Urban Outfitters

Updated Nov 15, 2014

2.2

333 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2014.

First I applied online. They asked pretty simple questions. Next they had me do a questionnaire with a few tricky questions. They called me in a couple of days later for an interview. It was about 5 of us.
Some questions they asked were
-Why do you want to work for Urban?
-What celeb do you look to for fashion inspiration?
-How do you deal with customers?
-What was your experience before at your previous job?
-If money was no object what would you buy at Urban?
After that interview I got a call a week later asking for a second interview with the store manager. There were only 3 of us this time. She basically asked the same questions. Then I got a call the same day offering me the position for 8.45 and hour. I accepted.

non negotiable

Other Interview Reviews for Urban Outfitters

Sales Associate Interview

I was reached by email to come in on a certain date for a group interview, and for the second interview was emailed then called. Well, the manager claimed she emailed us, but I didn't get anything. I ended up being called to come in literally a day before the interview. The process overall was laid back but it felt more like they were looking to fit an image rather than find good people.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online, received a email to take a video interview and a week later I received a phone call for a groups interview. The manager did not ask any questions, mostly engaging with us. Try to ask as many questions as possible to the managers so you can make an impression. Everyone filled out a background check form right after the interview. A week after the interview I received a job offer.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Group interview was really cool. Questions like, "if you were a borough, what borough would you be and why?" "what is good customer service vs. great customer service," "name an item in this store that you really want to buy," (they're just trying to ensure you are an actual customer of the store with that question) and other general retail stuff.

Interview Questions
    • If a thief came and stole something from the store so quickly, you had no time to react, what would you do?   View Answer
    They tried to give me $9.50 an hour but I told them that Banana Republic gave me $10.25 an hour so they compromised and are paying me $10 an hour.

1. Applied online
    2. Received an email the following day for an online video interview. They asked fun and quirky questions.
    3. Then received feedback to fill out a ethics questionnaire.
    4. Then received an email directly from the store that my application was impressive and would to schedule and in person interview.
    5. Interview in person was quick and easy.
    6. After they called both of my references, I received a call with an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Draw a picture of yourself and explain how it describes your likes and interests.   Answer Question

Too low of pay.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2014.

I applied a while ago to a different location and didnt get the job there but I saw that another location near me was hiring so I decided to apply there. A day later I got an email back asking me to do a video interview. It was a really fun experience, I loved the video interview. I felt comfortable doing it, mainly because I make youtube videos so Im fine with being in front of the camera. After doing the video interview I got an email a couple days later about a final interview that was two weeks away and I emailed back saying I would go. I had to fill out a background check form and bring it to the interview along with two professional references. I thought that was really weird how I went straight to a final interview since the last time I got a group interview and then a second interview. The interview was really laid-back, I felt comfortable and I was able to be myself and not be nervous at all. After the interview I waited a while to get a call from them, I haven't heard back in a little over a week so I decided to call and ask them about it, which was when I was offered the position since they just got my background check back that day and they were gonna call me later that day. I was offered the part-time position at $8.75 an hour which I dont mind at all since my last job paid me $8.60 and it took me a year to get it that high (i started at min wage $8.25) so starting at $8.75 was pretty good and plus I have a couple months of retail experience. For any employer I would definitely recommend calling them if you haven't heard back because it shows that you actually care and really want the job. Good luck! :)

Interview Questions
    • - Past job experience; school
      - What do you do in your free time?
      - Tell me about yourself
      - Availability
        Answer Question
    I was offered $8.75 but i didnt negotiate because it was more than i got paid at my old job

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Applied online, and about two days later received an e-mail asking to do an interview through an app called HireVue, which is where I messed up. It was honestly such a weird way of doing things, I wasn't used to it, and I just didn't feel comfortable using it. I would've rather did an in-person interview, but oh well. I interviewed through it, and did the best I could.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you received constructive criticism, and how you took it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online, maybe two weeks later received notification that I would participate in an online interview. This is intended to make you feel comfortable and truly express who you are without the nerves. The first thing in the video interview was to run and grab paper and draw a picture. Some other questions were to describe your style and taste in music, some job history and education history (where you went - high schools, colleges, etc.). The final question was what is one item you can't live without - be creative and have fun with this one. All questions have a time limit so you to ramble on. A day after I was given an ethics test. Less than a week after that I scheduled a time for a group interview. I wore wide leg fabric pants in a tribal pattern with a simple top and wedges. Try to wear something daring and trending - aka kimono, dressed up romper, something to show you have that out of the box style. Don't get worked up about it or you'll be nervous and have artificial answers. After the interview I had to tell the interviewee I would only be able to work for a month before I moved. He said they were rooting for me to do well and was disappointed by this news. Basically I would've very likely been hired otherwise.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you were given excellent customer service   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online on a Wednesday and the application process is pretty straightforward. Just make sure to answer the short answer questions in a manner that makes you seem appealing to UO culture. The following Monday I received an email link to an ethics survey which is easy enough to complete as long as you use common sense and read carefully. A couple hours after I submitted the survey, I received an email inviting me to a group interview in 2 days. I accepted the invitation but I was nervous about the group setting and my absence of retail experience. At my interview, it was just myself and one other applicant. I thought that we both looked the part. Although I was soo nervous, I answered all the questions with wit and honesty and kept my calm. I would recommend reading the other interview questions posted on this site so you know what to expect. After the interview I wasn't feeling particularly confident because the other candidate had previous retail experience and was very personable. The manager who executed the interview was really nice and easygoing, which took the pressure off the interview. At noon the next day I received a call from the manager offering me a position. All in all, be confident with your answers, don't be repetitive, and make yourself stand out from the applicants!

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate given that this was my first retail position and I was happy with the offered wage anyway. I received about 20 cents above minimum wage.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and received a call shortly after to come in to the store for an interview. I interviewed with one of the assistant managers and was asked about my past retail experience, hobbies, and interest in Urban.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any difficult questions. They were all pretty basic and straight forward.   Answer Question