a new store opening up in Georgia. It took approximately 3 months just to get an in person (open) interview that lasted less than twenty minutes. Highly unprofessional and the Manager doing the interviewing disclosed the fact they hadn't even signed a lease yet. How reassuring!

Interview Questions

• What do you do as store management to drive sales in your department?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Urban Outfitters

Department Manager Interview

Interview

Group interviews happen first followed by interviews by either a department manager or a store manager. IF the store manager is amazed, the district manager will set up an interview and follow up with an offer letter to open negotiations.

Department Manager Interview

Interview

Too much done online. Went through multiple questionnaires and video interview processes before being deemed eligible for a formal interview with the Store Manager. Once I got that interview, it was unprofessional (done in the store with customers walking around us and being distracting). The manager made it clear that there was a "promote from within" agenda with the company and that I could work as an associate to 'show good faith' sort of thing. I could tell that the position would be dangled so that they could get someone to work the floor during the busy holiday hours.

Interview Questions

• Hypothetical of what I would do to motivate employees who weren't performing quickly enough.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Urban Outfitters (Knoxville, TN).

Interview

Very short interview process with two different people. Basic questions regarding your experience in retail.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were pretty basic interview questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters (Louisville, KY) in April 2012.

Interview

Applied online and talked to a recruiter via email about a job fair for the new louisville store opening in July 2012. First applied in March, then had the group interview in late April. They really stressed they you should wear what you would wear if you worked for UO. This was to get a feel for your fashion sense and all around personality. I talked 1 on 1 with several different UO recruiters about my management style, confrontations with employees and customers and how i would act in the situations, my skills and goals, etc. I felt like all they cared about during the interview was my personal style sense and retail experience. I have 1 year retail management and 7 years customer service experience, but they didn't offer me any position whatsoever and not even an explanation as to why i didn't meet their expectations. They also led me on for many months with the possibility of a position, and finally just sent me an automated email saying i don't have a position.

Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Urban Outfitters (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

i applied online. got call back within a week. she already knew i had retail experience, so she scheduled an interview. sat down 1:1 and just boasting about my experience. i used to work for hollister so we had similar systems. she asked what i learned from the company. what my role was.

Interview Questions

• what did i learn from the company   1 Answer
    • what did you do as a manager   1 Answer

the commute was 60 miles away and i finally decided not to do retail anymore.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters (Seattle, WA) in October 2007.

Interview

Attended a group interview, then an interview with two store managers, followed by a 1 on 1 interview with a district manager.

Interview Questions

• you have asked an employee three times to complete a project, and they are still being distracted and have not completed it in a timely manner. how do you deal with this situation?   Answer Question