Urban Outfitters Sales Assistant Interview Questions

Updated May 13, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Urban Outfitters (Philadelphia, PA) in November 2010.

Interview

Overall the interview was very very laid back. Luckily I had really nice interviewers who were very hipsterish. dressed extremely casual. in the end i got asked to stay with another girl and we were given slips with a link to a quiz/ personality survey where most of the questions were drug and alcohol related. waited 2 weeks but never got a call back

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Urban Outfitters

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Outfitters (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online, received an email a few days later inviting me to attend a group interview at the store. I showed up 20 minutes early but even so there were around 30 people who were applying for the same position already there which was very intimidating. We were all asked to fill out an availability form before being split into groups of 8 and given the task of creating two outfits out of newspaper and sellotape, using a boy and a girl from our group as models. This was sort of hard to get everyone involved in as some people assert themselves more than others but we managed to pull something together (it was pretty terrible). Then each group had to present their two models and say a bit about their design which again not everyone got to be involved in, pretty much down to the fact that there were so many of us. Afterwards our same groups were taken to different areas of the store with 2 members of staff to be asked some actual interview questions. It was a really informal, casual atmosphere, I found it a little irritating that not only were we being interviewed in groups of 8 but the ones carrying it out were random teenage sales assistants from the store who had no clue how to conduct an interview. We had a list of questions to get through which needed answers from all 8 of us so if your name was picked last to answer, which I was 2 out of 3 times, then it was difficult to come up with something that hadn't already been said and would stand out. The first was 'Give an example of a time where you gave or received excellent customer service', to which everyone gave pretty similar answers. One girl in our group knew the two interviews personally and literally all the attention went towards her which was plain unfair and unprofessional, also weirdly our seats were laid out one behind the other so you couldn't see anyone behind this girl and it felt pointless being there after a while. The interviewers talked way to much (irrelevant bull) between questions so before we had got round everyone for the first question, the other members of staff that had interviewed the other groups came over to tell us that they were done, therefore the rest of our interview became a joke to our two staff members as they basically implied that they weren't going to listen to our answers and to make it short. The second question was 'Why do you want to work here?', again, answers were samey and brief. As they basically ushered us downstairs they finally asked 'In one word what is currently on trend?' to which no one had a decent answer because what kind of question is that. We all regrouped down stairs and were thanked for coming and asked if we had any questions etc, of all the 30ish people I was the only one with questions which was the most awkward thing ever.They said finally that they would call us regardless of whether we got the job by the end of the week. I didn't even receive a courtesy phone call which puts the cherry on the cake. Over all just a bad experience.

Interview Questions

• In one word, what is currently on trend?   1 Answer

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Urban Outfitters (London, England (UK)) in May 2014.

Interview

I left my CV in the store near Oxford Circus and received a call with an invitation to come in for a group interview. I was asked to bring something that would tell something about me and come up with 4-5 sentences why I chose this particular thing. None of us in the group was actually asked about the thing we have brought - some people have taken huge sketchbooks just for nothing.

Interview Questions

• What would you take to a lonely island with you and why?   3 Answers

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Urban Outfitters (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in June 2013.

Interview

Received an email saying I had an interview at UO 2 days before the interview. Was v excited as at the time it was my favourite shop ad always loved going in. Email said to bring in an item I felt described me, and be prepared to talk about it for at least 5 minutes. Turned up to interview, was situated on the shop floor whilst customers were in and it was a group interview - i wasnt informed of that in the email so instantly felt intimidated. Felt like the other candidates kept going on about their experience with art and their "art degrees" yet had no retail experience at all - i think it was more a personality test rather than an interview for a sales job - very disappointed at the way UO select staff. Didnt hear anything back from them at all.

Interview Questions

• Describe in one word what you could bring to Urban Outfitters if you worked here?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Interview

The interview process is very similar to other companies. Basically an introduction of yourself, then behavioral questions, and some technical questions. The interviewer was very nice and generous about the answers I gave them. I would say just be more confident and practice most of the general questions before going in the interview.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Urban Outfitters (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in September 2010.

Interview

It was a really fun interview , I felt really comfortable the interviewer was really nice , they ask general questions like ''why you want to work at UO?'' , what is for you a bad and a good costumer service? what fashion icon or person inspires you the most ? and the last and more surprising question was : what is your favorite book , I was really happy with that questions becuase i'm a person that read a lot so I was really sure about my response , at the end of the interview they give us a link to go on internet and make a test around 15 min long , I'm still waiting for a call but it's been 5 days since the interview so i'm not worried!

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Urban Outfitters (London, England (UK)) in March 2009.

Interview

Gave in my CV to one of the managers and after scanning my resume, they instantly told me there was a group interview the next day. The interview consisted of 2 interviewers and 5 prospective candidates for a few positions within the store.