Urban Outfitters

Updated Sep 3, 2014
Updated Sep 3, 2014

2.4

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online and they called me the next day for a group interview.. The group interview was a little overwhelming because there were about 10 or so people and they were more group interviews scheduled that day... They asked questions like "Whats your style?" and "what are your passions in life?"

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online, maybe two weeks later received notification that I would participate in an online interview. This is intended to make you feel comfortable and truly express who you are without the nerves. The first thing in the video interview was to run and grab paper and draw a picture. Some other questions were to describe your style and taste in music, some job history and education history (where you went - high schools, colleges, etc.). The final question was what is one item you can't live without - be creative and have fun with this one. All questions have a time limit so you to ramble on. A day after I was given an ethics test. Less than a week after that I scheduled a time for a group interview. I wore wide leg fabric pants in a tribal pattern with a simple top and wedges. Try to wear something daring and trending - aka kimono, dressed up romper, something to show you have that out of the box style. Don't get worked up about it or you'll be nervous and have artificial answers. After the interview I had to tell the interviewee I would only be able to work for a month before I moved. He said they were rooting for me to do well and was disappointed by this news. Basically I would've very likely been hired otherwise.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you were given excellent customer service   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

This interview process was totally different. It was all done online! In the resume I described my work and education, so in this video interview I was asked more personal questions about myself and about my style. I was sent several emails after applying online. After that, I recorded my answers, which were timed,using HireVue. After that, I took a survey and I am not waiting for a call or email back from the company. The interview done in this fashion was an easy way to screen possible employes, and it was done on my own time.

Interview Questions
    • There was a question that asked what my most valuable possession was, and i only had about 30 seconds to prepare for that answer!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Applied online and received and e-mail for an interview. Two group interviews, if you got the job they called you. Fairly easy interview. They take into account what you're wearing, your inspirations, and personality. They want honesty and someone who is genuine.

Interview Questions
    • Who do you look to for fashion inspiration? What are your favorite stores to shop?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. It was 8.75 ph starting.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Applied online. I received an invitation to a group interview a few days later. Went to the interview and joined 7 other candidates during the process. The interview was friendly and asked questions such as "Why UO?" "Who's someone who has inspired you?" "What can you offer to UO?" There were multiple tables and from what the interview mentioned, there was an estimated 300+ interviews for about 40 positions... not including walk-in interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us something about yourself that will help us remember you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

one group interview, then call-back with store manager for final interview. got the job over the phone

didn't need to negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Group interview. There were about 6 other people. We went around the table back and forth answering the same and sometimes different questions. Very nerve wracking experience for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2013.

I applied online for a new store opening up at Fashion Valley mall and a couple days later received an email inviting me to a group interview. I showed up to the location with my resume, where others were waiting to get called into groups for an interview. We were put into groups of 6. My group was interviewed by one of the district managers. The interview itself was very laid back and felt comfortable. We were asked: What two words best describe yourself? Why Urban Outfitters? What gets you up in the morning? Do you have job experience? We were told we would receive an email 4-7 days if we got the job.

A couple of days after the interview I received an email from UO to take a survey. The survey consisted of situations where you can choose to strongly agree to strongly disagree. Hours after completing the survey, I received another email from UO inviting me for a second interview.

The second interview was also group interviews. We were told that they narrowed the first round of interviews to 150 people from 500 people, which is why they held a second interview--to narrow it even more down to 50 new employees. This time we were interviewed by two of the managers who were going to work for the new store. This interview was more serious than the first one with questions such as: What can you bring to the table at UO? What is the most important aspect of a job? What duties are important in the workplace? We were told we would hear from them within 10-14 days.

After about 11 days I received an email from UO offering me the job which I gladly replied accepting it. Within this email it stated when my first day is and the hourly rate.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2013.

They were really chill about everything, but when I showed up they told me the company policy that they can't hire anyone under 18, and they can't post that on the website or its considered age discrimination... I was allowed to sit in on the interview and the woman was really condescending about how old I was, she kept making remarks about it, along with saying how cute I was. She kept saying she wanted to get to know us, and if she liked us then she would hire us.

Interview Questions
    • They only asked our name and what we like to do, and why you want to work at urban. She also casually asked about work experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2013.

I applied online and was emailed with an invitation to a group interview. I scheduled an appointment, arrived early, and still had to wait about 20-30 minutes while others whom had NOT scheduled an appointment were interviewed before me. First warning sign!

Let me just note, the e-mail said to dress "casual," yet some people looked ridiculous. Casual interview apparel has apparently turned into what you wear to go to the beach or go clubbing with your girliessssss!

I was put into a group with 5 others- two of the girls were friends and already work together at another retail store. They were the only ones in the group with retail experience, yet they really exaggerated their PART-TIME experience and the importance of their STOCKROOM positions. The interviewer was the only one in our group who couldn't see through that. The rest of us were doomed from the start.

The real problem was with the interviewer. She ignored everyone in the group who did not have retail experience, yet were college educated and had work experience that is MUCH more relevant in the real world than working at Urban Outfitters. (No offense, some of us are just really desperate for a summer job).

I'm sure people reading this have read the other experiences that people have written about, in which advice is given regarding how to answer the (stupid) questions and how to stand out in the group. Anyone with common sense would tell you to: be brief, get your point across, and answer in a unique way to make yourself stand out.

The interviewer also did not like that. Everyone else in my group found ourselves listening to the same 2 girls ranting on and on about their "fun and soooo cute!" experiences at their current jobs, and not really talking about their experience serving/helping others in a relevant and CLEAR way. I guess she loved that though.

The most annoying thing was that she didn't even bother to cover her interview sheets. She turned it over at one point and everyone in my group could see what she said about them. She completely dismissed everyone in the group, except for the 2 other girls. The only question she answered for us inferior people was whether or not we "reflected Urban culture." I don't know how she thought she answered that correctly, as she never even paid attention to what the actually educated/qualified people were saying.

Overall, I would suggest to not even bother with Urban Outfitters in the San Diego area if you're truly unique, kind and intelligent. They are all very pretentious and act as if they are more qualified than they really are. They also think they can make accurate assumptions and decide whether or not people are "worthy" when they don't even pay attention to everyone in the group interview. They like what they like and what they get for that = horrible employee turnover rates/internal theft in the long run.

We were told that we would be contacted by e-mail, yet I never was. I knew that it went badly but an e-mail or a phone call would be the courteous thing to do, especially from a company that rants about how they're sooooo people oriented and care about others while interviewing potential employees. .

Interview Questions
    • Talk about someone that you have worked with in the past that has inspired you. How did they help you become a better employee and person?   Answer Question