Urban Outfitters Sales Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

301 interviews

2.2

301 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2014.

First I applied online. They asked pretty simple questions. Next they had me do a questionnaire with a few tricky questions. They called me in a couple of days later for an interview. It was about 5 of us.
Some questions they asked were
-Why do you want to work for Urban?
-What celeb do you look to for fashion inspiration?
-How do you deal with customers?
-What was your experience before at your previous job?
-If money was no object what would you buy at Urban?
After that interview I got a call a week later asking for a second interview with the store manager. There were only 3 of us this time. She basically asked the same questions. Then I got a call the same day offering me the position for 8.45 and hour. I accepted.

non negotiable

Other Interview Reviews for Urban Outfitters

Sales Associate Interview

So, I went to a hiring fair where I talked to two team leaders and it was very relaxed. Easy questions like whose style inspires you? What music do you like? Etc. Then I waited for 3 weeks, thinking that they had not decided to contact me. Almost 4 weeks later they called me asking for 1 on 1 interview. This interview was the same with very easy questions, why uo? What do you like about our store? Then I asked about the wage and the manager told me that they hire part time sales associates who get minimum wage or they will hire you as a full time team leader and you could get upwards of $11 an hour. I have been working retail for three years, currently working for $13/hr, and asked if there was any room for me to make a bit more money. He said the only way I could was to work at min wage pt for three months and then apply for a team leader position. I was pretty disappointed. He asked for two references and contacted them. Called me a week later telling me I got the job, which I declined because I can't afford to work for min wage. The whole process took way too long and I think they are very unorganized. It's ridiculous that you have a flat rate of min wage for employees who genuinely like your product and are sales professionals.

Interview Questions

Wanted to pay minimum wage.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in May 2013.

I applied online and received an email inviting me to a group interview. It was relaxed and they ask typical job interview questions, and personal style questions. I received a call back interview and came back for a one on one interview with basically the same questions. It was pretty laid back and they didn't seem too concerned with experience.

Interview Questions
    • Asked how you would deal with a customer who you caught stealing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in April 2013.

The interview was a group interview. I wasn't called for it, it was a general email just stating the details of the interview. The questions were general, mostly related to the position

Interview Questions
    • If you see someone stealing how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online, received a email to take a video interview and a week later I received a phone call for a groups interview. The manager did not ask any questions, mostly engaging with us. Try to ask as many questions as possible to the managers so you can make an impression. Everyone filled out a background check form right after the interview. A week after the interview I received a job offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

I applied online to four store locations. Three of the four stores never got back to me even after weeks of attempted phone calls I've made inquiring if the position was taken, they repeatedly told me it was still open, but it is taking them a while to get through applications. I never heard back from any of the three stores. The fourth store, and the second one I applied to, responded to my application within two weeks and scheduled an interview for a week from when they called me. I attended the interview and then another two weeks passed by until they contacted me again for a second interview. After the second interview I didn't get a response for nearly three weeks. I received an E-mail with instructions to setting up my W-2's and other miscellaneous information, aka I was hired.
    The only annoying thing about this company is how slow they are with hiring people. I applied at the beginning of June and didn't officially start until the beginning of august.

Questions at the interview:

**A lot of the questions were behavioral**

1)describe a time when you thought you provided outstanding customer service, how did you go the extra mile?

2)describe a time where you had to work together with other people?

3)describe a time where you had to work in a group and you did not get along with other member of the group? How did you handle the situation?

4)What or whom is your fashion inspiration?

5)Why Urban Outfitters?

6)Where do you see yourself in five years?

7)How would you handle an angry customer?

Interview Questions
    • I was given one minute to sketch something on a piece of paper that described who I was   View Answer
    No negotiation, I didn't even find out what my hourly wage was until my second day of work.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Group interview was really cool. Questions like, "if you were a borough, what borough would you be and why?" "what is good customer service vs. great customer service," "name an item in this store that you really want to buy," (they're just trying to ensure you are an actual customer of the store with that question) and other general retail stuff.

Interview Questions
    • If a thief came and stole something from the store so quickly, you had no time to react, what would you do?   View Answer
    They tried to give me $9.50 an hour but I told them that Banana Republic gave me $10.25 an hour so they compromised and are paying me $10 an hour.

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

I applied online back in June for a Sales Associate position at 86th street and about a few hours later I got an email asking me to fill out this questionnaire which was apart of the interview process.

A day later I got another email asking me to attend an group interview the following day. The group interview was conducted by the Visuals Manager and the Men's Floor Manager.
    I attended and the interview was pretty simple. It was about 9 of us interviewing and we all got an opportunity to speak (the best thing is try to be the 2nd or third person to speak and make sense of what your saying). It was pretty laid back, but we all wanted the job so we rambled on a lot.

We were told we would receive an email later in the day if they were moving on with the second part. I received an email asking to come in for another interview with the General Manager and I did. This was a 1 on 1 interview and much better than the group. He asked simple questions like "Why Urban", "Do you know about Loss Prevention", "Interesting facts about myself" etc etc.

He had me list my references since Urban calls your references to make sure everything checks out. I gave him 2 references and left. The following day I called the store to give them other references since the ones I listed before had their numbers changed prior. The Manager I spoke with took down my new references and told me I should hear back in a day or so.

It's now July and I haven't heard anything back so its safe to say I didn't get the job, but it was a total waste of time. Why give me a second interview just to not hire me? Ridiculous.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Applied online, and about two days later received an e-mail asking to do an interview through an app called HireVue, which is where I messed up. It was honestly such a weird way of doing things, I wasn't used to it, and I just didn't feel comfortable using it. I would've rather did an in-person interview, but oh well. I interviewed through it, and did the best I could.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you received constructive criticism, and how you took it.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I was reached by email to come in on a certain date for a group interview, and for the second interview was emailed then called. Well, the manager claimed she emailed us, but I didn't get anything. I ended up being called to come in literally a day before the interview. The process overall was laid back but it felt more like they were looking to fit an image rather than find good people.

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!