Urban Outfitters

Getting the Interview

249 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a opinion survey the next day. I filled it out and got and email inviting me to an open interview about a week later. I went to the interview lookin' hip af but I was sick so like high on cough syrup. Anyway, there were about 5 people there, and 3 had previous experience. The hiring manager interviewed us and was super nice but literally asked 3 questions, so I didn't feel I was given a very good chance to represent myself. Although I did really bad on the first question. I was definitely the youngest/most nervous one there, but also best dressed. She said that they were hiring a lot of people, so we were not fighting for spots or anything. Which gave me hope since I didn't feel I did strongly. 3 days later I got a generic rejection letter via email. Super bummed because I really wanted to work at UO and feel like I would have been a good fit for the company.

Interview Question – If you have experience with loss prevention describe how you would handle a shoplifter.   View Answer

Sales Associate

I interviewed at Urban Outfitters in October 2013.

Interview Details – there was a group of us and we just sat in a circle and were asked questions about ourselves and previous work experience and why we wanted to work there it was pretty relaxed

Interview Question – If you had a 100 dollars what would you spend it on   Answer Question

Sacramento, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – The job interviews were in a very chill environment. I came into the job fair they had after applying online and my first interview was a one on one with one of the supervisors they had in that store I was applying to. I came in dressed in my favorite hipster outfit but I might have been over dressed bc everyone else waiting in line looked very casual. I waited about an hour until the first interview. Questions were simple and mostly aimed towards myself and not really the job. It was a very quick interview mainly focused on my personality. When I went home after two days they emailed me the ethics quiz and it is quite tricky to be honest. I guess I passed it bc two days later I got an email saying they wanted a second interview with me. It ended up being a group interview with 5 other people. When I got there and I dressed nicely again. This time the interview took a lot longer bc everyone answered each question one after the other and I kinda just answered the question when I could think of something rather than chiming in first or second. Everyone had really good responses to be honest like some guy said he collects bottle caps and makes sculptures out of it and wrote a play and it was performed at his college. Also another guy said he was contacted by wyclef for one of the promotional banners he designed for fun. I kinda felt under qualified or not artistic enough for the job after I left the interview but I ended up getting it bc they called me offering the position and I was surprised. Not sure what exactly they were looking for because all I really emphasized was my interests and participation in fashion and the blogging world.

Interview Question – What was your most recent accomplishment?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation since I didn't have prior retail experience.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in October 2013.

Interview Details – I first began by going to this job fair they were promoting at a local UO. It was advertised for walk-in interviews in the afternoon so I decided to go there right as it started. There were maybe 50-60 other people that had lined up along with me and they organized 3-5 people per group interview. The interview was fairly simple but also very important as it's their way of screening your style and communication skills. I think it's safe to say that if you don't dress the part (hipster/trendy/fashionable- basically like one of their customers), you aren't going to get the job. Be creative, don't be boring or too over the top, just be yourself.

The interview was held in the fitting rooms with the manager and another employee and lasted about 10-15 minutes wherein they asked just a few simple questions, each person getting to answer in an order. The questions they asked included: "Describe a time that you had a good customer service experience either through work or visiting a store", "Describe some recent trends this season", "What qualities/characteristics do you like to see in a leader?", and "Why do you want to work at UO?". I looked up the interview process on this website before the open interviews and wrote a few questions down and prepared an answer for each one so I was pretty prepared. As long as you can speak clearly, be creative and personable, they'll most likely call you for a second interview. Try not to stutter, say "uh"'s or "um"'s, chew gum, or hold on to your cell phone while doing the interview (all of which I saw while doing mine). You do not need to bring a resume or anything else besides yourself because they'll make you fill out the online application.

2 days after that interview, they called me again for a second interview. This was another group interview with 4 other people. This time, the interview was held in the backroom with another manager. Overall, the interview lasted close to an hour; we were asked numerous questions, sometimes in an order, sometimes just choosing randomly, but we all got a chance to respond. Questions included "Why do you want to work at UO?", "Describe yourself', "Describe your fashion style", "From who/what do you get your fashion inspiration from?", "Describe a time you had to be creative at work", "What are your strengths and weaknesses?", and numerous other questions that weren't exactly related to the job at hand but moreso about yourself, your personality, and your interests (fashion, music, art). The interview was really laid back and flowed almost like a group conversation rather than an interview, everyone was having fun and we shared a couple laughs here and there. Try not to go over the top, just be relaxed and have fun with it!

After that, I got an email a few hours later that included an ethics survey that I had to fill out. The survey was fairly simple, it just asks on a scale of 1-10 whether you agree or disagree on certain scenarios such as "It is okay to smoke marijuana before coming to work" (hint: you select Disagree). Again, nothing much to worry about. From there, I waited about 3 days until I got another email saying I was hired and was later called by the manager to make sure that I got it.

P.S. I had 0 retail experience and still got hired so don't worry about that. Sure it's a plus but that's not all they're looking for.

Interview Question – What qualities do you look for in a leader?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase, they just handed me some documents with my wage and I just had to sign some papers.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – I was expecting a group interview, but it turned to be the individual kind. Very basic questions, nothing too tricky. The interview was about 10 minutes or less.

Interview Question – No difficult question.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in November 2013.

Interview Details – I went into the store to ask if they were hiring and they told me to check back at the end of the month, so I applied online in late September. They didn't contact me for about a month so I actually landed a job at American Apparel and accepted that. Coincidentally my friend had just gotten hired by Urban and he told me they were about to set up interviews. I got an email about a job fair, and the day before it, my friend worked and I happened to be in the store so he went ahead and introduced me to the manager. The manager and I hit it off, he told me not to bother showing up the the first interview because they had already gone through online applications and I was in the pile of the people they did want and he instructed me to just show up to the more intimate followup. So two weeks later, the interview came up, it was five girls, half an hour long. Very basic questions, how would you compliment our team, what trends do you not like, what previous experience have you had, etc. Most of the other interviewees had retail experience but only some of us looked what I would consider the "UO" look. They told us they'd probably contact us via email that same night, so when I didn't get an email for a few days I got worried. Then I got a phone call, and they basically told me if I wanted the job I would have to quit American Apparel because they're competing brands, so initially I declined because the pay at Aa is so much better, but after playing phone tag with both managers for a few hours I sent my two weeks to American Apparel and took the spot at Urban. The pay may be a wee bit lower but it isn't anything that isn't able to be earned, and the staff is honestly much more lovely, and it seems like a good job environment all around.

Interview Question – What's a common misconception about yourself?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – Applied online, and was contacted a week later through e-mail to attend a group interview. There were around 7 people at my group interview. Questions were really basic. Not everyone got to answer every question so try and stand out by answering first or second. Was told that I would receive an online survey within 24 hours if they were going forward with my application, and then would have a second interview with a store manager.

Interview Question – Why UO?   Answer Question

Buffalo, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – I heard that they were doing a job fair on a wed so I applied and came in. It was a group interview with four people. Very chill and friendly and they didnt ask no more than 5 questions. Two days later I received an email with a survey attached(answer the way your grandparents will) and the following two days on a friday I received an email asking for 2 references. That monday I received a call offering me the position. Dress the part it definitely counts!

Interview Question – whats a good enviroment to work in.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. .I liked the pay.

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – After applying online I had received an email inviting me to a group interview. When I arrived for the interview I (and 6 others who were scheduled) were told that there was a mistake and we should come back again, weeks later. Then we were finally interviewed and the company called me within a week to tell me I was hired.

Interview Question – They were all pretty standard customer service related questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It wasn't until my second day of training that a manager was able to tell me what I was going to be paid hourly.

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2013.

Interview Details – Very basic group interview. They ask you about customer service experience, why you want to work there, etc.

Interview Question – If you organized a show name 3 bands who'd play in order from opening acts to headlining   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase