Urban Outfitters

Updated Dec 14, 2014
Updated Dec 14, 2014

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Group interview was really cool. Questions like, "if you were a borough, what borough would you be and why?" "what is good customer service vs. great customer service," "name an item in this store that you really want to buy," (they're just trying to ensure you are an actual customer of the store with that question) and other general retail stuff.

Interview Questions
    • If a thief came and stole something from the store so quickly, you had no time to react, what would you do?   View Answer
    They tried to give me $9.50 an hour but I told them that Banana Republic gave me $10.25 an hour so they compromised and are paying me $10 an hour.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Applied online, and about two days later received an e-mail asking to do an interview through an app called HireVue, which is where I messed up. It was honestly such a weird way of doing things, I wasn't used to it, and I just didn't feel comfortable using it. I would've rather did an in-person interview, but oh well. I interviewed through it, and did the best I could.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you received constructive criticism, and how you took it.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2014.

I applied a while ago to a different location and didnt get the job there but I saw that another location near me was hiring so I decided to apply there. A day later I got an email back asking me to do a video interview. It was a really fun experience, I loved the video interview. I felt comfortable doing it, mainly because I make youtube videos so Im fine with being in front of the camera. After doing the video interview I got an email a couple days later about a final interview that was two weeks away and I emailed back saying I would go. I had to fill out a background check form and bring it to the interview along with two professional references. I thought that was really weird how I went straight to a final interview since the last time I got a group interview and then a second interview. The interview was really laid-back, I felt comfortable and I was able to be myself and not be nervous at all. After the interview I waited a while to get a call from them, I haven't heard back in a little over a week so I decided to call and ask them about it, which was when I was offered the position since they just got my background check back that day and they were gonna call me later that day. I was offered the part-time position at $8.75 an hour which I dont mind at all since my last job paid me $8.60 and it took me a year to get it that high (i started at min wage $8.25) so starting at $8.75 was pretty good and plus I have a couple months of retail experience. For any employer I would definitely recommend calling them if you haven't heard back because it shows that you actually care and really want the job. Good luck! :)

Interview Questions
    • - Past job experience; school
      - What do you do in your free time?
      - Tell me about yourself
      - Availability

Answer Question
    I was offered $8.75 but i didnt negotiate because it was more than i got paid at my old job

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online. They were impressed with my resume and contacted me via email for a mass interview day. The day of the interview, when my name was called I had an one on one interview with one of the managers. She was very nice, bubbly and laid back. She asked a little info about me and gave a brief description on what kind of work I would be doing. Then she asked if I was still interested and told me when to come back to start training.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online, maybe two weeks later received notification that I would participate in an online interview. This is intended to make you feel comfortable and truly express who you are without the nerves. The first thing in the video interview was to run and grab paper and draw a picture. Some other questions were to describe your style and taste in music, some job history and education history (where you went - high schools, colleges, etc.). The final question was what is one item you can't live without - be creative and have fun with this one. All questions have a time limit so you to ramble on. A day after I was given an ethics test. Less than a week after that I scheduled a time for a group interview. I wore wide leg fabric pants in a tribal pattern with a simple top and wedges. Try to wear something daring and trending - aka kimono, dressed up romper, something to show you have that out of the box style. Don't get worked up about it or you'll be nervous and have artificial answers. After the interview I had to tell the interviewee I would only be able to work for a month before I moved. He said they were rooting for me to do well and was disappointed by this news. Basically I would've very likely been hired otherwise.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you were given excellent customer service   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online on a Wednesday and the application process is pretty straightforward. Just make sure to answer the short answer questions in a manner that makes you seem appealing to UO culture. The following Monday I received an email link to an ethics survey which is easy enough to complete as long as you use common sense and read carefully. A couple hours after I submitted the survey, I received an email inviting me to a group interview in 2 days. I accepted the invitation but I was nervous about the group setting and my absence of retail experience. At my interview, it was just myself and one other applicant. I thought that we both looked the part. Although I was soo nervous, I answered all the questions with wit and honesty and kept my calm. I would recommend reading the other interview questions posted on this site so you know what to expect. After the interview I wasn't feeling particularly confident because the other candidate had previous retail experience and was very personable. The manager who executed the interview was really nice and easygoing, which took the pressure off the interview. At noon the next day I received a call from the manager offering me a position. All in all, be confident with your answers, don't be repetitive, and make yourself stand out from the applicants!

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate given that this was my first retail position and I was happy with the offered wage anyway. I received about 20 cents above minimum wage.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and received a call shortly after to come in to the store for an interview. I interviewed with one of the assistant managers and was asked about my past retail experience, hobbies, and interest in Urban.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any difficult questions. They were all pretty basic and straight forward.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

I applied online once and didn't hear back. I resubmitted my application again about 3 weeks later and I got an email calling me in for a group interview during their job fair day the following week. I went in with 4 other people in the break room and was interviewed by the women's department team leader. The questions were pretty standard and I did a lot of research beforehand so I felt fairly prepared. Everything talked about their experience and everyone had worked in retail previously. I had no retail experience which intimidated me but I showed an eagerness to learn and work. The interview was planned to be about 30 minutes but it was really closer to an hour because everyone was given a chance to talk. We were asked questions about the store (what's good customer service, how would you approach a shoplifter, why do you want to work at urban, etc.) and then questions about our personality (who would be your alter ego, what makes you you/your favorite hobbies, what inspires you.) Afterwards, she let everyone go and told me and another guy to stay back. She told us we were good to move on to the next round, which was a meeting with the store manager. Plot twist, the second interview was going to be in 25 minutes. The interview with the manager was really easy and didn't even feel like an interview. Most of it was just us (me, the guy from my interview, and 2 guys from another interview) getting to him as a person and his background. We spent a lot of time (almost 1.5 hours) just chatting and then he told us at that point we had already received the positions. He was just trying to get a feel for us as people.

The overall process was a bit nerve-wracking for me personally, because I had no retail experience going in and only one job beforehand. However, they told me they were attracted to my positive energy so this is a PSA to people without experience like me: It's not all about experience so don't let your lack of it discourage you! Stay positive. Be eager to learn!

Interview Questions
    • Why Urban Outfitters? Who would be your alter ego? How would you handle a shoplifter? What do you do to keep you inspired?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Its a very simple group interview with all the different managers of the store. My interview consisted of about 6 other people. They ask you random/silly questions and you simply raise your hand or speak up to answers. My advice is to be clever and the first one to answer them. Its not that difficult.

Interview Questions
    • If you could eat dinner with someone (dead or alive) who would it be? (Super random right?)   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I had a group interview with about 5 people, and they (the hiring manager and the women's accessory manager) took us to a restaurant across the street because there wasn't enough space in the store for us. They asked us a series of questions and we went around the table and each got to answer them. Only three of the questions they asked were relevant to the actual job. I got a phone call a week later with an offer to work with them for $8/hr.

Interview Questions
    • There was honestly nothing difficult or unexpected from the interview questions. The ones that were relevant to the position were the usual "tell me about a time you took a leadership position in something" to "how did you deal with a difficult customer or co-worker." They asked a bunch of unrelated questions as well, such as what your favorite trend was and what 3-5 bands you would put together for a music festival.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate; the pay was $8/hr.