Urban Outfitters Sales Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

300 interviews

2.2

300 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

I applied online once and didn't hear back. I resubmitted my application again about 3 weeks later and I got an email calling me in for a group interview during their job fair day the following week. I went in with 4 other people in the break room and was interviewed by the women's department team leader. The questions were pretty standard and I did a lot of research beforehand so I felt fairly prepared. Everything talked about their experience and everyone had worked in retail previously. I had no retail experience which intimidated me but I showed an eagerness to learn and work. The interview was planned to be about 30 minutes but it was really closer to an hour because everyone was given a chance to talk. We were asked questions about the store (what's good customer service, how would you approach a shoplifter, why do you want to work at urban, etc.) and then questions about our personality (who would be your alter ego, what makes you you/your favorite hobbies, what inspires you.) Afterwards, she let everyone go and told me and another guy to stay back. She told us we were good to move on to the next round, which was a meeting with the store manager. Plot twist, the second interview was going to be in 25 minutes. The interview with the manager was really easy and didn't even feel like an interview. Most of it was just us (me, the guy from my interview, and 2 guys from another interview) getting to him as a person and his background. We spent a lot of time (almost 1.5 hours) just chatting and then he told us at that point we had already received the positions. He was just trying to get a feel for us as people.

The overall process was a bit nerve-wracking for me personally, because I had no retail experience going in and only one job beforehand. However, they told me they were attracted to my positive energy so this is a PSA to people without experience like me: It's not all about experience so don't let your lack of it discourage you! Stay positive. Be eager to learn!

Interview Questions
  • Why Urban Outfitters? Who would be your alter ego? How would you handle a shoplifter? What do you do to keep you inspired?   Answer Question
I didn't negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Urban Outfitters

Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online, maybe two weeks later received notification that I would participate in an online interview. This is intended to make you feel comfortable and truly express who you are without the nerves. The first thing in the video interview was to run and grab paper and draw a picture. Some other questions were to describe your style and taste in music, some job history and education history (where you went - high schools, colleges, etc.). The final question was what is one item you can't live without - be creative and have fun with this one. All questions have a time limit so you to ramble on. A day after I was given an ethics test. Less than a week after that I scheduled a time for a group interview. I wore wide leg fabric pants in a tribal pattern with a simple top and wedges. Try to wear something daring and trending - aka kimono, dressed up romper, something to show you have that out of the box style. Don't get worked up about it or you'll be nervous and have artificial answers. After the interview I had to tell the interviewee I would only be able to work for a month before I moved. He said they were rooting for me to do well and was disappointed by this news. Basically I would've very likely been hired otherwise.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you were given excellent customer service   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

I applied online and less than a week later I got an email asking for a video interview. They asked four questions for the video interview and I had to record myself answering them. It was fairly relaxed and easy. One of the questions was to draw a picture of myself/life and describe it. Then I got an email a few days after that to fill out an ethics survey which had to do with things like loss prevention, drugs, and customer service. About 2 days after that I got a call to come in for an interview. The interview was one on one, very relaxed and welcoming. I was asked to tell him about myself, what I know about Urban, why I'd like to work there, a challenge I've had to overcome, something that inspired me recently, what I do when I'm not working, what do you look for in an ideal coworker/boss, and questions about availability and my previous job. Overall, it was a pretty fun interview and felt more like a comfortable conversation. I was offered the job on the spot. My advice is to dress the part, do your homework on the company, be confident, and just be yourself. Also, in regards to the question "Why Urban?", what I've learned from friends who have worked there/are working there, do not say you want to work there because of the clothes. Say something about the company itself, show that you know what UO is all about.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online on a Wednesday and the application process is pretty straightforward. Just make sure to answer the short answer questions in a manner that makes you seem appealing to UO culture. The following Monday I received an email link to an ethics survey which is easy enough to complete as long as you use common sense and read carefully. A couple hours after I submitted the survey, I received an email inviting me to a group interview in 2 days. I accepted the invitation but I was nervous about the group setting and my absence of retail experience. At my interview, it was just myself and one other applicant. I thought that we both looked the part. Although I was soo nervous, I answered all the questions with wit and honesty and kept my calm. I would recommend reading the other interview questions posted on this site so you know what to expect. After the interview I wasn't feeling particularly confident because the other candidate had previous retail experience and was very personable. The manager who executed the interview was really nice and easygoing, which took the pressure off the interview. At noon the next day I received a call from the manager offering me a position. All in all, be confident with your answers, don't be repetitive, and make yourself stand out from the applicants!

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate given that this was my first retail position and I was happy with the offered wage anyway. I received about 20 cents above minimum wage.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and received a call shortly after to come in to the store for an interview. I interviewed with one of the assistant managers and was asked about my past retail experience, hobbies, and interest in Urban.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any difficult questions. They were all pretty basic and straight forward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2012.

Must be brand. Must say what you love so much about the company. Random questions like taste in music and describe funniest moment is important. Must be down to earth and chill.Normally a group interview first then a one on one interview after.

Interview Questions
    • All pretty easy questions during the interview. The survey afterthought hr interview was unexpected.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Its a very simple group interview with all the different managers of the store. My interview consisted of about 6 other people. They ask you random/silly questions and you simply raise your hand or speak up to answers. My advice is to be clever and the first one to answer them. Its not that difficult.

Interview Questions
    • If you could eat dinner with someone (dead or alive) who would it be? (Super random right?)   View Answer

Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

I applied online on the URBN website and a few days later I received a link through my email to do an online ethics survey that asked questions about how I felt about stealing or coming into work under the influence. A few days after that I was asked to do a video interview. I did not do the interview because I was out of town but they emailed me about it again and so I decided to do it. I downloaded the Hirevu app on my iphone and I was able to do it anywhere at anytime. They asked four questions and with each question I received about 3 minutes to 30 seconds to prepare and then I was time recorded to answer each question. The first question they asked me to draw a doodle of myself and to explain it, a time I was disappointed by someone and what I did about it, and one thing I could not live without .There were no options to watch my video or to edit anything, so every second counts! After I submitted my video the very next day they asked me to email them back if I wanted to come in three days later for a group interview and they asked me to dress casual and how I would if I worked for them. I decided to wear a racerback tank, shorts, and gladiator sandals.I went to the interview and two managers took two other interviewees and myself to a cafe downstairs to conduct the interview. The managers were very open and laid back, the man wore a fitted cap backwards with a big black tshirt, black jeans, and tennis shoes, and the female wore a casual top that was backless with a black skirt and sandals. They asked us to introduce ourselves and tell them something that they wouldn't know just by looking at us, why we wanted to work at Urban Outfitters, what set us apart from other candidates, and if we knew about loss prevention (I never worked retail before but they had no problem explaining it to me and asking what it meant to me and ways I would prevent it). The interview took about 20 minutes and afterwards the other candidates and I went back into the store to sign forms for a background check.

Sales Associate Interview

I had a group interview with about 5 people, and they (the hiring manager and the women's accessory manager) took us to a restaurant across the street because there wasn't enough space in the store for us. They asked us a series of questions and we went around the table and each got to answer them. Only three of the questions they asked were relevant to the actual job. I got a phone call a week later with an offer to work with them for $8/hr.

Interview Questions
    • There was honestly nothing difficult or unexpected from the interview questions. The ones that were relevant to the position were the usual "tell me about a time you took a leadership position in something" to "how did you deal with a difficult customer or co-worker." They asked a bunch of unrelated questions as well, such as what your favorite trend was and what 3-5 bands you would put together for a music festival.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate; the pay was $8/hr.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

I applied online and about an hour later I received an e-mail with a link to a survey, which took about 20 minutes to complete (they are looking for honesty). The same night an hour after completing the survey, I received the link to the online interview on Hirevue which was kind of strange. The following evening I got an e-mail from the store I had applied to with an invitation to a group interview within two days which was on a Tuesday . I went to the interview bright and early, there were so many people there for an interview I was kind of intimidated, but never let that show. I wore what I would normally wear and most importantly I was my quirky, weird self (btw there were about 8 of us in this group). At the end of the interview the manger told us that he would be giving us a call no later than that Friday evening. I received his phone call Thursdays with job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Draw a picture of yourself and describe it.
      Basically things that represent yourself, could be anything from the music you listen to, to for fashion sense.
        Answer Question