Urban Outfitters

2.2

336 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in September 2014.

They first had me fill out the general information and also asked for a resume, standard protocol. About two days later, I got an email stating that they wanted a video interview. In the video interview, they ask five questions and you have to answer them on the spot. This is where you want to shine, and try to be different than the other candidates for the job. The questions aren't hard, some of them are pretty fun! (for example, they ask you to draw three things and explain why you drew them). If they liked your video interview, then they will request an actual interview with the store manager. Usually it is a group interview, but I got a one-on-one interview which I thought went really well. The manager told me that I would hear from them in upcoming week. Two days later, I received an email stating that I needed to answer their ethics quiz. the quiz is about 78 questions and they ask you about specific scenarios and whether you agree or disagree on the action that was taken. Really easy, just use your common sense. About three days after the quiz, I received another email stating that they wanted a second interview, which I will be going to tomorrow. The most important trick is to be yourself and to not try so hard to be someone you're not. Answer the questions honestly and if they think you're the right fit, you'll get the job!!

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time when something didn't go your way and how you adjusted to the circumstances?   Answer Question

I didn't decline, I haven't had my second interview yet

Other Interview Reviews for Urban Outfitters

Sales Associate Interview

So, I went to a hiring fair where I talked to two team leaders and it was very relaxed. Easy questions like whose style inspires you? What music do you like? Etc. Then I waited for 3 weeks, thinking that they had not decided to contact me. Almost 4 weeks later they called me asking for 1 on 1 interview. This interview was the same with very easy questions, why uo? What do you like about our store? Then I asked about the wage and the manager told me that they hire part time sales associates who get minimum wage or they will hire you as a full time team leader and you could get upwards of $11 an hour. I have been working retail for three years, currently working for $13/hr, and asked if there was any room for me to make a bit more money. He said the only way I could was to work at min wage pt for three months and then apply for a team leader position. I was pretty disappointed. He asked for two references and contacted them. Called me a week later telling me I got the job, which I declined because I can't afford to work for min wage. The whole process took way too long and I think they are very unorganized. It's ridiculous that you have a flat rate of min wage for employees who genuinely like your product and are sales professionals.

Interview Questions

Wanted to pay minimum wage.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2014.

First I applied online. They asked pretty simple questions. Next they had me do a questionnaire with a few tricky questions. They called me in a couple of days later for an interview. It was about 5 of us.
    Some questions they asked were
    -Why do you want to work for Urban?
    -What celeb do you look to for fashion inspiration?
    -How do you deal with customers?
    -What was your experience before at your previous job?
    -If money was no object what would you buy at Urban?
    After that interview I got a call a week later asking for a second interview with the store manager. There were only 3 of us this time. She basically asked the same questions. Then I got a call the same day offering me the position for 8.45 and hour. I accepted.

non negotiable

Sales Associate Interview

I was reached by email to come in on a certain date for a group interview, and for the second interview was emailed then called. Well, the manager claimed she emailed us, but I didn't get anything. I ended up being called to come in literally a day before the interview. The process overall was laid back but it felt more like they were looking to fit an image rather than find good people.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online, received a email to take a video interview and a week later I received a phone call for a groups interview. The manager did not ask any questions, mostly engaging with us. Try to ask as many questions as possible to the managers so you can make an impression. Everyone filled out a background check form right after the interview. A week after the interview I received a job offer.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Group interview was really cool. Questions like, "if you were a borough, what borough would you be and why?" "what is good customer service vs. great customer service," "name an item in this store that you really want to buy," (they're just trying to ensure you are an actual customer of the store with that question) and other general retail stuff.

Interview Questions
    • If a thief came and stole something from the store so quickly, you had no time to react, what would you do?   View Answer
    They tried to give me $9.50 an hour but I told them that Banana Republic gave me $10.25 an hour so they compromised and are paying me $10 an hour.

1. Applied online
    2. Received an email the following day for an online video interview. They asked fun and quirky questions.
    3. Then received feedback to fill out a ethics questionnaire.
    4. Then received an email directly from the store that my application was impressive and would to schedule and in person interview.
    5. Interview in person was quick and easy.
    6. After they called both of my references, I received a call with an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Draw a picture of yourself and explain how it describes your likes and interests.   Answer Question

Too low of pay.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2014.

I applied a while ago to a different location and didnt get the job there but I saw that another location near me was hiring so I decided to apply there. A day later I got an email back asking me to do a video interview. It was a really fun experience, I loved the video interview. I felt comfortable doing it, mainly because I make youtube videos so Im fine with being in front of the camera. After doing the video interview I got an email a couple days later about a final interview that was two weeks away and I emailed back saying I would go. I had to fill out a background check form and bring it to the interview along with two professional references. I thought that was really weird how I went straight to a final interview since the last time I got a group interview and then a second interview. The interview was really laid-back, I felt comfortable and I was able to be myself and not be nervous at all. After the interview I waited a while to get a call from them, I haven't heard back in a little over a week so I decided to call and ask them about it, which was when I was offered the position since they just got my background check back that day and they were gonna call me later that day. I was offered the part-time position at $8.75 an hour which I dont mind at all since my last job paid me $8.60 and it took me a year to get it that high (i started at min wage $8.25) so starting at $8.75 was pretty good and plus I have a couple months of retail experience. For any employer I would definitely recommend calling them if you haven't heard back because it shows that you actually care and really want the job. Good luck! :)

Interview Questions
    • - Past job experience; school
      - What do you do in your free time?
      - Tell me about yourself
      - Availability

Answer Question
    I was offered $8.75 but i didnt negotiate because it was more than i got paid at my old job

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Applied online, and about two days later received an e-mail asking to do an interview through an app called HireVue, which is where I messed up. It was honestly such a weird way of doing things, I wasn't used to it, and I just didn't feel comfortable using it. I would've rather did an in-person interview, but oh well. I interviewed through it, and did the best I could.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you received constructive criticism, and how you took it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online, maybe two weeks later received notification that I would participate in an online interview. This is intended to make you feel comfortable and truly express who you are without the nerves. The first thing in the video interview was to run and grab paper and draw a picture. Some other questions were to describe your style and taste in music, some job history and education history (where you went - high schools, colleges, etc.). The final question was what is one item you can't live without - be creative and have fun with this one. All questions have a time limit so you to ramble on. A day after I was given an ethics test. Less than a week after that I scheduled a time for a group interview. I wore wide leg fabric pants in a tribal pattern with a simple top and wedges. Try to wear something daring and trending - aka kimono, dressed up romper, something to show you have that out of the box style. Don't get worked up about it or you'll be nervous and have artificial answers. After the interview I had to tell the interviewee I would only be able to work for a month before I moved. He said they were rooting for me to do well and was disappointed by this news. Basically I would've very likely been hired otherwise.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you were given excellent customer service   View Answer