Urban Outfitters Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014

2.2

310 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in May 2013.

I applied online and received an email inviting me to a group interview. It was relaxed and they ask typical job interview questions, and personal style questions. I received a call back interview and came back for a one on one interview with basically the same questions. It was pretty laid back and they didn't seem too concerned with experience.

Interview Questions
  • Asked how you would deal with a customer who you caught stealing.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Urban Outfitters

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in April 2013.

The interview was a group interview. I wasn't called for it, it was a general email just stating the details of the interview. The questions were general, mostly related to the position

Interview Questions
    • If you see someone stealing how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online, received a email to take a video interview and a week later I received a phone call for a groups interview. The manager did not ask any questions, mostly engaging with us. Try to ask as many questions as possible to the managers so you can make an impression. Everyone filled out a background check form right after the interview. A week after the interview I received a job offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

I applied online to four store locations. Three of the four stores never got back to me even after weeks of attempted phone calls I've made inquiring if the position was taken, they repeatedly told me it was still open, but it is taking them a while to get through applications. I never heard back from any of the three stores. The fourth store, and the second one I applied to, responded to my application within two weeks and scheduled an interview for a week from when they called me. I attended the interview and then another two weeks passed by until they contacted me again for a second interview. After the second interview I didn't get a response for nearly three weeks. I received an E-mail with instructions to setting up my W-2's and other miscellaneous information, aka I was hired.
    The only annoying thing about this company is how slow they are with hiring people. I applied at the beginning of June and didn't officially start until the beginning of august.

Questions at the interview:

**A lot of the questions were behavioral**

1)describe a time when you thought you provided outstanding customer service, how did you go the extra mile?

2)describe a time where you had to work together with other people?

3)describe a time where you had to work in a group and you did not get along with other member of the group? How did you handle the situation?

4)What or whom is your fashion inspiration?

5)Why Urban Outfitters?

6)Where do you see yourself in five years?

7)How would you handle an angry customer?

Interview Questions
    • I was given one minute to sketch something on a piece of paper that described who I was   View Answer
    No negotiation, I didn't even find out what my hourly wage was until my second day of work.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Group interview was really cool. Questions like, "if you were a borough, what borough would you be and why?" "what is good customer service vs. great customer service," "name an item in this store that you really want to buy," (they're just trying to ensure you are an actual customer of the store with that question) and other general retail stuff.

Interview Questions
    • If a thief came and stole something from the store so quickly, you had no time to react, what would you do?   View Answer
    They tried to give me $9.50 an hour but I told them that Banana Republic gave me $10.25 an hour so they compromised and are paying me $10 an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

I applied online back in June for a Sales Associate position at 86th street and about a few hours later I got an email asking me to fill out this questionnaire which was apart of the interview process.

A day later I got another email asking me to attend an group interview the following day. The group interview was conducted by the Visuals Manager and the Men's Floor Manager.
    I attended and the interview was pretty simple. It was about 9 of us interviewing and we all got an opportunity to speak (the best thing is try to be the 2nd or third person to speak and make sense of what your saying). It was pretty laid back, but we all wanted the job so we rambled on a lot.

We were told we would receive an email later in the day if they were moving on with the second part. I received an email asking to come in for another interview with the General Manager and I did. This was a 1 on 1 interview and much better than the group. He asked simple questions like "Why Urban", "Do you know about Loss Prevention", "Interesting facts about myself" etc etc.

He had me list my references since Urban calls your references to make sure everything checks out. I gave him 2 references and left. The following day I called the store to give them other references since the ones I listed before had their numbers changed prior. The Manager I spoke with took down my new references and told me I should hear back in a day or so.

It's now July and I haven't heard anything back so its safe to say I didn't get the job, but it was a total waste of time. Why give me a second interview just to not hire me? Ridiculous.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Applied online, and about two days later received an e-mail asking to do an interview through an app called HireVue, which is where I messed up. It was honestly such a weird way of doing things, I wasn't used to it, and I just didn't feel comfortable using it. I would've rather did an in-person interview, but oh well. I interviewed through it, and did the best I could.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you received constructive criticism, and how you took it.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I was reached by email to come in on a certain date for a group interview, and for the second interview was emailed then called. Well, the manager claimed she emailed us, but I didn't get anything. I ended up being called to come in literally a day before the interview. The process overall was laid back but it felt more like they were looking to fit an image rather than find good people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

I applied online. A few days later, I received an email about doing a video interview on hirevue which was pretty cool because you were just recording your answers so it wasn't like you had to talk to anybody. Two weeks after that I received an email about completing a online survey (the answers were clearly common sense, not hard at all) and then a week or so later I got an e-mail about having an interview. My interview was one on one. The women's manager emailed me about the interview, but she wasn't there so the store manager was supposed to do it, but he got stuck on a conference call so one of the assistant managers did it, and it was like I was having a regular conversation with a friend about our likes and dislikes. The interview was good there weren't any crazy questions I got asked and the questions were pretty much the same as the other people have said: loss prevention, what are your hobbies, what trends are you into, etc. After the interview she told me that she would do a reference check and I would hear back from her soon. I got really excited because she told me I seemed like a good fit (make sure you smile a lot ad engage the interviewer, they love that!) and even though I didn't have any previous retail experience that was okay because they would teach me whatever I needed to know. After six days of me waiting for them to call and refreshing my e-mail every five seconds like a crazy person, I was called with a job offer!

Interview Questions
    • there wasn't any crazy questions, nothing caught me off guard.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate, the pay was waay better than any other minimum wage job I had and I really wanted to work there anyway.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

I applied online once and didn't hear back. I resubmitted my application again about 3 weeks later and I got an email calling me in for a group interview during their job fair day the following week. I went in with 4 other people in the break room and was interviewed by the women's department team leader. The questions were pretty standard and I did a lot of research beforehand so I felt fairly prepared. Everything talked about their experience and everyone had worked in retail previously. I had no retail experience which intimidated me but I showed an eagerness to learn and work. The interview was planned to be about 30 minutes but it was really closer to an hour because everyone was given a chance to talk. We were asked questions about the store (what's good customer service, how would you approach a shoplifter, why do you want to work at urban, etc.) and then questions about our personality (who would be your alter ego, what makes you you/your favorite hobbies, what inspires you.) Afterwards, she let everyone go and told me and another guy to stay back. She told us we were good to move on to the next round, which was a meeting with the store manager. Plot twist, the second interview was going to be in 25 minutes. The interview with the manager was really easy and didn't even feel like an interview. Most of it was just us (me, the guy from my interview, and 2 guys from another interview) getting to him as a person and his background. We spent a lot of time (almost 1.5 hours) just chatting and then he told us at that point we had already received the positions. He was just trying to get a feel for us as people.

The overall process was a bit nerve-wracking for me personally, because I had no retail experience going in and only one job beforehand. However, they told me they were attracted to my positive energy so this is a PSA to people without experience like me: It's not all about experience so don't let your lack of it discourage you! Stay positive. Be eager to learn!

Interview Questions
    • Why Urban Outfitters? Who would be your alter ego? How would you handle a shoplifter? What do you do to keep you inspired?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate.