Urban Outfitters Sales Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

2.2

301 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

I applied online and about an hour later I received an e-mail with a link to a survey, which took about 20 minutes to complete (they are looking for honesty). The same night an hour after completing the survey, I received the link to the online interview on Hirevue which was kind of strange. The following evening I got an e-mail from the store I had applied to with an invitation to a group interview within two days which was on a Tuesday . I went to the interview bright and early, there were so many people there for an interview I was kind of intimidated, but never let that show. I wore what I would normally wear and most importantly I was my quirky, weird self (btw there were about 8 of us in this group). At the end of the interview the manger told us that he would be giving us a call no later than that Friday evening. I received his phone call Thursdays with job offer.

Interview Questions
  • Draw a picture of yourself and describe it.
    Basically things that represent yourself, could be anything from the music you listen to, to for fashion sense.
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Urban Outfitters

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

1st Interview was a group interview. It was me and two other potential employees (three in total). Very relaxed setting.
    Questions:
    1. What did you do today? ( Trying to see your daily schedule)
    2. Why do you want to work for the company?
    3. Ask 1 question about ANYTHING in the world and 1 question about the company
    4. How would you bring past work experience to assist you in working at U.O.
    5. Ask 2 more questions about ANYTHING

The 2nd Interview was with 2 managers and also group.
    Questions:
    1. Why do you want to work for the company?
    2. What is good customer service?
    3.Tell us a time when you received good AND bad customer service.
    4. Tell us about the last time you had a leadership role in a big project.
    5. What inspires your style?
    6. What's your favorite trend at the moment?
    7. You can ask 1 question about ANYTHING

Just be yourself and let your personality shine through! :)

Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

This interview process was totally different. It was all done online! In the resume I described my work and education, so in this video interview I was asked more personal questions about myself and about my style. I was sent several emails after applying online. After that, I recorded my answers, which were timed,using HireVue. After that, I took a survey and I am not waiting for a call or email back from the company. The interview done in this fashion was an easy way to screen possible employes, and it was done on my own time.

Interview Questions
    • There was a question that asked what my most valuable possession was, and i only had about 30 seconds to prepare for that answer!   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online, and about 2 months later, I got an email asking me to complete an online survey. A few days after the survey, I got another email asking me to confirm a date for a group interview. I confirmed a date, and was finally able to speak to a human being in person. I interviewed with 5 other people at a table, but there were other groups scattered around us. We were interviewed by a department manager and then then some of us were asked to stay behind to interview with the actual store manager (this was done very discreetly, of course). That happened and life went on. Got a call the next day, they offered me the job, I accepted, and they asked if I can come in to fill out paperwork. People that come into our Urban looking for an application are always referred to the online process.

Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in October 2013.

I applied online, filled in the application and answered some customer service questions, and some about myself like what I like to do outside work, and my favorite blogs. There's a group interview then an online survey test about three weeks later, which is as far as I got.

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

I applied online and received an e-mail to answer survey questions. Received another e-mail about 2 days later asking to do an online video interview. You get asked about 4 fairly simple questions. The most difficult was the first question that required you to draw a picture of yourself in 3 minutes. Since I wasn't aware I spent the first 40 seconds frantically looking for a plain piece of paper and pen.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Corte Madera, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in March 2013.

Very quick, applied and within 24 hours received an email from the Store Manager, set up group interview for the following day. After submitting a personality and morality quiz, I was offered a personal One on one interview, which then I got offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • They asked what my greatest weakness was, have I ever had to catch shop lifters etc.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2012.

Was a huge group interview that was unfortunately less about ability and more about who could come up with the most obscure bands and celebrities as answers to the interviewers' questions. Understandable if you realise that they have a particular brand and a particular lifestyle to promote. Overall a friendly, casual interview, but not the right fit for me.

Interview Questions
    • If you could choose any two celebrities to be your parents, who would you choose and why? What music did you listen to on your drive to the interview?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in November 2013.

Group Interview had at least 4 people. It was actually pretty fun. They asked interesting questions as opposed to the usual "why do you want to work here?", "what's your favorite store?". Basically the usual questions that require you to.... donkey kiss the company. You have to show a friendly personality. The more you stand out, the better. Make sure you know some of the retail terms. They want to make sure you can work your way around the store and handle the retail environment. If you pass the group interview the next step is.... the survey. This is where I messed up. Make sure you are cautious about the way you handle the questions. They are not the ones administering it. Another company does and sends it to them so they know who to hire. I unfortunately did not pass that part. But if you do, you move on to a one on one where you definitely have to show you will be a friendly, social but diligent employee. Good luck.

Interview Questions
    • I think the difficult question is always: "Why do you want to work here?". I feel like they're always looking for a different answer. Everyone gives the same answer about loving the store. You have to make the answer fun and creative while showing that you actually do like the company =)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2013.

Applied online while the store was being constructed, so the process was a little different and the candidate pool was much larger. Received an email with options for times to meet for a group interview. Interview took maybe 30 mins at most, with around 5 other candidates in my group. I was interviewed by 2 different managers/a recruiter from different stores. They asked questions like "What kind of fashion styles do you think are trending?" "Where do you get inspirations for your fashion style?" "What type of music do you listen to?" Very conversational and relaxed. About 30 mins after the interview, I received an email stating that I was moving on into the next stage of hiring and was given a link to a personality/ethics quiz. A few days after that I was called by the Store Manager with an offer and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • "What kind of fashion styles do you think are trending?"   Answer Question
    No, negotiation for pay.