Urban Outfitters Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Oct 29, 2014

2.2

327 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

Online interview was odd because you don't talk to anyone but it was easy and quick. In-person, group interview was very relaxed. Questions range from favorite music to what designers you would by with unlimited money.

No negotiation phase.

Other Interview Reviews for Urban Outfitters

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online and they called me the next day for a group interview.. The group interview was a little overwhelming because there were about 10 or so people and they were more group interviews scheduled that day... They asked questions like "Whats your style?" and "what are your passions in life?"

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I interviewed in 2011 for a location in a large mall. I think I submitted a resume in Jan and when everything was done, I think I started working in April.
    It was two rounds of in-person group interviews. The first was with two managers and probably a total of 6 interviewees. The second was down to me and another person with (I think) the regional manager at the time. No questions were particularly hard; it is full of behavioral/scenario questions. Of course emphasize the crap out of customer service and make sure to speak up for every question asked. Luckily my first group interview didn't feel to competitive trying to take turns speaking, but you never know...
    I feel that what secured my position was to really show them my personality in the 2nd interview. I think at one point I said something about how I'm goofy. They are looking for hard workers with good ethics and a fun personality that will get along with the rest of the team so make sure to let them know you're not a robot! After the 2nd interview, there was also an ethics survey you have to complete online to make sure you're not an idiot - pretty simple!

Interview Questions
    • Example of when you've dealt with a rude customer / co-worker, hard project, etc.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if:
      you saw a customer stealing
      you saw an employee stealing
      you didn't know an answer to something, etc. ..seriously easy peasy!
        Answer Question
    No negotiation of salary. You eventually get a raise. I got 'promoted' to cashier pretty quickly so my pay went up with that as well.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in September 2014.

I applied online and then about a 2 days later they sent me an email to do a video interview. It was unexpected but kind of fun. Then about 4 days later I completed there survey. Then I got an email 2 day later about a group interview. The date on the interview was wrong, it said Wednesday 9/9 instead of Wednesday 9/10.If I didn't see the email I wouldn't have made it, because they sent it the day before one the 9th. The interview was okay, the manager didn't have any information about use. So mentally I'm thinking how can you hire two people when you don't have any of their information. Nor did she ask for our information afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • One the video interview they asked me to draw a picture representing myself and that threw me off because you only have a certain amount of time to prepare for the video and then shoot it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied in-person – interviewed at Urban Outfitters in September 2014.

I went in on the weekend for shopping. When I got to the register I was looking at the "Do you want to work for us" flyers. Little did I know, the manager was the one checking me out at the register and asked if I was interested in working there. I had previously put in an online application about a month earlier. She asked my name and looked me up. She emailed me with the video interview process and a day or so afterwards I went in for the face to face interview. Within a week, I was hired. The video interview was super cool and you will need a webcam for it to record yourself answering random questions they give you. Fun! I love my new job. I have been there for about 3 weeks. Easy job!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in September 2014.

They first had me fill out the general information and also asked for a resume, standard protocol. About two days later, I got an email stating that they wanted a video interview. In the video interview, they ask five questions and you have to answer them on the spot. This is where you want to shine, and try to be different than the other candidates for the job. The questions aren't hard, some of them are pretty fun! (for example, they ask you to draw three things and explain why you drew them). If they liked your video interview, then they will request an actual interview with the store manager. Usually it is a group interview, but I got a one-on-one interview which I thought went really well. The manager told me that I would hear from them in upcoming week. Two days later, I received an email stating that I needed to answer their ethics quiz. the quiz is about 78 questions and they ask you about specific scenarios and whether you agree or disagree on the action that was taken. Really easy, just use your common sense. About three days after the quiz, I received another email stating that they wanted a second interview, which I will be going to tomorrow. The most important trick is to be yourself and to not try so hard to be someone you're not. Answer the questions honestly and if they think you're the right fit, you'll get the job!!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when something didn't go your way and how you adjusted to the circumstances?   Answer Question

I didn't decline, I haven't had my second interview yet

Sales Associate Interview

So, I went to a hiring fair where I talked to two team leaders and it was very relaxed. Easy questions like whose style inspires you? What music do you like? Etc. Then I waited for 3 weeks, thinking that they had not decided to contact me. Almost 4 weeks later they called me asking for 1 on 1 interview. This interview was the same with very easy questions, why uo? What do you like about our store? Then I asked about the wage and the manager told me that they hire part time sales associates who get minimum wage or they will hire you as a full time team leader and you could get upwards of $11 an hour. I have been working retail for three years, currently working for $13/hr, and asked if there was any room for me to make a bit more money. He said the only way I could was to work at min wage pt for three months and then apply for a team leader position. I was pretty disappointed. He asked for two references and contacted them. Called me a week later telling me I got the job, which I declined because I can't afford to work for min wage. The whole process took way too long and I think they are very unorganized. It's ridiculous that you have a flat rate of min wage for employees who genuinely like your product and are sales professionals.

Interview Questions

Wanted to pay minimum wage.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2014.

First I applied online. They asked pretty simple questions. Next they had me do a questionnaire with a few tricky questions. They called me in a couple of days later for an interview. It was about 5 of us.
    Some questions they asked were
    -Why do you want to work for Urban?
    -What celeb do you look to for fashion inspiration?
    -How do you deal with customers?
    -What was your experience before at your previous job?
    -If money was no object what would you buy at Urban?
    After that interview I got a call a week later asking for a second interview with the store manager. There were only 3 of us this time. She basically asked the same questions. Then I got a call the same day offering me the position for 8.45 and hour. I accepted.

non negotiable

Sales Associate Interview

I was reached by email to come in on a certain date for a group interview, and for the second interview was emailed then called. Well, the manager claimed she emailed us, but I didn't get anything. I ended up being called to come in literally a day before the interview. The process overall was laid back but it felt more like they were looking to fit an image rather than find good people.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online, received a email to take a video interview and a week later I received a phone call for a groups interview. The manager did not ask any questions, mostly engaging with us. Try to ask as many questions as possible to the managers so you can make an impression. Everyone filled out a background check form right after the interview. A week after the interview I received a job offer.