Urban Outfitters Sales Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

2.2

301 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in October 2011.

The interview was for the 86th & 3rd location in New York.

The first interview was a group interview (I loathe those) with about 5 people. The questions were more of a survey: How often do you shop online? Who is your fashion role model?

The second interview was also a group interview where the store manager played Darwin.

The store manager was so incompetent it makes me wonder how the hell did she get her job. She was asking us how we stay updated with the latest fashion trends, and when we answered with highly known fashion blogs, she had no clue what they were. So much for staying in the know.

Overall, it was a very unprofessional and unrewarding experience.

Other Interview Reviews for Urban Outfitters

Sales Associate Interview

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in December 2009.

this store is just for a bunch of yuppies and hipsters! they hate as fat people! ughhh it was very weird being the only size 12 there, i reall love this store and they lost a lot of sutomers because they did not want me. i will tell everyone! basically it was a group of us and the ones that they hated including me, they told us we can leave and will give us a call which i never recied and its been 1 month

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in September 2013.

I applied online and was contacted about three days later. All communication throughout the interview process was via email. I went in for a group interview with six other people. There were supposed to be ten of us but some people didn't show up or came late. We went around in a circle answering questions. Why Urban? Other basic questions. What trends have you been seeing lately? Then after forty minutes the interview was over. We went home and I was emailed about the ethics survey. Two days after the survey I was emailed about a second interview. The second interview was with a different manager (There are six total in the store). She asked the exact same questions plus some more difficult ones. As much as I prepared and researched, I still didn't have answers for some of her questions. I didn't dress up as much as the first interview- I wore some regular plain jeans and a plain shirt and flats. The manager told me she would contact me via email. She never did. I received the typical "we went forward with another candidate email" everyone else does.

Interview Questions
    • If you were given two thousand dollars what would you spend it on? What is a challenge you have overcome? If you could be anything in the world what would you be - she gave an example of tying kids shoes or combing dolls hair?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in November 2012.

I applied in store and maybe a week later i got a call to arrange a group interview. At the end of the group interview they gave most people a slip of paper with web link to an online survey quiz thing all about morals. If you didn't pass you didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • There were a few odd questions, such as "who is your favourite blog" and "who is your favourite artist"   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in September 2011.

I was recruited to work for Urban in the fall of 2011. For such a basic retail job, I cannot imagine a more competitive experience. It all begins with a group interview. Dress to impress and moreover, dress the way you describe in your application. When I walked in, the manager noted that she recognized me based on my application description/ fashion inspiration. (Also, if you put something lame on your app like "I draw fashion inspiration from me" you're going to get an eye-roll and no one will take you seriously)

The group interview begins and you are asked questions as a group; meaning you either have to speak up first or be prepared to give an answer that stands apart from the rest. Beware of repeating answers, even if you feel the same way. They are interested in two things: Number one, someone who really really values customer service, but not in a generic way. Secondly, Urban wants individuals who are passionate and above all authentic. (A.K.A. Cool and knowledgeable.)

Once you pass the dreaded group interview, they weed out the dummies through an oddly worded personality test. It's unlike those standard I agree/disagree tests, they are long-winded questions meant to test both your ethics and your reading ability. READ THEM CAREFULLY. I can't tell you how many smart people fail because they try to rush through it.

If you make it past the personality test there will be a personal phone interview with the store manager, followed by an in-person interview where they will evaluate you further. Consider the fact that they don't want another suck-up, they want someone who can be cool and friendly at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • What is something you did in a past job that went against company standards?   View Answer
    They decide what you get paid hourly, it's close to minimum wage.

Sales Associate Interview

I went in to shop for clothes and asked if they were hiring. The manager told me to apply online and they would be in contact with me. I had to go back to the store a week later to check on the status of my application, where I was told to come back the next day for a group interview. I came back for the group interview and they told me they would keep in touch.

I believe they called me back for a 1:1 interview with the manager. I then was asked to take a personality test and they would call me with my results. I took the test that day and was called later that night to be told I passed the test and they would keep in touch. Within a week later they called me back to ask for my references (they lost my application) and within minutes of them calling my previous employer, I was offered a seasonal job. After I completed my season, they asked me to stay for a full year job.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate with them because I was happy with any salary, but Im sure they would be more than welcome to have a negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2011.

Although the process was long, you meet a lot of your management and hiring team along the way.

The first interview was basically a cattle call (literally like 50+ at each of the 2 open calls I have gone to) and small groups with 8-10 people. Basically a "chat" with one of the hiring managers/department managers/store managers. To be honest, here is where you are most judged on face value (i.e. your style, taste, fashion inspiration, what you're wearing that day). No mention of actual work experience. ALWAYS CHECK YOUR EMAIL! My first follow up email got stuck in my Junk mail so I missed my opportunity to take the "test"... luckily i got a 2nd chance and took it. Its not hard or particularly long...Just remember its A JOB, Urban may be laid back but the still want you to seem professional on paper.

Second interview was a week later. I met with the Store manager for about 20 mins talked about style inspiration, some mention of work experience, the "Why Urban?" question, etc. All about how you would work with customers and your style. I don't think you need a particular style like some say (like not everyone is a giant hipster) but you HAVE to have a strong style...if its retro, goth, hipster, whatever you have to show it...I would advise wearing something that reflects your style the most...even if it doesn't seem "professional"

Third interview (yes, there's more), was a meeting with the Women's Department Manager, and it was really "casual" they really push the "relaxed" vibe to get you to "be yourself" so be relaxed and funny and real. Tell stories whenever possible to show your personality. I disagree that you should be aloof and typical "hipster" persona...being excited about the job makes them want you so if you care ACT LIKE IT!

The fourth interview (last one I promise) was over the phone with the Store Manager again. Basically all business...asking about schedule conflicts, if you mind working certain hours, if you go to school, if so what is your schedule, do you mind staying late or coming early...blah blah blah. Then she offered me a job, which was AWESOME after all that work.

Overall, the company has several open interviews but don't think you can get hired right off the bat for wearing cool clothes.They only hired 5 people of the almost 100 people who showed up for the open call. Its going to take FOREVER to know if you even got it (lots and LOTS of interviews) so dont equate a second interview with a job offer. If you need immediate employment look somewhere else. On the other hand don't think you can't get far in the interview process without retail experience because I had NONE. Be personable and knowledgable of brands and your fashion inspirations. Don't be wishy washy, pick a style and go with it! be confident and you have a good chance.

Interview Questions
    I thought that the manager of the store was very accommodating... at least through the process. She allowed me to delay my start date by almost 2 months so I could handle other priorities. I have yet to start but i have gotten information about my training day already, 1 month in advance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2009.

Went to one of those job fairs and filled out application on spot. Had a 1 on 1 interview with a manager and she asked me several questions, like why I want to work here and why I would be a good fit. After the interview, I got a piece of paper with the personality text info that I would have to take online. Received a call about two weeks later I took the online assessment and went in for a second interview. Second interview was basically to confirm my availability and when I would be able to start.

Interview Questions
    The starting hourly wage was already predetermined and was not negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brea, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in October 2010.

I attended the job fair, the interview was given in groups of three. We were given a personality survey to complete online. I was given a call back within a few days asking to come in for a second interview (which was also a group interview.) I was then called for a third interview...I received a phone call by the end up the week informing me that I was hired. I recently attended my orientation, I also received a schedule of when I will begin working. Overall, it was a good experience. Yes they do hire based on looks which I don't think is right. It's all about how you present yourself during the interview, dress accordingly look fashionable. Be confident and stand out from those in your group during the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2010.

I applied online and they sent me an email two weeks later that they were going to have a open call interview for the new stores opening. I went for a group interview.They asked general questions like, Why you want to work at UO, what's customer service to u?

Interview Questions

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!