Urban Outfitters

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Average Difficulty
290 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online. A few days later, I received an email about doing a video interview on hirevue which was pretty cool because you were just recording your answers so it wasn't like you had to talk to anybody. Two weeks after that I received an email about completing a online survey (the answers were clearly common sense, not hard at all) and then a week or so later I got an e-mail about having an interview. My interview was one on one. The women's manager emailed me about the interview, but she wasn't there so the store manager was supposed to do it, but he got stuck on a conference call so one of the assistant managers did it, and it was like I was having a regular conversation with a friend about our likes and dislikes. The interview was good there weren't any crazy questions I got asked and the questions were pretty much the same as the other people have said: loss prevention, what are your hobbies, what trends are you into, etc. After the interview she told me that she would do a reference check and I would hear back from her soon. I got really excited because she told me I seemed like a good fit (make sure you smile a lot ad engage the interviewer, they love that!) and even though I didn't have any previous retail experience that was okay because they would teach me whatever I needed to know. After six days of me waiting for them to call and refreshing my e-mail every five seconds like a crazy person, I was called with a job offer!

Interview Question – there wasn't any crazy questions, nothing caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate, the pay was waay better than any other minimum wage job I had and I really wanted to work there anyway.

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

Interview Details – I went to a job fair they were holding in store. I was the first to arrive and received two short interviews. The first was with two team leaders that asked me more about trends, my personality, and why I wanted to work there. The second was with the store manager and he asked more questions that had to do with the actual job such as customer service, receiving bad criticism, and availability. He then told me he'd contact me later. The next day I received an email asking me to do an online interview using the HireVue app. It asked 4 very easy questions, the first asking to draw a picture and describe it. Then I waited another week for an email with a request to complete an ethics survey. Mostly had to do with doing drugs on the job, loss prevention, etc. Essentially, you answer how you would if you wanted to work there. (Be a goody two shoes). Now I am waiting to see if they will contact me with an offer or not.

Interview Question – If you could combine two any two animals together, what would they be?
Describe the last time you received bad criticism.
Describe the last time you received good customer service.
Draw a picture of yourself and describe it.
What's one item you could not live without?
  Answer Question

Sales Associate

Interview Details – The process took about 2 weeks. I applied online and got an email inviting be to their open interview, so I went. I didn't even know there was an open interview for anyone at all, even if they were just shopping and saw the poster so there were probably over 200 people. Everybody lined up and there were 4 interviewers. The interview was 1 on 1 - a sales associate would tell us which of the 4 interviewers to go to when it was your turn. I was very lucky because the guy that ended up interviewing me was actually the manager who read my application. Interview was fairly easy - mostly about what you like to do and personality questions.
The next day i got an email asking me to do the video interview from Hirevue. The interview was pretty easy as well, even though i was super awkward talking to myself in front of a camera and i felt that I wouldn't make it through to the next step, but sure enough i did!
After the weekend I got an email asking me to complete the ethics quiz / opinion survey. The questions were mostly straight forward but some of the questions threw me off and were tricky. You need to take your time to read carefully. Since i got an email back a day after for all the other times, I was sure i failed this survey since i didn't get anything, but 2 days later at night, I received an email inviting me to a 2nd interview.
So i went, and was super nervous because I knew if I messed up here i'd be screwed. And yes, i messed up pretty bad because when telling the manager about myself I accidentally told him I had no talents... oops. But he was very nice about it, and carried on a conversation about how we all find our talents sooner or later and asked me about my hobbies, basically helping me find my talent. Overall, I think there were 3 questions because we spent most of the time making conversation about music, school, life, etc. The questions were more serious than the first though, as it asked about what you know about the job and such.

So, after that mistake i made and being super awkward at my 2nd interview I was sure i didn't get the job.. There were around 10 others at the 2nd interview. But today I get a call from the manager offering me a job and excited doesn't being to describe my feelings right now! I don't even have any retail experience! (And in Canada they hire at any age, not 18 like the other posts say, although I'm sure it'd be better to be over 16.)

Interview Question – If money wasn't an issue, what kind of party would you throw?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

Interview Details – I applied online and less than a week later I got an email asking for a video interview. They asked four questions for the video interview and I had to record myself answering them. It was fairly relaxed and easy. One of the questions was to draw a picture of myself/life and describe it. Then I got an email a few days after that to fill out an ethics survey which had to do with things like loss prevention, drugs, and customer service. About 2 days after that I got a call to come in for an interview. The interview was one on one, very relaxed and welcoming. I was asked to tell him about myself, what I know about Urban, why I'd like to work there, a challenge I've had to overcome, something that inspired me recently, what I do when I'm not working, what do you look for in an ideal coworker/boss, and questions about availability and my previous job. Overall, it was a pretty fun interview and felt more like a comfortable conversation. I was offered the job on the spot. My advice is to dress the part, do your homework on the company, be confident, and just be yourself. Also, in regards to the question "Why Urban?", what I've learned from friends who have worked there/are working there, do not say you want to work there because of the clothes. Say something about the company itself, show that you know what UO is all about.

Interview Question – Nothing was too difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – I applied online, maybe two weeks later received notification that I would participate in an online interview. This is intended to make you feel comfortable and truly express who you are without the nerves. The first thing in the video interview was to run and grab paper and draw a picture. Some other questions were to describe your style and taste in music, some job history and education history (where you went - high schools, colleges, etc.). The final question was what is one item you can't live without - be creative and have fun with this one. All questions have a time limit so you to ramble on. A day after I was given an ethics test. Less than a week after that I scheduled a time for a group interview. I wore wide leg fabric pants in a tribal pattern with a simple top and wedges. Try to wear something daring and trending - aka kimono, dressed up romper, something to show you have that out of the box style. Don't get worked up about it or you'll be nervous and have artificial answers. After the interview I had to tell the interviewee I would only be able to work for a month before I moved. He said they were rooting for me to do well and was disappointed by this news. Basically I would've very likely been hired otherwise.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time you were given excellent customer service   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – I applied online on a Wednesday and the application process is pretty straightforward. Just make sure to answer the short answer questions in a manner that makes you seem appealing to UO culture. The following Monday I received an email link to an ethics survey which is easy enough to complete as long as you use common sense and read carefully. A couple hours after I submitted the survey, I received an email inviting me to a group interview in 2 days. I accepted the invitation but I was nervous about the group setting and my absence of retail experience. At my interview, it was just myself and one other applicant. I thought that we both looked the part. Although I was soo nervous, I answered all the questions with wit and honesty and kept my calm. I would recommend reading the other interview questions posted on this site so you know what to expect. After the interview I wasn't feeling particularly confident because the other candidate had previous retail experience and was very personable. The manager who executed the interview was really nice and easygoing, which took the pressure off the interview. At noon the next day I received a call from the manager offering me a position. All in all, be confident with your answers, don't be repetitive, and make yourself stand out from the applicants!

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate given that this was my first retail position and I was happy with the offered wage anyway. I received about 20 cents above minimum wage.

Interviewed at Urban Outfitters

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call shortly after to come in to the store for an interview. I interviewed with one of the assistant managers and was asked about my past retail experience, hobbies, and interest in Urban.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any difficult questions. They were all pretty basic and straight forward.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

Interview Details – Its a very simple group interview with all the different managers of the store. My interview consisted of about 6 other people. They ask you random/silly questions and you simply raise your hand or speak up to answers. My advice is to be clever and the first one to answer them. Its not that difficult.

Interview Question – If you could eat dinner with someone (dead or alive) who would it be? (Super random right?)   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2012.

Interview Details – Must be brand. Must say what you love so much about the company. Random questions like taste in music and describe funniest moment is important. Must be down to earth and chill.Normally a group interview first then a one on one interview after.

Interview Question – All pretty easy questions during the interview. The survey afterthought hr interview was unexpected.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – I had a group interview with about 5 people, and they (the hiring manager and the women's accessory manager) took us to a restaurant across the street because there wasn't enough space in the store for us. They asked us a series of questions and we went around the table and each got to answer them. Only three of the questions they asked were relevant to the actual job. I got a phone call a week later with an offer to work with them for $8/hr.

Interview Question – There was honestly nothing difficult or unexpected from the interview questions. The ones that were relevant to the position were the usual "tell me about a time you took a leadership position in something" to "how did you deal with a difficult customer or co-worker." They asked a bunch of unrelated questions as well, such as what your favorite trend was and what 3-5 bands you would put together for a music festival.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate; the pay was $8/hr.

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!