Urban Outfitters

Updated Dec 14, 2014

2.2

336 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online on a Wednesday and the application process is pretty straightforward. Just make sure to answer the short answer questions in a manner that makes you seem appealing to UO culture. The following Monday I received an email link to an ethics survey which is easy enough to complete as long as you use common sense and read carefully. A couple hours after I submitted the survey, I received an email inviting me to a group interview in 2 days. I accepted the invitation but I was nervous about the group setting and my absence of retail experience. At my interview, it was just myself and one other applicant. I thought that we both looked the part. Although I was soo nervous, I answered all the questions with wit and honesty and kept my calm. I would recommend reading the other interview questions posted on this site so you know what to expect. After the interview I wasn't feeling particularly confident because the other candidate had previous retail experience and was very personable. The manager who executed the interview was really nice and easygoing, which took the pressure off the interview. At noon the next day I received a call from the manager offering me a position. All in all, be confident with your answers, don't be repetitive, and make yourself stand out from the applicants!

Interview Questions
I didn't negotiate given that this was my first retail position and I was happy with the offered wage anyway. I received about 20 cents above minimum wage.

Other Interview Reviews for Urban Outfitters

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and received a call shortly after to come in to the store for an interview. I interviewed with one of the assistant managers and was asked about my past retail experience, hobbies, and interest in Urban.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any difficult questions. They were all pretty basic and straight forward.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

I applied online once and didn't hear back. I resubmitted my application again about 3 weeks later and I got an email calling me in for a group interview during their job fair day the following week. I went in with 4 other people in the break room and was interviewed by the women's department team leader. The questions were pretty standard and I did a lot of research beforehand so I felt fairly prepared. Everything talked about their experience and everyone had worked in retail previously. I had no retail experience which intimidated me but I showed an eagerness to learn and work. The interview was planned to be about 30 minutes but it was really closer to an hour because everyone was given a chance to talk. We were asked questions about the store (what's good customer service, how would you approach a shoplifter, why do you want to work at urban, etc.) and then questions about our personality (who would be your alter ego, what makes you you/your favorite hobbies, what inspires you.) Afterwards, she let everyone go and told me and another guy to stay back. She told us we were good to move on to the next round, which was a meeting with the store manager. Plot twist, the second interview was going to be in 25 minutes. The interview with the manager was really easy and didn't even feel like an interview. Most of it was just us (me, the guy from my interview, and 2 guys from another interview) getting to him as a person and his background. We spent a lot of time (almost 1.5 hours) just chatting and then he told us at that point we had already received the positions. He was just trying to get a feel for us as people.

The overall process was a bit nerve-wracking for me personally, because I had no retail experience going in and only one job beforehand. However, they told me they were attracted to my positive energy so this is a PSA to people without experience like me: It's not all about experience so don't let your lack of it discourage you! Stay positive. Be eager to learn!

Interview Questions
    • Why Urban Outfitters? Who would be your alter ego? How would you handle a shoplifter? What do you do to keep you inspired?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Its a very simple group interview with all the different managers of the store. My interview consisted of about 6 other people. They ask you random/silly questions and you simply raise your hand or speak up to answers. My advice is to be clever and the first one to answer them. Its not that difficult.

Interview Questions
    • If you could eat dinner with someone (dead or alive) who would it be? (Super random right?)   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I had a group interview with about 5 people, and they (the hiring manager and the women's accessory manager) took us to a restaurant across the street because there wasn't enough space in the store for us. They asked us a series of questions and we went around the table and each got to answer them. Only three of the questions they asked were relevant to the actual job. I got a phone call a week later with an offer to work with them for $8/hr.

Interview Questions
    • There was honestly nothing difficult or unexpected from the interview questions. The ones that were relevant to the position were the usual "tell me about a time you took a leadership position in something" to "how did you deal with a difficult customer or co-worker." They asked a bunch of unrelated questions as well, such as what your favorite trend was and what 3-5 bands you would put together for a music festival.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate; the pay was $8/hr.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

I applied online and less than a week later I got an email asking for a video interview. They asked four questions for the video interview and I had to record myself answering them. It was fairly relaxed and easy. One of the questions was to draw a picture of myself/life and describe it. Then I got an email a few days after that to fill out an ethics survey which had to do with things like loss prevention, drugs, and customer service. About 2 days after that I got a call to come in for an interview. The interview was one on one, very relaxed and welcoming. I was asked to tell him about myself, what I know about Urban, why I'd like to work there, a challenge I've had to overcome, something that inspired me recently, what I do when I'm not working, what do you look for in an ideal coworker/boss, and questions about availability and my previous job. Overall, it was a pretty fun interview and felt more like a comfortable conversation. I was offered the job on the spot. My advice is to dress the part, do your homework on the company, be confident, and just be yourself. Also, in regards to the question "Why Urban?", what I've learned from friends who have worked there/are working there, do not say you want to work there because of the clothes. Say something about the company itself, show that you know what UO is all about.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

I applied online. A few days later, I received an email about doing a video interview on hirevue which was pretty cool because you were just recording your answers so it wasn't like you had to talk to anybody. Two weeks after that I received an email about completing a online survey (the answers were clearly common sense, not hard at all) and then a week or so later I got an e-mail about having an interview. My interview was one on one. The women's manager emailed me about the interview, but she wasn't there so the store manager was supposed to do it, but he got stuck on a conference call so one of the assistant managers did it, and it was like I was having a regular conversation with a friend about our likes and dislikes. The interview was good there weren't any crazy questions I got asked and the questions were pretty much the same as the other people have said: loss prevention, what are your hobbies, what trends are you into, etc. After the interview she told me that she would do a reference check and I would hear back from her soon. I got really excited because she told me I seemed like a good fit (make sure you smile a lot ad engage the interviewer, they love that!) and even though I didn't have any previous retail experience that was okay because they would teach me whatever I needed to know. After six days of me waiting for them to call and refreshing my e-mail every five seconds like a crazy person, I was called with a job offer!

Interview Questions
    • there wasn't any crazy questions, nothing caught me off guard.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate, the pay was waay better than any other minimum wage job I had and I really wanted to work there anyway.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

I applied online to four store locations. Three of the four stores never got back to me even after weeks of attempted phone calls I've made inquiring if the position was taken, they repeatedly told me it was still open, but it is taking them a while to get through applications. I never heard back from any of the three stores. The fourth store, and the second one I applied to, responded to my application within two weeks and scheduled an interview for a week from when they called me. I attended the interview and then another two weeks passed by until they contacted me again for a second interview. After the second interview I didn't get a response for nearly three weeks. I received an E-mail with instructions to setting up my W-2's and other miscellaneous information, aka I was hired.
    The only annoying thing about this company is how slow they are with hiring people. I applied at the beginning of June and didn't officially start until the beginning of august.

Questions at the interview:

**A lot of the questions were behavioral**

1)describe a time when you thought you provided outstanding customer service, how did you go the extra mile?

2)describe a time where you had to work together with other people?

3)describe a time where you had to work in a group and you did not get along with other member of the group? How did you handle the situation?

4)What or whom is your fashion inspiration?

5)Why Urban Outfitters?

6)Where do you see yourself in five years?

7)How would you handle an angry customer?

Interview Questions
    • I was given one minute to sketch something on a piece of paper that described who I was   View Answer
    No negotiation, I didn't even find out what my hourly wage was until my second day of work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

This interview process was totally different. It was all done online! In the resume I described my work and education, so in this video interview I was asked more personal questions about myself and about my style. I was sent several emails after applying online. After that, I recorded my answers, which were timed,using HireVue. After that, I took a survey and I am not waiting for a call or email back from the company. The interview done in this fashion was an easy way to screen possible employes, and it was done on my own time.

Interview Questions
    • There was a question that asked what my most valuable possession was, and i only had about 30 seconds to prepare for that answer!   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online, and about 2 months later, I got an email asking me to complete an online survey. A few days after the survey, I got another email asking me to confirm a date for a group interview. I confirmed a date, and was finally able to speak to a human being in person. I interviewed with 5 other people at a table, but there were other groups scattered around us. We were interviewed by a department manager and then then some of us were asked to stay behind to interview with the actual store manager (this was done very discreetly, of course). That happened and life went on. Got a call the next day, they offered me the job, I accepted, and they asked if I can come in to fill out paperwork. People that come into our Urban looking for an application are always referred to the online process.