Urban Outfitters

Average Difficulty
283 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2012.

Interview Details – Must be brand. Must say what you love so much about the company. Random questions like taste in music and describe funniest moment is important. Must be down to earth and chill.Normally a group interview first then a one on one interview after.

Interview Question – All pretty easy questions during the interview. The survey afterthought hr interview was unexpected.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – Its a very simple group interview with all the different managers of the store. My interview consisted of about 6 other people. They ask you random/silly questions and you simply raise your hand or speak up to answers. My advice is to be clever and the first one to answer them. Its not that difficult.

Interview Question – If you could eat dinner with someone (dead or alive) who would it be? (Super random right?)   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – I had a group interview with about 5 people, and they (the hiring manager and the women's accessory manager) took us to a restaurant across the street because there wasn't enough space in the store for us. They asked us a series of questions and we went around the table and each got to answer them. Only three of the questions they asked were relevant to the actual job. I got a phone call a week later with an offer to work with them for $8/hr.

Interview Question – There was honestly nothing difficult or unexpected from the interview questions. The ones that were relevant to the position were the usual "tell me about a time you took a leadership position in something" to "how did you deal with a difficult customer or co-worker." They asked a bunch of unrelated questions as well, such as what your favorite trend was and what 3-5 bands you would put together for a music festival.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate; the pay was $8/hr.

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and about an hour later I received an e-mail with a link to a survey, which took about 20 minutes to complete (they are looking for honesty). The same night an hour after completing the survey, I received the link to the online interview on Hirevue which was kind of strange. The following evening I got an e-mail from the store I had applied to with an invitation to a group interview within two days which was on a Tuesday . I went to the interview bright and early, there were so many people there for an interview I was kind of intimidated, but never let that show. I wore what I would normally wear and most importantly I was my quirky, weird self (btw there were about 8 of us in this group). At the end of the interview the manger told us that he would be giving us a call no later than that Friday evening. I received his phone call Thursdays with job offer.

Interview Question – Draw a picture of yourself and describe it.
Basically things that represent yourself, could be anything from the music you listen to, to for fashion sense.
  Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

Interview Details – This interview process was totally different. It was all done online! In the resume I described my work and education, so in this video interview I was asked more personal questions about myself and about my style. I was sent several emails after applying online. After that, I recorded my answers, which were timed,using HireVue. After that, I took a survey and I am not waiting for a call or email back from the company. The interview done in this fashion was an easy way to screen possible employes, and it was done on my own time.

Interview Question – There was a question that asked what my most valuable possession was, and i only had about 30 seconds to prepare for that answer!   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online on the URBN website and a few days later I received a link through my email to do an online ethics survey that asked questions about how I felt about stealing or coming into work under the influence. A few days after that I was asked to do a video interview. I did not do the interview because I was out of town but they emailed me about it again and so I decided to do it. I downloaded the Hirevu app on my iphone and I was able to do it anywhere at anytime. They asked four questions and with each question I received about 3 minutes to 30 seconds to prepare and then I was time recorded to answer each question. The first question they asked me to draw a doodle of myself and to explain it, a time I was disappointed by someone and what I did about it, and one thing I could not live without .There were no options to watch my video or to edit anything, so every second counts! After I submitted my video the very next day they asked me to email them back if I wanted to come in three days later for a group interview and they asked me to dress casual and how I would if I worked for them. I decided to wear a racerback tank, shorts, and gladiator sandals.I went to the interview and two managers took two other interviewees and myself to a cafe downstairs to conduct the interview. The managers were very open and laid back, the man wore a fitted cap backwards with a big black tshirt, black jeans, and tennis shoes, and the female wore a casual top that was backless with a black skirt and sandals. They asked us to introduce ourselves and tell them something that they wouldn't know just by looking at us, why we wanted to work at Urban Outfitters, what set us apart from other candidates, and if we knew about loss prevention (I never worked retail before but they had no problem explaining it to me and asking what it meant to me and ways I would prevent it). The interview took about 20 minutes and afterwards the other candidates and I went back into the store to sign forms for a background check.

Interview Question – Draw a picture of yourself and explain it   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – I applied online, and about 2 months later, I got an email asking me to complete an online survey. A few days after the survey, I got another email asking me to confirm a date for a group interview. I confirmed a date, and was finally able to speak to a human being in person. I interviewed with 5 other people at a table, but there were other groups scattered around us. We were interviewed by a department manager and then then some of us were asked to stay behind to interview with the actual store manager (this was done very discreetly, of course). That happened and life went on. Got a call the next day, they offered me the job, I accepted, and they asked if I can come in to fill out paperwork. People that come into our Urban looking for an application are always referred to the online process.

Interview Question – Favorite coffee spot?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

Interview Details – 1st Interview was a group interview. It was me and two other potential employees (three in total). Very relaxed setting.
Questions:
1. What did you do today? ( Trying to see your daily schedule)
2. Why do you want to work for the company?
3. Ask 1 question about ANYTHING in the world and 1 question about the company
4. How would you bring past work experience to assist you in working at U.O.
5. Ask 2 more questions about ANYTHING

The 2nd Interview was with 2 managers and also group.
Questions:
1. Why do you want to work for the company?
2. What is good customer service?
3.Tell us a time when you received good AND bad customer service.
4. Tell us about the last time you had a leadership role in a big project.
5. What inspires your style?
6. What's your favorite trend at the moment?
7. You can ask 1 question about ANYTHING

Just be yourself and let your personality shine through! :)

Interview Question – Ask 1 question about the Company   View Answer

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, filled in the application and answered some customer service questions, and some about myself like what I like to do outside work, and my favorite blogs. There's a group interview then an online survey test about three weeks later, which is as far as I got.

Interview Question – none, interview was pretty easy   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an e-mail to answer survey questions. Received another e-mail about 2 days later asking to do an online video interview. You get asked about 4 fairly simple questions. The most difficult was the first question that required you to draw a picture of yourself in 3 minutes. Since I wasn't aware I spent the first 40 seconds frantically looking for a plain piece of paper and pen.

Interview Question – Draw a picture of yourself and describe it.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Urban Outfitters

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Urban Outfitters Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 283 interview reviews posted anonymously by Urban Outfitters employees and interview candidates.