Urban Outfitters Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

2.2

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters (San Diego, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online, waited about 3 weeks for a response, called in for interview, was told to come in with what i would wear for my first day of work, went to the location and was one on one in break room, very comfortable environment and felt as if i were talking to long time friend.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview

Like most people who have reviewed, I applied for the position online. It took about two weeks until I received an e-mail inviting me out for a group interview.

The group I was part of was relatively small (4 people, myself included) and we were each given a mini questionnaire to fill out with simple topic questions like "Tell us a random/interesting fact about yourself" and "What is your spirit animal?" We each took turns reading our responses to the questions to get to know each other, and then the interviewer posed more questions that anyone could jump in and answer.

Overall, the interview was very laid-back and more conversational than anything. The questions weren't anything difficult or unexpected, and the interviewer was very drawn to those who were outgoing and friendly. I definitely had my doubts about landing the position because I have zero prior work experience, let alone retail experience. However, I tried my best to put myself out there as someone who is friendly, easy to get along with, and hard-working. After the interview, we were e-mailed a simple ethics survey to fill out. Two days later I was offered the job!

Interview Questions

• What do you think makes for a good work environment?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you had to overcome a difficult problem/obstacle in your life.   Answer Question

Sales Associate (Seasonal) Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview

Applied online and was asked to go in for a group interview. Group interview was pretty chill. I received an email a few days later asking me to do a video interview. The video interview was a little hard and frustrating since you're being timed and only given a few minutes to answer a question.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you have given or have received great customer service   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview

Group interview - they sat us down in a circle with 6 other people and asked a series of general sales associate related questions. These ranged from how important is it to know the products, how one would deal with a difficult customer over the phone, when is it acceptable to call your manager, etc. It is important to answer early as everyone answers in a circle, so it's easy for answers to be repeated. Saying something original early is the easiest way to get noticed.

Interview Questions

• If you were helping a customer find a pair of shoes and another customer asked to you help them with another project, what would you do/ how would you prioritize the needs?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview

I applied through an online application. (I don't think UO does paper applications at all anymore) and a week later received an email asking me to complete a video interview through Hirevue. You record your answers to the questions and it was super laid-back. They asked questions like what was the last time I received challenging feedback and they asked me to draw a picture that represents me, my style, or just anything about me. Then about a week later I received another email asking me to complete an ethics survey. It asks really obvious questions like "Do you think it's ok to get high before work" and stuff like that. Make sure you take your time doing this because I messed up and answered a question wrong and I really thought it ruined my chances. I got an email a couples days later saying that UO wasn't going to be moving forward with my application. However, about two weeks later I got another email asking me to attend a group interview a few days later. When I got to the store, everyone was really nice and there was three other people in my group. Although it's not all UO cares about, they are looking for stylish people so dress like you would if you worked there! From what I saw, there wasn't any other groups there at the time. The interview was again, really laid-back. We took turns asking questions like, "What is you dream job?" and "When is the last time you experienced great customer service?". It seemed like they were just looking for people with an out-going personality and who would work hard and enjoy it while they're doing it. I was just myself and although I have no retail experience I felt it went really good! It lasted about 30 minutes and then we were told we'd here back by the end of the week. The next day I got a call and was offered a position as a sales associate :)

Interview Questions

• Nothing really unexpected! Pretty standard questions about customer service and personality.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation phase. I really wanted the job and with no retail experience, I was just happy I got an offer.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview

Initially I had a phone interview, then came in for face to face interviews with 6 different people. One of the interviews I had to do some math questions, based off of one of the tasks I'd be doing in the role. After I passed that round, I was given a project to create, with minimal instruction, to later present to the same 6 people. I did have a lot of questions and, my soon to be boss, was very helpful in answering and helping me feel comfortable with what was being asked. The people were very nice and thankfully I got the job!

Interview Questions

• What would you change about our email marketing and why?   Answer Question

Sales Associate (Seasonal) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied to about 12 URBN locations. Got a good amount of emails back to either take an online survey or do a video interview (which is about 5 minutes long). During the video interview, they will ask you to draw something that relates to you (only giving you 3 minutes, so be prepared! This is always unexpected for most people.) They'll also ask you about a time you faced hardship or criticism at work or school, and what item you can't live without. It's about 4 questions all together. After the video interview, you'll receive a survey if it wasn't already given to you. After doing about 6 video interviews, I received an email back to attend a job fair. Turns out that there were two URBN locations doing a job fair the same day so I attended both to widen my chances. First interview was a one-on-one interview. I was the last to interview that day so it was quick and average. Neither great, nor bad. Interview included questions like:

1. Why do you want to work for UO?
    2. Style inspirations?
    3. Any questions for us?

They'll always ask you if you have questions. You should always try to ask them at least one. It'll make you seem invested in the interview process and experience.

Second interview (which was the one I was invited to via email to attend) was very positive. It was a group interview with about 6 other people and the person interviewing us was very sweet, welcoming and had great energy. It was very laid back. We were asked questions about customer service, working at URBN, current trends, etc. This interviewer told us we would get an email within two weeks. During the first week waiting, I received two emails from two other URBN locations, one was a regular group interview, and the other was a final interview (for a location that I didn't do a group interview for, only a video... so I was sure they would hire me!) I went to the group interview first. That interview was with about 5 others and it was really laid back with good energy. Same questions, good/bad customer service, previous job experience, which animal is your spirit animal, any questions for us, etc. I was sitting close to the interviewer so I was called first every time. Don't be nervous, always be genuine and relax, it's a chill environment, but be courteous and professional as well. The next day I was offered the job from this location, so I didn't attend the final interview from the second location, but I did call them out of courtesy to let them know I had accepted an offer at another URBN store.

My tip is if you really want to work at URBN, don't be discouraged and apply to as many locations as possible!

Interview Questions

• None. All of them were predictable and familiar, especially since I did my research on URBN's interview process   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. I was offered $9.50/hr which is more than my previous job

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online through their website. A few days later, I checked the status of my application on the site and saw that no updates were made. I called the store and the store manager told me to fill out an online questionnaire. The questionnaire asked about my views on stealing, punctuality, work ethics, etc. The next day I received an email asking to come in for an interview the following day.

The interview was very casual and felt more like a conversation than interview. We sat on a couch while he asked who my fashion inspiration was, if I can handle angry customers, my work history, what I wanted to get out of this job.

At the end of the interview, he offered me the job and said there would be a 30-day trial period and would send over paperwork so I could start.

Sales Associate (Seasonal) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online using their website. All you have to do is upload a resume, give them some basic info and answer some questions about your personal style, what defines customer service to you, and why you're applying to Urban. Very simple and painless, just answer it honestly and be yourself. Three days later I received an email inviting me to an open interview in a few days. When I got to the interview I was asked to wait a few minutes for them to get a group of us together. I made sure coming into the interview I was dressed like I already worked there! After walking around a little I was introduced to my interviewer and the other girl I would be interviewing with and we sat outside the store. Really relaxed interview. Try your best not to talk about the clothes or the discount as why you want to work there, do a little research about the company and other projects they're involved in to get a better idea of the company culture. The interview was only 15 minutes and the questions were pretty general: why you want to work for Urban, your customer service experience, your style inspiration... Nothing unexpected at all! After the interview I felt pretty good about it and the next day I was emailed a link to the survey. Just fill it out like your grandma is gonna read it. After that I waited another day and was then emailed an invite to a second interview with the store manager. Another really quick and painless interview. Try not to be too nervous and don't wear a suit or panty hose. Let your personality show, don't be so stiff and professional like you have to be at other interviews. If you're a fit for the company, it'll show. The questions at the 2nd interview were pretty basic, and then towards the end mostly about availability and scheduling. I walked out of that interview like 99% sure Id gotten the job. Three days later I was called with an offer!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negation. Pay was 9.25 an hour.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

it was pretty easy. video interview, questionnaire, then final interview.The company is really nice ands its a good first job. I'm still waiting on to hear back from uo but i have high hopes.