Urban Outfitters Interview Questions

Updated Oct 23, 2014
Updated Oct 23, 2014

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in December 2009.

this store is just for a bunch of yuppies and hipsters! they hate as fat people! ughhh it was very weird being the only size 12 there, i reall love this store and they lost a lot of sutomers because they did not want me. i will tell everyone! basically it was a group of us and the ones that they hated including me, they told us we can leave and will give us a call which i never recied and its been 1 month

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in October 2011.

The interview was for the 86th & 3rd location in New York.

The first interview was a group interview (I loathe those) with about 5 people. The questions were more of a survey: How often do you shop online? Who is your fashion role model?

The second interview was also a group interview where the store manager played Darwin.

The store manager was so incompetent it makes me wonder how the hell did she get her job. She was asking us how we stay updated with the latest fashion trends, and when we answered with highly known fashion blogs, she had no clue what they were. So much for staying in the know.

Overall, it was a very unprofessional and unrewarding experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2011.

Although the process was long, you meet a lot of your management and hiring team along the way.

The first interview was basically a cattle call (literally like 50+ at each of the 2 open calls I have gone to) and small groups with 8-10 people. Basically a "chat" with one of the hiring managers/department managers/store managers. To be honest, here is where you are most judged on face value (i.e. your style, taste, fashion inspiration, what you're wearing that day). No mention of actual work experience. ALWAYS CHECK YOUR EMAIL! My first follow up email got stuck in my Junk mail so I missed my opportunity to take the "test"... luckily i got a 2nd chance and took it. Its not hard or particularly long...Just remember its A JOB, Urban may be laid back but the still want you to seem professional on paper.

Second interview was a week later. I met with the Store manager for about 20 mins talked about style inspiration, some mention of work experience, the "Why Urban?" question, etc. All about how you would work with customers and your style. I don't think you need a particular style like some say (like not everyone is a giant hipster) but you HAVE to have a strong style...if its retro, goth, hipster, whatever you have to show it...I would advise wearing something that reflects your style the most...even if it doesn't seem "professional"

Third interview (yes, there's more), was a meeting with the Women's Department Manager, and it was really "casual" they really push the "relaxed" vibe to get you to "be yourself" so be relaxed and funny and real. Tell stories whenever possible to show your personality. I disagree that you should be aloof and typical "hipster" persona...being excited about the job makes them want you so if you care ACT LIKE IT!

The fourth interview (last one I promise) was over the phone with the Store Manager again. Basically all business...asking about schedule conflicts, if you mind working certain hours, if you go to school, if so what is your schedule, do you mind staying late or coming early...blah blah blah. Then she offered me a job, which was AWESOME after all that work.

Overall, the company has several open interviews but don't think you can get hired right off the bat for wearing cool clothes.They only hired 5 people of the almost 100 people who showed up for the open call. Its going to take FOREVER to know if you even got it (lots and LOTS of interviews) so dont equate a second interview with a job offer. If you need immediate employment look somewhere else. On the other hand don't think you can't get far in the interview process without retail experience because I had NONE. Be personable and knowledgable of brands and your fashion inspirations. Don't be wishy washy, pick a style and go with it! be confident and you have a good chance.

Interview Questions
    I thought that the manager of the store was very accommodating... at least through the process. She allowed me to delay my start date by almost 2 months so I could handle other priorities. I have yet to start but i have gotten information about my training day already, 1 month in advance.

Planning Exploratory (Corporate) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in February 2011.

I've spoked with Urban Outfitters/Anthropolgie several times over the years on different occasions, never resulting in an offer. They are a tricky group to charm... easily offended.. take themselves and their brands quite seriously. The last round was "exploratory" which consisted of approx 30 minutes with 3 different managers and where I got the opportunity to ask questions and basically own the interview. They expressed no interest in my background and one was offended when I had the gall to speak about H&M and compare urban's strategeis as similar to H&M and the industry trends in general, in that they colloborate with outside designer brands to bring new interest to existing lines. This was apparently an insult because they feel their brands are far less mass, and are much more distinctive and original. These proud ambassadors meanwhile have far been the most unfashionable, dowdy mall rats, one would encounter at a suburban mall, not what you would in cutting edge young hip retail brand. Yet they are experts on their brands and customers. I get casual, but an abercrombie and fitch T shirt at jeans and you work at anthro?

Words of advice lay heavy on the accolades of their brands originality and how their os no one out there that comes anywhere close. You love Philadelphia and in no way could your decade experience of living in New York possibly give you an edge, from someone who worked at QVC prior to their move to Urban ... (and if you are from nyc be prepared to be cabbed out there as fast as you came in with the other 25 people they already met with that week)

Oh and they cancelled a whole round of interviews with the Anthropologie team and told me this the day I arrived.. booo. Urban I love your brands, but this expereicne has kept me out of your stores since >:

Interview Questions
    • They didn"t ask me questions... I was expected to ask them   Answer Question

Assistant Technical Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in January 2009.

Someone from HR pre-screened me via phone interview which lasted about 15 minutes. I was asked to supply referencesand asked for permission for them to be checked out. I approved and the next day one of my former co-workers received the "reference check" call. All went well and I was invited to come in for an interview 5 days later. All info was sent via e-mail in great detail ( who I was meeting with, the schedule for the day since I had to pass a skills test besides all other regular stuff) and detailed directions how to find teh home office. I first met with the Talent aquisition manager - we exchanged a few friendly words and then went into the basic interview questions ( why do you want to work for us, tell me about yourself etc), then came the aptittude test ( I felt like this was something to just keep me busy for about 30 minutes but I took my time and saw it as another challenge to show that I don't rush into things), then I was escorted to the next building for the skills test. I met the Department manager ( she was very open, friendly and welcoming) and made me feel at ease; she explained what the test was about and the steps involved with this in order to find out my strengths and for what categories I would be the best fit. The test itself was long and felt complicated but it is beneficial for the company as well as the interviewee - this shows if both are a good match.At the end I exchanged questions and answers with the department manager ( once again very supportive and open) and at the end of the day ( approx. 4pm) we finished and I was escorted back to the general area; I had a chance to verify names and contact adresses of people that had been present during the test and said my goodbyes. 2 days later I was contacted by the HR manager with the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were basic interview questions that can be answered if one takes the time to research the company as well as know's ones own skill set and experience.   Answer Question
    Once I received the offer I reviewed the compensation and found that it was too low so I counter offered and was told that Urban would meet me in the "middle" but that there was no more room for negotiations and that I had to quit my current job immedaitely and start in 2 weeks if I wanted to keep the offer intact. I saw the opportunity to work at Urban as a great improvement and with room for personal advancement over the current job and accepted.

Merchandise Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2009.

HR at this company is really disorganized. One has to stay on top of them to keep the process going. They never call or communicate as promised and then when they call you it's a last minute scramble to adjust to their schedule. After the first interview I was told that there would be a second. I then waited weeks to be called back. This was the MO for the whole process, it was draining and very disheartening.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think you can contribute to Urban?   Answer Question
    • Can you please give us three different looks or moods for the FREE PEOPLE girl.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, they have so many candidates to fill their positions, that you are made to feel lucky to be offered a job within the company. They are most young fashion or merchandise college grads dream job, but the reality of dealing with them was not glamorous or professional.

Sales Associate Interview

I went in to shop for clothes and asked if they were hiring. The manager told me to apply online and they would be in contact with me. I had to go back to the store a week later to check on the status of my application, where I was told to come back the next day for a group interview. I came back for the group interview and they told me they would keep in touch.

I believe they called me back for a 1:1 interview with the manager. I then was asked to take a personality test and they would call me with my results. I took the test that day and was called later that night to be told I passed the test and they would keep in touch. Within a week later they called me back to ask for my references (they lost my application) and within minutes of them calling my previous employer, I was offered a seasonal job. After I completed my season, they asked me to stay for a full year job.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate with them because I was happy with any salary, but Im sure they would be more than welcome to have a negotiation.

Print Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in March 2011.

Phone with recruiters, Skype or personal interview with the team, a manger often gives candidates a projects.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in January 2013.

The interviewers seemed nice, but somewhat shallow and fake. The interview was relaxed, but I couldn't really relax, since there were so many people and the interviewers didn't really seem to care about what I had to say, although I was dressed in the type of clothes they sell at UO. Maybe it's because I'm in high school? I don't know..

Urban Merchant Leadership Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Applied online at URBN careers as well as through my schools career resource center. After a few days I received a call from HR for a short informational interview and then met with recruiters on campus for a first interview. First interview was more informational and was trying to get to know me as a candidate. After the first interview I was moved on to do a second video interview where you are asked questions and have to record your answers. I moved on from the second interview to the third interview in Philadelphia. For the third interview they fly you out to UO's Home Office for two days with the other URBN MLP candidates. Throughout this time you have three interviews with different departments at UO.

Interview Questions
    • You are asked to merchandise a collection of clothing and rate it based off of substantial reasoning.   Answer Question