Urban Outfitters

Updated Nov 16, 2014

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I interviewed in 2011 for a location in a large mall. I think I submitted a resume in Jan and when everything was done, I think I started working in April.
    It was two rounds of in-person group interviews. The first was with two managers and probably a total of 6 interviewees. The second was down to me and another person with (I think) the regional manager at the time. No questions were particularly hard; it is full of behavioral/scenario questions. Of course emphasize the crap out of customer service and make sure to speak up for every question asked. Luckily my first group interview didn't feel to competitive trying to take turns speaking, but you never know...
    I feel that what secured my position was to really show them my personality in the 2nd interview. I think at one point I said something about how I'm goofy. They are looking for hard workers with good ethics and a fun personality that will get along with the rest of the team so make sure to let them know you're not a robot! After the 2nd interview, there was also an ethics survey you have to complete online to make sure you're not an idiot - pretty simple!

Interview Questions
    • Example of when you've dealt with a rude customer / co-worker, hard project, etc.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if:
      you saw a customer stealing
      you saw an employee stealing
      you didn't know an answer to something, etc. ..seriously easy peasy!
        Answer Question
    No negotiation of salary. You eventually get a raise. I got 'promoted' to cashier pretty quickly so my pay went up with that as well.

Sales Associate Interview

So, I went to a hiring fair where I talked to two team leaders and it was very relaxed. Easy questions like whose style inspires you? What music do you like? Etc. Then I waited for 3 weeks, thinking that they had not decided to contact me. Almost 4 weeks later they called me asking for 1 on 1 interview. This interview was the same with very easy questions, why uo? What do you like about our store? Then I asked about the wage and the manager told me that they hire part time sales associates who get minimum wage or they will hire you as a full time team leader and you could get upwards of $11 an hour. I have been working retail for three years, currently working for $13/hr, and asked if there was any room for me to make a bit more money. He said the only way I could was to work at min wage pt for three months and then apply for a team leader position. I was pretty disappointed. He asked for two references and contacted them. Called me a week later telling me I got the job, which I declined because I can't afford to work for min wage. The whole process took way too long and I think they are very unorganized. It's ridiculous that you have a flat rate of min wage for employees who genuinely like your product and are sales professionals.

Interview Questions

Wanted to pay minimum wage.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2014.

First I applied online. They asked pretty simple questions. Next they had me do a questionnaire with a few tricky questions. They called me in a couple of days later for an interview. It was about 5 of us.
    Some questions they asked were
    -Why do you want to work for Urban?
    -What celeb do you look to for fashion inspiration?
    -How do you deal with customers?
    -What was your experience before at your previous job?
    -If money was no object what would you buy at Urban?
    After that interview I got a call a week later asking for a second interview with the store manager. There were only 3 of us this time. She basically asked the same questions. Then I got a call the same day offering me the position for 8.45 and hour. I accepted.

non negotiable

Sales Associate Interview

I was reached by email to come in on a certain date for a group interview, and for the second interview was emailed then called. Well, the manager claimed she emailed us, but I didn't get anything. I ended up being called to come in literally a day before the interview. The process overall was laid back but it felt more like they were looking to fit an image rather than find good people.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online, received a email to take a video interview and a week later I received a phone call for a groups interview. The manager did not ask any questions, mostly engaging with us. Try to ask as many questions as possible to the managers so you can make an impression. Everyone filled out a background check form right after the interview. A week after the interview I received a job offer.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2014.

I have a friend who works in the call center and put in a good word for me with the hiring manager. She sent me a link to fill out an online application and a few days later I received an email with a date to come in for an interview.
    The actual job fair interview process was a little different than what I am used to. They told us to come any time between 9 and 12, but on a first come first served basis. I showed up a few minutes before 9 and there were about five other people waiting. They called us back one by one and interviewed us for about ten minutes.
    I received an email about a week later notifying me of my hire and further instructions (reading employee policies, filling out W-4, etc.). I can't wait to start!

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about yourself."
      Why this was a difficult question: It's the icebreaker question at every interview. I have been in countless job interviews and this one still manages to throw me for a loop.
        View Answer

1. Applied online
    2. Received an email the following day for an online video interview. They asked fun and quirky questions.
    3. Then received feedback to fill out a ethics questionnaire.
    4. Then received an email directly from the store that my application was impressive and would to schedule and in person interview.
    5. Interview in person was quick and easy.
    6. After they called both of my references, I received a call with an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Draw a picture of yourself and explain how it describes your likes and interests.   Answer Question

Too low of pay.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Group interview was really cool. Questions like, "if you were a borough, what borough would you be and why?" "what is good customer service vs. great customer service," "name an item in this store that you really want to buy," (they're just trying to ensure you are an actual customer of the store with that question) and other general retail stuff.

Interview Questions
    • If a thief came and stole something from the store so quickly, you had no time to react, what would you do?   View Answer
    They tried to give me $9.50 an hour but I told them that Banana Republic gave me $10.25 an hour so they compromised and are paying me $10 an hour.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Applied online, and about two days later received an e-mail asking to do an interview through an app called HireVue, which is where I messed up. It was honestly such a weird way of doing things, I wasn't used to it, and I just didn't feel comfortable using it. I would've rather did an in-person interview, but oh well. I interviewed through it, and did the best I could.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you received constructive criticism, and how you took it.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied a while ago to a different location and didnt get the job there but I saw that another location near me was hiring so I decided to apply there. A day later I got an email back asking me to do a video interview. It was a really fun experience, I loved the video interview. I felt comfortable doing it, mainly because I make youtube videos so Im fine with being in front of the camera. After doing the video interview I got an email a couple days later about a final interview that was two weeks away and I emailed back saying I would go. I had to fill out a background check form and bring it to the interview along with two professional references. I thought that was really weird how I went straight to a final interview since the last time I got a group interview and then a second interview. The interview was really laid-back, I felt comfortable and I was able to be myself and not be nervous at all. After the interview I waited a while to get a call from them, I haven't heard back in a little over a week so I decided to call and ask them about it, which was when I was offered the position since they just got my background check back that day and they were gonna call me later that day. I was offered the part-time position at $8.75 an hour which I dont mind at all since my last job paid me $8.60 and it took me a year to get it that high (i started at min wage $8.25) so starting at $8.75 was pretty good and plus I have a couple months of retail experience. For any employer I would definitely recommend calling them if you haven't heard back because it shows that you actually care and really want the job. Good luck! :)

Interview Questions
    • - Past job experience; school
      - What do you do in your free time?
      - Tell me about yourself
      - Availability
        Answer Question
    I was offered $8.75 but i didnt negotiate because it was more than i got paid at my old job