Urban Outfitters

Updated Nov 17, 2014
Updated Nov 17, 2014

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in October 2014.

Applied online. Nine days later got asked to do a video interview. About a week later I got asked to do a survey, but I didn't have to take it because I filled it out less than sixth months ago for another urban job I applied to, but on the same day I got asked to come to a group interview. There were five of us there (two guys three girls). It was super quick; they asked us like two questions and then just described the position. Four days later I checked my online status and it said "will consider for future opportunities" and I assumed that was a rejection because I had seen that before for other urban jobs I applied to before. BUT four days after that I got a call asking me if I wanted to join the team!! Good things come to those who wait.

Interview Questions
    • Did you ever have a problem with a customer from a previous job, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    Check your email often, even junk mail.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA

I applied online – interviewed at Urban Outfitters in October 2014.

I applied online after a friend sent me the link to the application website. They contacted me 2-3 weeks later and informed me that my interview would be on the 1st of October. I arrived as early as possible and had a short wait for my interview. Joannah interviewed me and informed me that 2 things are important at the URBN call center: 1) arrive on time/ show up and 2) be NICE to our customers. That's it. It doesn't matter what you look like or how you choose to set up your work space. She then asked me why I liked the company and if I knew anything about Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, Free People, Without Walls, BHLDN, and Terrain. I informed her of what I knew (DO YOUR RESEARCH, PEOPLE-- it makes you stand out at any interview). We then discussed my work history and education. I recently completed my bachelors degree and my brief stint as a customer service rep helped me stand out. Honestly, though, even if you didn't have relevant education/work experience, as long as you have a positive attitude (smiling and dressing as nice as you can for a casual interview) and knew something about the company you were more than likely to be hired. At the end of the interview, I was told that I would start training on the 20th and that my seasonal pay would be $9 an hour [with .50 cents for every hour in case I am not hired full time in mid-January]. I was then told I should receive an e-mail with final details to fill out. I did not receive that e-mail 3 days later, so I wrote Scott (the other employee in charge of hiring) and he sent me the link. I then started training on the 20th. (Note: The only down side of training was that they did not tell us how to handle "creeper calls." They are thorough with training-- lasting 7 days-- but because they did not tell us that we could transfer those calls, I was stuck on the phone with someone who made me feel uncomfortable for THREE hours and missed my first break and part of my lunch. [We are told NEVER to hang up on anyone, so that's why I did not hang up.I did not want to be fired.] The Quality Assurance representative, Casey, watched me take this call and waited a good while until saying, "You do realize he's getting off to the sound of your voice, right?" Her comment made me feel naive and stupid because I didn't realize that's what the customer was doing and the way she said it was rude and with a know-it-all attitude. I am still waiting on my apology from the company for that incident. Other than that, so far, so good at my new job.)

Interview Questions
    • N/A -- I knew about the company and I was happy to discuss my background in school & work   Answer Question

Sales Associate (Seasonal) Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in October 2014.

I went to a UO job fair on Thursday. They ask very simple question like "if you could be a female rap artist who would it be and why?" And "if you see one of your employees stealing what would you do and who would you report it too?"..I felt very comfortable and confident when i answer the question.
    On Friday i got email saying to do a video interview and it was very dope and laid back. (i recommend you to practice the sample interview questions before you actual do your real video interview).
    I done it then then 2 days later on Monday i recieve email sayin to do a Opinion survey but i have done it already. Next day the manager call me offering a JOB. I WAS SOO EXCITING..

Interview Questions
    the manager offer me $9/hr and i was happy with it the fact that it is my first job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in October 2014.

I was notified that there was a job fair at several UO locations in Georgia. I went up there with a friend and we got placed in a group of three other people. Two people interviewed us and it was very laid back. I hadn't applied alone yet so I did that once I got home. I was sent an email to do a survey which was easy as well. I received an email to come and meet with the manager for a one-on-one interview. It was a breeze and three days later I received an offer.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation especially since I am seasonal.

Sales Associate Interview

sent in application got a call about a week later asking me to come in for an interview. pretty standard group interview. went around in a circle and answered basic questions. after the interview they gave us a card to fill out online asking more questions. got a call back offering me the job a few days later.

Sales Associate Interview

Online interview was odd because you don't talk to anyone but it was easy and quick. In-person, group interview was very relaxed. Questions range from favorite music to what designers you would by with unlimited money.

No negotiation phase.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online and they called me the next day for a group interview.. The group interview was a little overwhelming because there were about 10 or so people and they were more group interviews scheduled that day... They asked questions like "Whats your style?" and "what are your passions in life?"

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in September 2014.

I applied online and then about a 2 days later they sent me an email to do a video interview. It was unexpected but kind of fun. Then about 4 days later I completed there survey. Then I got an email 2 day later about a group interview. The date on the interview was wrong, it said Wednesday 9/9 instead of Wednesday 9/10.If I didn't see the email I wouldn't have made it, because they sent it the day before one the 9th. The interview was okay, the manager didn't have any information about use. So mentally I'm thinking how can you hire two people when you don't have any of their information. Nor did she ask for our information afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • One the video interview they asked me to draw a picture representing myself and that threw me off because you only have a certain amount of time to prepare for the video and then shoot it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied in-person – interviewed at Urban Outfitters in September 2014.

I went in on the weekend for shopping. When I got to the register I was looking at the "Do you want to work for us" flyers. Little did I know, the manager was the one checking me out at the register and asked if I was interested in working there. I had previously put in an online application about a month earlier. She asked my name and looked me up. She emailed me with the video interview process and a day or so afterwards I went in for the face to face interview. Within a week, I was hired. The video interview was super cool and you will need a webcam for it to record yourself answering random questions they give you. Fun! I love my new job. I have been there for about 3 weeks. Easy job!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in September 2014.

They first had me fill out the general information and also asked for a resume, standard protocol. About two days later, I got an email stating that they wanted a video interview. In the video interview, they ask five questions and you have to answer them on the spot. This is where you want to shine, and try to be different than the other candidates for the job. The questions aren't hard, some of them are pretty fun! (for example, they ask you to draw three things and explain why you drew them). If they liked your video interview, then they will request an actual interview with the store manager. Usually it is a group interview, but I got a one-on-one interview which I thought went really well. The manager told me that I would hear from them in upcoming week. Two days later, I received an email stating that I needed to answer their ethics quiz. the quiz is about 78 questions and they ask you about specific scenarios and whether you agree or disagree on the action that was taken. Really easy, just use your common sense. About three days after the quiz, I received another email stating that they wanted a second interview, which I will be going to tomorrow. The most important trick is to be yourself and to not try so hard to be someone you're not. Answer the questions honestly and if they think you're the right fit, you'll get the job!!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when something didn't go your way and how you adjusted to the circumstances?   Answer Question

I didn't decline, I haven't had my second interview yet