Urban Outfitters

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate (Seasonal) Interview

Sales Associate (Seasonal)
San Diego, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in September 2011.

Interview Details – first: large line to get preliminary interview if accepted fill out online test.
second: call back with manager for group interview

they asked simple questions: favorite album, best quality, past experience, trends, etc.

Interview Question – why do you want to work for urban outfitters?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – Applied online. I received an invitation to a group interview a few days later. Went to the interview and joined 7 other candidates during the process. The interview was friendly and asked questions such as "Why UO?" "Who's someone who has inspired you?" "What can you offer to UO?" There were multiple tables and from what the interview mentioned, there was an estimated 300+ interviews for about 40 positions... not including walk-in interviews.

Interview Question – Tell us something about yourself that will help us remember you.   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – one group interview, then call-back with store manager for final interview. got the job over the phone

Interview Question – Fashion inspirations/ what is LP (loss prevention)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – didn't need to negotiate

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – Group interview. There were about 6 other people. We went around the table back and forth answering the same and sometimes different questions. Very nerve wracking experience for me.

Interview Question – Who is your fashion icon?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online for a new store opening up at Fashion Valley mall and a couple days later received an email inviting me to a group interview. I showed up to the location with my resume, where others were waiting to get called into groups for an interview. We were put into groups of 6. My group was interviewed by one of the district managers. The interview itself was very laid back and felt comfortable. We were asked: What two words best describe yourself? Why Urban Outfitters? What gets you up in the morning? Do you have job experience? We were told we would receive an email 4-7 days if we got the job.

A couple of days after the interview I received an email from UO to take a survey. The survey consisted of situations where you can choose to strongly agree to strongly disagree. Hours after completing the survey, I received another email from UO inviting me for a second interview.

The second interview was also group interviews. We were told that they narrowed the first round of interviews to 150 people from 500 people, which is why they held a second interview--to narrow it even more down to 50 new employees. This time we were interviewed by two of the managers who were going to work for the new store. This interview was more serious than the first one with questions such as: What can you bring to the table at UO? What is the most important aspect of a job? What duties are important in the workplace? We were told we would hear from them within 10-14 days.

After about 11 days I received an email from UO offering me the job which I gladly replied accepting it. Within this email it stated when my first day is and the hourly rate.

Interview Question – What is the most important aspect of a job?   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was emailed with an invitation to a group interview. I scheduled an appointment, arrived early, and still had to wait about 20-30 minutes while others whom had NOT scheduled an appointment were interviewed before me. First warning sign!

Let me just note, the e-mail said to dress "casual," yet some people looked ridiculous. Casual interview apparel has apparently turned into what you wear to go to the beach or go clubbing with your girliessssss!

I was put into a group with 5 others- two of the girls were friends and already work together at another retail store. They were the only ones in the group with retail experience, yet they really exaggerated their PART-TIME experience and the importance of their STOCKROOM positions. The interviewer was the only one in our group who couldn't see through that. The rest of us were doomed from the start.

The real problem was with the interviewer. She ignored everyone in the group who did not have retail experience, yet were college educated and had work experience that is MUCH more relevant in the real world than working at Urban Outfitters. (No offense, some of us are just really desperate for a summer job).

I'm sure people reading this have read the other experiences that people have written about, in which advice is given regarding how to answer the (stupid) questions and how to stand out in the group. Anyone with common sense would tell you to: be brief, get your point across, and answer in a unique way to make yourself stand out.

The interviewer also did not like that. Everyone else in my group found ourselves listening to the same 2 girls ranting on and on about their "fun and soooo cute!" experiences at their current jobs, and not really talking about their experience serving/helping others in a relevant and CLEAR way. I guess she loved that though.

The most annoying thing was that she didn't even bother to cover her interview sheets. She turned it over at one point and everyone in my group could see what she said about them. She completely dismissed everyone in the group, except for the 2 other girls. The only question she answered for us inferior people was whether or not we "reflected Urban culture." I don't know how she thought she answered that correctly, as she never even paid attention to what the actually educated/qualified people were saying.

Overall, I would suggest to not even bother with Urban Outfitters in the San Diego area if you're truly unique, kind and intelligent. They are all very pretentious and act as if they are more qualified than they really are. They also think they can make accurate assumptions and decide whether or not people are "worthy" when they don't even pay attention to everyone in the group interview. They like what they like and what they get for that = horrible employee turnover rates/internal theft in the long run.

We were told that we would be contacted by e-mail, yet I never was. I knew that it went badly but an e-mail or a phone call would be the courteous thing to do, especially from a company that rants about how they're sooooo people oriented and care about others while interviewing potential employees. .

Interview Question – Talk about someone that you have worked with in the past that has inspired you. How did they help you become a better employee and person?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2013.

Interview Details – They were really chill about everything, but when I showed up they told me the company policy that they can't hire anyone under 18, and they can't post that on the website or its considered age discrimination... I was allowed to sit in on the interview and the woman was really condescending about how old I was, she kept making remarks about it, along with saying how cute I was. She kept saying she wanted to get to know us, and if she liked us then she would hire us.

Interview Question – They only asked our name and what we like to do, and why you want to work at urban. She also casually asked about work experience.   Answer Question

Carlsbad, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2012.

Interview Details – It was a group interview, basic questions about retail and why you would like to work for the company. All in all it was pretty relaxed.. (STYLE MATTERS .. remember that!)

Women's Sales Associate Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details – I have always shopped at UO so I figured I might as well work there. I went in to fill out and application and turn in my resume. The hiring manager was there at the time he took my papers and said he would call me back. I got called back for an interview the very same day. After I scheduled the interview I had a one on one with the hiring manager. For some miracle I skipped the initial interview which is a group interview. Overall it was a very easy interview, they asked me questions mostly trying to figure out if I fit the image of UO (so be very hipster.)

Interview Question – What is the best customer service you have given?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was quick and over the phone.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in October 2011.

Interview Details – I saw that Urban was having a holiday job fair for holiday sales via their email list, so I stopped by the location closest to me to apply. The first interview consisted of a 1-on-1 interview with the men's team leader, where he asked why I wanted to work at Urban, and generally tried to get a feel for me and see if I fit the company. There was another team leader there doing interviews also, but he looked like a total douchelord, so I'm glad I didn't interview with him. I didn't see that he was giving anyone slips for the online opinion survey either. Anyway, my interviewer liked me so he gave me a slip with a code to take the opinion survey. I got home and took it right away, the questions were tricky and you had to pay attention to what was being asked overall and not to answer incorrectly. The questionnaire gives an example of the tricky questions and what is really being asked by the question. After I finished and submitted my survey, I got a call a few days later from the assistant store manager to come in for an interview on the following Friday, I agreed. When I got to the store I went to the registers to tell them I was there for an interview. The girl on registers was really friendly and directed me to where the interview was being held. When I got to the interview area I saw that there was a ton of people, probably around 15 people waiting to interview. I was worried it was going to be a group interview and it turns out it was. All 15 of us were interviewed by the store manager, where we were asked individually why we wanted to work for Urban, where we worked now and what what kind of experience we've had in customer service. Then we each were asked something random about our interests/opinions by the store manager. I'm pretty sure this was to see who was putting on a front and who really fit the company's culture. The questions were some like: "what was the last movie you saw?" "what was the last album you downloaded?" "what was the last concert you went to?" "what was the last piece of clothing you purchased from Urban?" "how do you choose your outfits?" After that the interview was done and the store manager said bye and that we'd hear back by the following Wednesday. Some people stuck around to talk to the store manager, but I just left not really feeling sure how the interview went. I waited and thought about calling to see if they had made any decisions the whole week, then by Tuesday I hadn't received a call so I figured I wasn't getting hired. Then around 4pm I got a call while I was at work, later checked the voicemail and called Urban back, got an offer for the holiday from the assistant store manager and accepted it.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Urban?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The holiday pay rate wasn't negotiable. Though after holiday, if I am kept, my pay can go up considering all my experience.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Urban Outfitters interview questions and advice in San Diego, CA. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Urban Outfitters employees and interview candidates.