Urban Outfitters Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.2

310 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in September 2014.

I applied online and then about a 2 days later they sent me an email to do a video interview. It was unexpected but kind of fun. Then about 4 days later I completed there survey. Then I got an email 2 day later about a group interview. The date on the interview was wrong, it said Wednesday 9/9 instead of Wednesday 9/10.If I didn't see the email I wouldn't have made it, because they sent it the day before one the 9th. The interview was okay, the manager didn't have any information about use. So mentally I'm thinking how can you hire two people when you don't have any of their information. Nor did she ask for our information afterwards.

Interview Questions
  • One the video interview they asked me to draw a picture representing myself and that threw me off because you only have a certain amount of time to prepare for the video and then shoot it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Urban Outfitters

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in April 2012.

Hiring occurs now through their online database, but previously you applied either online or in store and then were called in for an interview depending on job openings. Interviews happened in stages, and usually only happened seasonally (before Black Friday or before summer). The first interview was a preliminary group interview meant to weed out people who didn't seem outgoing or didn't take initiative.

Questions were presented to the entire group and it was up to each individual to respond. People who answered promptly were often given higher consideration than those who went towards the end. Of course, each answer was also taken into consideration, but the main purpose is whether or not you are quick to respond--just as you would to a customer--or if you appear timid, which would not be conducive to a sales environment.

If you passed the first interview, you were given a code to take a personality test. If you failed this test, you wouldn't be called in for a second interview. The second interview was similar to the first and usually consisted of the same questions i.e. how would you classify your style, how would you describe the Urban brand, what is your biggest weakness, etc. This one was dependent on the number of applicants--the less applicants there were, the more likely you would be hired after the first interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would you consider your biggest achievement within a work environment and why?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Online interview was odd because you don't talk to anyone but it was easy and quick. In-person, group interview was very relaxed. Questions range from favorite music to what designers you would by with unlimited money.

No negotiation phase.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2014.

First I applied online. They asked pretty simple questions. Next they had me do a questionnaire with a few tricky questions. They called me in a couple of days later for an interview. It was about 5 of us.
    Some questions they asked were
    -Why do you want to work for Urban?
    -What celeb do you look to for fashion inspiration?
    -How do you deal with customers?
    -What was your experience before at your previous job?
    -If money was no object what would you buy at Urban?
    After that interview I got a call a week later asking for a second interview with the store manager. There were only 3 of us this time. She basically asked the same questions. Then I got a call the same day offering me the position for 8.45 and hour. I accepted.

non negotiable

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2014.

I applied a while ago to a different location and didnt get the job there but I saw that another location near me was hiring so I decided to apply there. A day later I got an email back asking me to do a video interview. It was a really fun experience, I loved the video interview. I felt comfortable doing it, mainly because I make youtube videos so Im fine with being in front of the camera. After doing the video interview I got an email a couple days later about a final interview that was two weeks away and I emailed back saying I would go. I had to fill out a background check form and bring it to the interview along with two professional references. I thought that was really weird how I went straight to a final interview since the last time I got a group interview and then a second interview. The interview was really laid-back, I felt comfortable and I was able to be myself and not be nervous at all. After the interview I waited a while to get a call from them, I haven't heard back in a little over a week so I decided to call and ask them about it, which was when I was offered the position since they just got my background check back that day and they were gonna call me later that day. I was offered the part-time position at $8.75 an hour which I dont mind at all since my last job paid me $8.60 and it took me a year to get it that high (i started at min wage $8.25) so starting at $8.75 was pretty good and plus I have a couple months of retail experience. For any employer I would definitely recommend calling them if you haven't heard back because it shows that you actually care and really want the job. Good luck! :)

Interview Questions
    • - Past job experience; school
      - What do you do in your free time?
      - Tell me about yourself
      - Availability
        Answer Question
    I was offered $8.75 but i didnt negotiate because it was more than i got paid at my old job

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online and they called me the next day for a group interview.. The group interview was a little overwhelming because there were about 10 or so people and they were more group interviews scheduled that day... They asked questions like "Whats your style?" and "what are your passions in life?"

1. Applied online
    2. Received an email the following day for an online video interview. They asked fun and quirky questions.
    3. Then received feedback to fill out a ethics questionnaire.
    4. Then received an email directly from the store that my application was impressive and would to schedule and in person interview.
    5. Interview in person was quick and easy.
    6. After they called both of my references, I received a call with an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Draw a picture of yourself and explain how it describes your likes and interests.   Answer Question

Too low of pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I interviewed in 2011 for a location in a large mall. I think I submitted a resume in Jan and when everything was done, I think I started working in April.
    It was two rounds of in-person group interviews. The first was with two managers and probably a total of 6 interviewees. The second was down to me and another person with (I think) the regional manager at the time. No questions were particularly hard; it is full of behavioral/scenario questions. Of course emphasize the crap out of customer service and make sure to speak up for every question asked. Luckily my first group interview didn't feel to competitive trying to take turns speaking, but you never know...
    I feel that what secured my position was to really show them my personality in the 2nd interview. I think at one point I said something about how I'm goofy. They are looking for hard workers with good ethics and a fun personality that will get along with the rest of the team so make sure to let them know you're not a robot! After the 2nd interview, there was also an ethics survey you have to complete online to make sure you're not an idiot - pretty simple!

Interview Questions
    • Example of when you've dealt with a rude customer / co-worker, hard project, etc.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if:
      you saw a customer stealing
      you saw an employee stealing
      you didn't know an answer to something, etc. ..seriously easy peasy!
        Answer Question
    No negotiation of salary. You eventually get a raise. I got 'promoted' to cashier pretty quickly so my pay went up with that as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in April 2014.

Applied online because a new location in 34th street was opening. Got a email back a couple days later about a group interview. Went to the interview my group was the last one of the day, it was group interview it was like 6 of us and the stock manager. He asked us all about ourselves, what we liked to do, what school we go to, our previous work experience. He also asked us which department would we see ourselves in and why urban outfiitters and why should he hire us. Pretty easy questions we were all pretty chill and it felt more like a conversation then a interview. Waited a couple weeks, didn't hear back for a while. Then randomly got a phone call from the general manager, she offered me $ 10 an hour. I accepted and they told me i would be getting a email about orientation and i started a few weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Why us out of everyone getting interviewed.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

So, I went to a hiring fair where I talked to two team leaders and it was very relaxed. Easy questions like whose style inspires you? What music do you like? Etc. Then I waited for 3 weeks, thinking that they had not decided to contact me. Almost 4 weeks later they called me asking for 1 on 1 interview. This interview was the same with very easy questions, why uo? What do you like about our store? Then I asked about the wage and the manager told me that they hire part time sales associates who get minimum wage or they will hire you as a full time team leader and you could get upwards of $11 an hour. I have been working retail for three years, currently working for $13/hr, and asked if there was any room for me to make a bit more money. He said the only way I could was to work at min wage pt for three months and then apply for a team leader position. I was pretty disappointed. He asked for two references and contacted them. Called me a week later telling me I got the job, which I declined because I can't afford to work for min wage. The whole process took way too long and I think they are very unorganized. It's ridiculous that you have a flat rate of min wage for employees who genuinely like your product and are sales professionals.

Interview Questions

Wanted to pay minimum wage.

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!