Urban Outfitters Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Outfitters (Baltimore, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process began when I applied online through their website, a resume was requires and the cover letter was optional but I did both to be on the safe side. Two days later, I recieved an email to do a video interview through hirevue. Literally took like 5 minutes and they gave you practice questions start. My three real questions were to draw myself and explain how that drawing represents my fashion, art and music taste. Second question was to describe a bad customer service experience and then the third question was to describe a time that I was faced w/ a challenge and how I dealt with that. Two days after that, I recieved an email to do an wthics quiz which is pretty straight forward, just use your common sense lol. After that I was asked to come in for a group inteeview a week later, the interview was laid back and chill, just be yourself and have some basic knowledge of the brand. That same day I was asked to come back for a 2 interview w/ the store manager which was one on one. Very intimidating but still pretty laidback. Im still waiting to here back from them! My 2nd interview was yesterday lol.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Urban Outfitters (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

First, I applied online for an available sales associate position and filled out everything including a resume and what not. A day later, I got an email inviting me to do the video interview where I was asked four different questions (no live person was interviewing me). Two days later, I got a survey just checking my work ethics like whether or not I considered smoking on the job acceptable. Afterwards, I got no confirmation email back, but got a phone call two days later from the hiring manager with whom I scheduled an interview. I didn't have to go through the group interview, and had a very chill one on one interview with the hiring manager. The next day, I got a call saying I was hired! I just had to fill out some forms in an email afterwards, but that was it.

Interview Questions

• To you, what is good customer service?   Answer Question
    • What makes you you? What are your hobbies and interests?   Answer Question
    • Why choose to apply for a job at UO?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you see a coworker who started working at the same time as you stealing?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Outfitters (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly easy. Firstly, you fill out the online application, it asks you a couple basic questions about yourself and your taste in clothing and music (understandable since they like people who can represent the brand). Next, there was a video interview (super easy to figure out, I promise). The app lets you run a couple practice questions first if you want so you can get the hang of it, which was super helpful. The questions appear at the top of the screen and you just press record and film yourself answering. The whole thing took around ten minutes tops. There were four questions all asking pretty basic things such as some past retail experiences you had with customers, and a little bit about yourself. Lastly, I was called in for a group interview. It was myself and three other people on the top floor of the store. The interviewer asked us each several questions about our interest in fashion and experiences while selling, as well as some other pretty basic questions. They tell you to dress casual, but trust me, you want to dress showing off your personal style and the UO brand. Aka: creative and kind of bohemian chic. After that the manager called me and I filled out a quick ethics survey (75 questions on safety, listening to management and drug use) and then was called in for orientation.

Interview Questions

• If you could have dinner with anyone from history, who would it be and why? What are two products you're really excited about right now and why. What fashion trends are you currently into that are trending.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Outfitters (Madison, WI) in June 2015.

Interview

It was a very long interview process, it took about 2-3 weeks for me to get an in person interview even though it wasn't a very serious job. I had to create a profile on their website, after about a week I received an email inviting me to do a video interview where I answered a couple randomized questions about my work experience and personally asking about me. (they strongly encourage you to be yourself and act outgoing, it was very laidback.) After that I got a call a week later to do an in person interview, they didn't actually ask any serious questions then they just asked me about myself and what I plan on doing in the future and then they offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• What's a word you would use to describe yourself and how would it be a good fit in UO?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Urban Outfitters (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and a few days later got invited to do an online video interview. The video interview was a little silly to do but easy and took five minutes. After I submitted that, I was sent a time survey to fill out, which was basically just asking if you are going to steal or smoke weed on the job. A few days later I was invited to a group interview, which was one of the easiest, laid back interviews I've ever been through. It's more like the just want to get to know you. They're more like personality questions, the most/only "interview"-y question they asked was "give us an example of a time you experienced good or bad customer service".

Interview Questions

• What would you do if we gave you $1000 right now? How would you spend it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Outfitters (Bloomington, MN) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online, went in for a group interview, they emailed me to come in for a second, final interview was with the store manager and he was awesome, a few days later I got the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Outfitters (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online (6/12) and received the ethics survey in the email 2 days later (6/14). After completing that, I got an email (6/18) inviting me to a group interview on June 24th at 12pm. The group interview was just with 2 other people, 3 including me. When I attended group interviews for Urban in the past, there were usually around 6-8 other people so this time it was more intimate. We spoke to the women's accessories manager and she asked us to introduce ourselves, why we want to work at Urban, who our fashion inspiration is/are, our past work experience, what good customer service is, and if we have any questions for her. It was very easy and casual; she just wanted to get to know us and our personalities. The group interview lasted around 15 minutes and when it was done, she told us she would get back to us about second interviews by 4pm. I got an email at around 2pm requesting a second interview and my scheduled interview time. My second interview was scheduled for June 26th at 3pm. The second interview was a one-on-one with the men's manager. I felt like it was easier to talk one-on-one and it was so easy to get along with him. We just chatted and the whole interview was very similar to the group interview. Again, they just want to get to know you and see how personable you are. He asked me one question to see how I would work if I was a sales associate and came up with a scenario that could happen. In the middle of the interview, he offered me the sales associate position and explained what the salary is and what the tasks are as a sales associate. He asked if I had any questions and then asked me to send an email with my daily availability. He told me that orientation is on June 28th and that would be my first day. Overall, the whole interview process was easy and it was so nice to be interviewed by such welcoming people.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2015.

Interview

I applied for an opening position on their website and it will ask you to create a profile where you can attach your resume and cover letter. Then you filled out three really short questions about your why you want to apply to UO, your ideal day, and availability. Two days after I received an email to complete a video interview. You basically records yourself at your own time and the video will be sent to the employer. There were practice questions. The real interview was timed (about 2-3 mins each) and there were four questions related to your work experience and fashion knowledge. It's really convenient because you don't have to finish all questions at once. This is just a first round and I don't know the result yet.

Interview Questions

• What are the new brands or product that you are the most excited about?   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was for a new store opening up in Georgia. It took approximately 3 months just to get an in person (open) interview that lasted less than twenty minutes. Highly unprofessional and the Manager doing the interviewing disclosed the fact they hadn't even signed a lease yet. How reassuring!

Interview Questions

• What do you do as store management to drive sales in your department?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2015.

Interview

This was a group interview with a total of 4 interviewees. There were 3 interviewers, which were the teams lead for each department. They asked us a series of about 8 questions and we each went down the line to answer the questions.