Urban Outfitters

Getting the Interview

249 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Christiana, DE

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2012.

Interview Details – went in for a group interview done by 2 managers with 4 other candidates (looking back i should have dressed more like urbans customer and less business casual) was a chill quick interview didnt last but maybe 10min, they asked simple ice breaker questions followed by standard interview questions (tell us about yourself, why urban, etc.). After, they gave us all a sheet directing us to an online questionnaire to do when we got home, the questionnaire again pretty straightforward (with a lot of focus on substance abuse at work. . .just use your brain) then maybe 5 or so days later got a call for an 1 on 1 interview, went smooth same standard interview questions (found out later that other employees got hired right after the 1 on 1 on the spot) another 5 or so days i got a call with an offer.

Interview Question – no difficult or trick questions, just look over interview questions and answers for a few days before your interview(s)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no real negotiation
1) because i had no prior retail experience
2) i was previously unemployed for a lengthy period of time
3) because of #2 i eagerly accepted the first offer

however if #1 and #2 is not your case then definitely negotiate they are open, they're not going to fire you now worst case scenario they'll just let you know that they cant come up any further in which case up to you whether you are ok with that

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2010.

Interview Details – Easy - Store manager was really nice

Negotiation Details – would you like to work for urban outfitters

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – Pretty straightforward interview process. They usually start off with a group interview with other candidates. Your best bet is to try to stand out in the group. They ask pretty basic interview questions. "why do you want to work here?" "What experience do you have?"

Interview Question – Only unexpected question would be "where do you get your fashion news from?"   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Torrance, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online it took two weeks for them to respond. I got an email for an interview the questions were really easy and simple to answer. Two weeks later I got an email stating I didn't get the job. You should definitely have a backup plan because I answered the questions effectively and still didn't get the job.

Interview Question – There are no difficult questions.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in September 2013.

Interview Details – Not sure what the managers were really looking for. I was the only one in my group with any retail experience (and 6 years at that), but I didn't even get a call back for a second interview. To be honest, the managers were very young and did not seem to be too competent (not making eye contact, scrambling to pick interview questions). The interview was done in a group so I know how the other candidates responded, and I definitely had the best answers. They asked about work experience, current trends, and the typical "why this store?" question. I believe that Urban does not really care too much about actual competence of potential employees and cares more about who comes in dressed the most hip.

Interview Question – What would you do if a you knew a fellow employee was stealing?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online on a Saturday and heard back almost immediately with an email invite to a group interview the following Tuesday. I wore a thrifted sweater and colored jeans; not terribly, over-the-top hipster, but a look that was similar enough to Urban’s, as well as casual enough for them to get a sense of what would be my everyday work attire.

When I got there, it wasn’t a group interview at all, but a one-on-one interview with two men who were hiring managers at the location. It took ten minutes at most, and I asked them three or four questions at the end. They were super friendly, but I initially took the quickness of the interview as a bad sign, seeing as we had discussed very few logistics of the job. About an hour later, I was sent the ethics survey that other reviews have warned about. I completed it in about the 15 minutes allotted, and I received a call an hour or so later with a job offer.

My advice would be to use your intuition in terms of the survey and don’t obsess about it. I think what helped in receiving an offer was stressing my interest in art and music rather than only dwelling on your love for the clothes Urban sells. They seem to look for someone who is interested in Urban’s overall mission and style beyond fashion. I would recommend being ready for both a group interview and one-on-one interview, as I only expected to have the opportunity to build off others’ answers, etc.

Interview Question – How would you handle a shoplifter?   Answer Question

Baltimore, MD

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in April 2009.

Interview Details – I was told to come in and meet the manager by a friend whom lived my personality and asked me to come in for interview after I immediately filed out my application. They usually have group interviews but I just had a one on one interview with the hiring manager. Some days later I was asked to come and do the prion which is the next step for the hiring process. I'm assuming I passed it because I was offered the position. This all happened in about a week and a half surprisingly.

Interview Question – I didn't really have in difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't need to negotiate at the time because I was fine with the pay it was quite a bit more then my last job. Dont be afraid to ask for more though if you think you deserve and can prove you deserve it as well. Some managers are willing to work with you.

Las Vegas, NV

I applied through other source and interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – I went to the store for an open interview 3 years ago which they had advertised online. It was happening throughout the weekend so it wasn't crowded and only had to wait for a few minutes. I was then taken to the back of the store where one employee interviewed me. It was really casual- asked questions such as what music I liked to listen to, why I wanted to work there, why I would be a good employee for UO etc. I thought it had went very well and interviewer kept saying and reassuring me that I "would most likely be hired." Two weeks later, I received a postcard in the mail saying that I would not be hired.

A few weeks ago, I decided to apply again because they are opening a new store in the city. I thought it would be a better chance to get hired this time around. I applied online. A few days later, I saw that they were advertising open interviews for the new store opening and advised for people to apply online first before arriving at the open interview, which I had already. A few weeks later I attended the "Open Interviews" but it turned out they were only interviews for management positions although the advert was misleading (It had said "Open interviews for all positions" and did not specify what kind for what day). Apparently only those who applied online for management positions AND had received an e-mail were supposed to attend the interviews that day. I was then told that I should wait for an e-mail to set up an appointment for Sales Associates position "open interviews" that were going to be next month. A week later I had received an e-mail saying my application was denied.

Interview Question – Why do you think you would be a good employee at Urban Outfitters?   Answer Question

King of Prussia, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in May 2010.

Interview Details – 1. Phone interview. 2. In-person group interview. Easy.

Interview Question – What kind of music do you like to listen to?   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online to a new store opening in my area. A couple of weeks later, I received an interview stating that they were holding essentially walk-in interviews at a local hotel, in a window of a few hours. I went there dressed in Urban Oufitters apparel (greyish shorts and a coral button-down with some knock-off Tom's) and interviewed one-on-one (it probably would have been a group interview, but no other candidates were there at the time) with one of the ladies who was there. Some of the questions were:

Tell of a time you had good customer service.
Who or what is your inspiration?
Tell a few things about yourself or how would you describe yourself?

A week or two later, I got a call saying that I was hired.

As it was a new store opening, they really needed workers to help out, therefore I don't quite know if I was actually successful at the interview or if they just hired me for the muscle.

Interview Question – What would you do if you noticed a customer acting suspicious, as if they were about to steal?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – $8/hr