Urban Outfitters

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Display Artist

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – Filled out a relatively indepth online application. Asked for work/education history, relevant portfolio pieces, and a ton of short essay type questions. Those questions ran the gamut from where you find cultural/art news, experiences with Urban stores, and your "ideal day".

Interview Question – Nothing too out of the ordinary, but some of the questions seemed to be extremely strange to answer without knowing who it was that would be reading it.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in May 2013.

Interview Details – There were a total of three interviews. Each one was held at a store different from the one that I was applying for, but it was great to see the different dynamics of each visual team from each store.

In the first interview, I was interviewed by the store's merchandising manager and display artist. At first, I was intimidated to have the current display artist (DA) there, but he actually helped make the interview more casual. The interview was held on the sales floor which was awkward at first, but I was paying more attention to the interview to really notice the customers walking around. The merchandising manager went down a list of standard questions about my work experience and shop experience and the DA supplemented reasons for why each question was vital and also added personal questions that he felt were important. After the interview, we reviewed my portfolio.

I received a call within days and the second interview was held days later at a different store with another merchandising manager and display artist. This interview was held in the area of the store fitting rooms. The questions were similar, but there was a focus on my craftsmanship skills and woodshop/shop experience.

My final interview was with the district merchandising manager and district display mentor (in charge of training new display artists).

In terms of all of the interview questions, they are all related to the position: what tools are you comfortable with, what is your previous design experience and how well do you design in teams, etc.

If you're interested in becoming a display artist, get to know the position by going to the store and looking at the displays. Urban Outfitters is different from other stores since the display artists create each floor set every season. We do not just get a few signs to put up throughout the store, nor do we receive pre-made displays. Display artists build each fixture from scratch, so take a look at all the skills you will need as you walk through the store.

Interview Question – What challenges have you faced in a previous project and how did you handle this challenge?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes. I was able to talk to the manager about the hourly rate over the phone.

Very Easy Interview

Brea, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2013.

Interview Details – Very relaxed. I pretty much led the interview by telling them my work history. No rush to hire.

Interview Question – What's your favorite tool.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Urban Outfitters

Interview Details – I applied for this job and got a phone call about two weeks later to set up an interview. I could have driven to the location, but they were very laid-back and fine with just doing it on the phone in a couple of days. It was a very nice interview! They were extremely enthusiastic and totally relaxed about the whole thing. I felt very at-ease and found it easy to answer their questions, even though I had been very nervous before. I didn't get the job, but it wasn't anything I could have done. The person leaving the position didn't end up getting the position THEY were leaving for, so it was no longer available. Bummer, but I'd definitely love to give it another shot if given the chance. It really was awesome, as far as interviews go. I felt like I could really be myself!

Interview Question – "Who is your favorite artist?" Not because it's a crazy question to ask, it's just not something I've been asked since college and it took me more than a little off-guard.   Answer Question

Newark, DE

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in February 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by a younger man dressed very casually (flannel shirt, ripped up jeans, tattoos/piercings shown). I was asked the usual questions, "Why do you want to work for Urban Outfitters?", "Why do you think you are a good candidate for this position?", "What background experience do you have for this position?", "What inspires you?", etc. What threw me off is when he asked a lot of questions regarding my ability to work with wood and building. Working with wood is part of the Display Artist's job, as it says in the job description, but it wasn't clear that a huge majority of the job was working with wood until I went to an interview. The interviewer asked how long I thought it would take me to build a large book case/shelf for the store, a couple hours or up to a full work day. He also told me that it would be better for me to work in the store first as retail associate, or an assistant to the Display Artist, then work my way up to the Display Artist position. If this is the case, why was I asked to an interview in the first place? Don't get me wrong, it was a great experience, but I feel that the company did not review my application very thoroughly. Additionally, they did not follow up with me after 2 weeks even though they said they would. Overall, the interview process was very laid back and everyone representing the company was very friendly and a pleasure to talk to. I recommend bringing an art portfolio with you to the interview, and show them lots of things you have made with wood!

Interview Question – How long do you think it would take you to build a large book shelf/display for the store. A couple hours? A full work day?   Answer Question

Display Artist

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in September 2011.

Interview Details – After having three interviews, with three different sets of individuals they have yet to call me back, even though they promised to contact me within a week's time. I find this both unprofessional and disrespectful. It is not too much to ask for a simple phone call. The interviews were all the same: general conversations, mostly directed by myself. The strangest of them actually took place on the sales floor, not in an office. I understand they are trying to go for the casual, hip vibe, but I still believe that was unusual, unprofessional, and must have looked strange to customers.

Interview Question – Why should I hire you? (none of the questions asked were particularly creative or original)   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Display Artist Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in January 2010.

Interview Details – It was short and fast.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Urban Outfitters

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Urban Outfitters Display Artist interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Urban Outfitters employees and interview candidates.