Urban Outfitters

Getting the Interview

244 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Urban Outfitters

Interview Details – I applied online. They emailed me 2 weeks later scheduling an interview and to also take a survey. I went to a group interview. Then 1 week later I got a second email scheduling a second interview. This time it was one on one with the store manager. A few days later I got a call saying I got the job.

Interview Question – There weren't really any difficult questions. It was basically a personality test.   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Process took about 2 weeks. Straight forward group interview. About 6-7 people. Asked about knowledge of UO, personal style & behavioral questions. 20 minute interview.

Interview Question – None. Everything asked was pretty much straight forward you just have to think on your toes.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in October 2012.

Interview Details – You are invited to a group interview, in which they will take turns questioning the group in general. The vibe of the interview is very relaxed and comfortable. Each person is given an ample amount of time to respond, and all of the questions being asked are for the most part atypical of the average retail interview. The added people around you help to take the pressure off the review and can play an important role in allowing you to shine.

Interview Question – - What would you do if the EAS goes off?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, was contacted through the phone

Very Easy Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in January 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for the job in January of 2010 via an online application. It took them a while for the store to call - to be honest I had forgotten that I'd applied. Anyway, arranging the interview was very straightforward - I got a call from the SM, he told me the date of the interview and I just had to confirm. I only did one interview - group - though I've heard that there are two interviews now? Anyway, the interview was pretty straightforward and laid back. A lot of questions from the application "why do you want to work here" "who are your style icons" "what can you bring to the team" etc. Got a call about a week later that they wanted to hire me.

Interview Question – As stated, most of the questions are pretty easy though the guy I interviewed with asked "When were you last late for work, why, and what did you do." I told him that I'd overslept, noticed the time, threw on the nearest article of clothing and ran to the train, calling my boss in the process. Basically they don't want you to say "I had a thing and just didn't call" etc you know don't be a dummy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No opportunity to negotiate

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and about a week later received an email asking me to take the orion survey. About 2 days after that I received an email asking me to come in for a group interview on one of two dates. I went to the interview and it was me and 2 other people. We went into the break room with a team lead I believe and were asked questions about past experience, customer service, working in groups. loss prevention, fashion trends, and a few get to know you questions. Overall, it lasted about an hour. I think I did alright, but I felt like the other 2 people may have done a little better. Nevertheless, I received an email the next day asking me to come in for a one-on-one interview with the manager. This interview was much shorter and I was again asked about my experience, why I wanted to work there, loss prevention, and availability. I felt like I did really well, I talked about how I liked the emphasis urban puts on music and art, and talked about how I was into electronic music. The manager actually liked the same kind of music and was telling me how she went to TomorrowWorld. I think making this connection helped me out. She told me she would be letting everyone know about the position that friday. I got a call on friday with a job offer and I accepted.

Interview Question – What are some popular/upcoming trends that you have noticed?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None - $8.00 /hr

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – Sent in a resume online, got an email a few weeks later about a group interview. There was about 8 of us and 2 of the managers. It was very laid back and casual. They really didn't go a round in a circle to get everyones answers so be sure to speak up and try to answer some questions first (doesn't have to be everyone, there were a few that I hung back on to think of my answer). Also when people are talking look at them the whole time and act engaged, sometimes their answers can give you ideas or you can make comments on their answer.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work and be apart of Urban Outfitters?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – Honestly, the process has to be the most contrived and pretentious one out there. I walked in to their open call. We were separated into groups and asked some "off-beat" and "quirky" questions. I can't even remember most of them.

Interview Question – Who would you like to meet?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None

Boston, MA

Interview Details – Worst interview process I've ever been through.

I applied online and received an invitation to a group interview the next week. As I was unable to attend the interview, I asked if I could attend the next scheduled interview. They said that was fine and they would contact me. Two weeks passed without contact. I called. They said they had one scheduled for the next week but they weren't sure what time yet. The week passed. I went in and spoke with the manager. He said he would have the hiring manager call me that day. No call. So I called the next week and spoke to the manager again. He said he would have the hiring manager call...again. But of course, I never received a call. So I let it go.

Horribly unprofessional. If they weren't interested in hiring me, I would have preferred to be told up front rather than ignored for weeks.

Sales Associate
King of Prussia, PA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2013.

Interview Details – Typical process is group interviews & smaller group/one-on-one for second interview. Casual attire (what you would wear to work) is requested. Very laid back.

Interview Question – What do you know about loss prevention/ What are your career goals/ Why do you want to work here.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered a higher starting pay due to my background in sales.

Sales Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2012.

Interview Details – I exited the CTA train about a block away from the store and walked in with a friend. After we finished browsing and made a purchase I inquired as to available part-time openings. I was given an application to fill out and did so (I provided no resume).

About five days later I received a call for an interview. The interview was performed by the store manager and a full time associate with multiple years at the location. The dress required was plainly casual and I openly commented to the store manager about his wearing a tank top, skinny jeans, and flip-flops (urban merchandise). The content of this first interview simply reviewed URBN expectations and policies.

A week or so later l was scheduled for a group interview with five other potential employees. A few days following this I was contacted via phone with a job offer.

Interview Question – During the group interview each prospective employee was asked (in front of the other prospects) what separates us from the others in terms of qualifications. We had already openly discussed our backgrounds through a series of roundtable questions.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Urban Outfitters

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Urban Outfitters Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 244 interview reviews posted anonymously by Urban Outfitters employees and interview candidates.